What are you doing?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Picked some wild black raspberries from the field up by the road. I got about a pint. I would have picked more, but the mosquitoes were horrid, not something you want to battle while picking raspberries.

Oh boy, do those sound good! :yum: Sorry about the mosquitos, though.

I won't say I have wasted most of the day away, since I don't feel that learning history is a waste of time. But I went to PBS to find out about Doc Martin and if there was going to be a Chapter 7. There is next Spring 2016.

From there I somehow found my way to all the residences that the Royal family owns or uses. I didn't realize there were so many. I have manage to take a virtual tour of some of the rooms including the ding rooms for official dinners. I showed Pirate the picture and ask him if he would like to set that table for dinner. All he told me was that he would refuse to wash the silverware. A chore he absolutely hates. I wash all the silverware, we share the dishes and he does all the pans. I have learned the history of each castle and palace and what it is used for. And I am only on residence #4. I even found out that Princes William and Harry have a small castle for their own offices. And Harry is so far down the pole for the throne, by the time his number comes due, he will be still chasing the girls and just not interested in the job. Why give up all that fun for a job that is full of "stuffy".

Back to my reading about the U.K residences of the Royal family. :angel:

We just got home from having the propane tank for the grill refilled. It was a bit of a production because we had never done it before. We went to Canadian Tire. Turns out that you don't get them refilled in the store, but at their gas station in the corner of their parking lot. You can buy a new one in the store.

We also decided to get a gauge, so we will know approximately how much gas is left. Stirling waited in the entrance to the store with the empty propane tank on a flatbed shopping cart. I went into the store to buy the gauge. I asked the clerk if the $7.99 gauge would work with any tank that fit a Mastercraft (Canadian Tire's own brand) grill and he assured me it would. Stirling looked at it and had doubts. Then he found the fine print on the package that said it was only for a specific brand of propane tank, not the brand we have. So, I had to return the gauge and get the one for $29.99. Then we wheeled the cart to the gas station and got it filled. I went and got the car, rather than wheeling the danged tank to the car.

The new gauge fits and is attached now. I'm all pooped out.

Didn't get much done. Did some weeding, but the skeeters are really intense and kept chasing me back inside.

Doberman Rescue

I just got back from my local airport where a couple just flew a beautiful red rescued doberman down from the San Francisco Bay Area. We have a local shelter that places them with adopting families.
I also fly for Pilots & Paws, and have flown other dogs to their new homes.

Sous Chef and I are just settling down from all the fire excitement today. He was out on the front porch after flying with two buddies today when all hell broke loose in the dry river bottom between our house and the mountain we look at every day. Giant flames had broken out with all the dry brush and the wind was moving it fast!! All our neighbors were in a tizzy along with us! Thankfully the winds were moving it along the river and not towards us but the visible flames from our porch were really scary. The fire helicopters and air tankers flew most of the afternoon chasing the fire down the dry riverbed. Naturally, Steve had his radio scanner keeping track of all going on. In all, 152 acres has now burned, and passed us now. Pheww......

Last edited:
I was just reading about the fire down your way earlier, Kay. Glad everyone is OK and no structures have burned. 'tis that time of year here. :(

I will every so often jokingly refer to the seasons of California. The rainy season, the mud slide season, the dry season and the fire season. But deep down my heart breaks when I see the damage that these seasons can and do create. My heart breaks for the people living in those areas. My girlfriend lives in Orange County and fortunately she lives in a rather flat area just a couple of blocks from the ocean. She is not in any of those areas except maybe rain, that have one of those seasons. But that doesn't stop me from worrying about her.

With the major, major drought you folks are in, I can't help but worry what is going to happen in the next year or two for California. Today was just a small taste of things to come if your water situation doesn't improve real soon. :angel:

Now after it's over, I'm thinking about the sound of the burning. Not something I ever want to hear again, to be sure.

Yeah....the sound of the popping and crackling. That sticks in the mind after the danger of the fire is gone. My SIL is a firefighter and he says the same thing.

Last edited:
Sous Chef and I are just settling down from all the fire excitement today....Steve had his radio scanner keeping track of all going on. In all, 152 acres has now burned, and passed us now. Pheww......
I'm glad you dodged that bullet, Kayelle. When they talked about the fires on the news tonight I thought of you guys, and Cheryl, and generally everyone out there in the fire-prone zone. If only there was a way to move some of those Texas rain clouds out to your dry areas...

I pickled today. Not me, but the Kirby cucumbers I bought a couple days ago. I put them together today and now they are nestled under a towel in the basement. The recipe my friend gave to me said to tuck them into a corner of the kitchen for four days, then taste to see if they are done to your liking. Since Dad always left his in the basement to cure, that's where I put ours. I'll check them for brine level every day, then sample a bit on Saturday since they're in a cooler spot than the kitchen. Meanwhile, since it's summer, I'm in the basement a lot. In fact, I'm smelling those things right now...and it smells just like I remember. :yum:

It's our grandson's last day of school and I'm off to pick him up.

"No more pencils, no more books, no more teachers' dirty looks!"

It's our grandson's last day of school and I'm off to pick him up.

"No more pencils, no more books, no more teachers' dirty looks!"

Oh gee, thanks for the ear worm. I'll return the favour with one with a similar rhythm. A friend claims this is the TSA motto.

You can't see London,
You can't see France,
Until we see your underpants.

Back
Top Bottom