What are you doing?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Have the house all to myself for a few hours.WOOO-HOOOO!:cool:

Now that I have it I don't know what to do with it.

It's lonely at the top.:ermm::LOL::ROFLMAO:

Have the house all to myself for a few hours.WOOO-HOOOO!:cool:

Now that I have it I don't know what to do with it.

It's lonely at the top.:ermm::LOL::ROFLMAO:

:LOL::LOL: I know the feeling.

Today I made the pumpkin cheesecake. Tomorrow it will be the Chocolate Chip one. I cleaned the kitchen once today and now I have to do it all over again. When I am baking, I try to clean as I go. But not today. I did the cookie crumbs last night. That is the easy part. Just getting all the ingredients together is a forever job. I still have 30 minutes for it to finish.

Will I have the strength tomorrow to make the second one? I think so. That one has less ingredients. And that will be it for my holiday cooking until Easter. :angel:

I've been watching this video and the longer version. He's singing a song of my people and it's giving me goose bumps.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bRfMIbBAJ1A&feature=youtu.be

TL, I know you are of Scandinavian descent. Were you born there or just your folks? You take so much pride in your heritage. And I have to admire it. I wish my people did. My father was ashamed of being half Native American. He refused to even talk about it. If I wanted to know anything, I had to ask my two aunts. They told me that he got that attitude from his father. Who was full blooded. His father left the tribe when he was a teenager and headed for Nova Scotia for employment. A few years later he returned to the tribe and then headed for Massachusetts. Not much of a welcome here either. My grandfather and my father didn't live long enough to see the results of the suit the tribe won against the Federal and Commonwealth of Massachusetts.

My grandfather had the good sense to register his children with the tribe. As a result they would have been eligible to be a recipient of the good fortune that came their way. But both my GF and father had so much shame in being Native American, I doubt they would have even filed for their share. :angel:

Looking at Christmas Google pics of the town where were going to be moving to. They aren't messing around when they say they go BIG really BIG.Absolutely stunning.

It's a very nice clean town no matter what the season is.
I think I'll ask hubby if he wants to go home for the holidays this year.
Just a teaser visit.Who knows, we might just decide to stay.
Ho-HO-HO...:innocent:

TL, I know you are of Scandinavian descent. Were you born there or just your folks? You take so much pride in your heritage. And I have to admire it. I wish my people did. My father was ashamed of being half Native American. He refused to even talk about it. If I wanted to know anything, I had to ask my two aunts. They told me that he got that attitude from his father. Who was full blooded. His father left the tribe when he was a teenager and headed for Nova Scotia for employment. A few years later he returned to the tribe and then headed for Massachusetts. Not much of a welcome here either. My grandfather and my father didn't live long enough to see the results of the suit the tribe won against the Federal and Commonwealth of Massachusetts.

My grandfather had the good sense to register his children with the tribe. As a result they would have been eligible to be a recipient of the good fortune that came their way. But both my GF and father had so much shame in being Native American, I doubt they would have even filed for their share. :angel:
I was born in the US, but I have lived in Denmark and Danish was my first language. My father's mother was a full blooded Sámi. I look like her. She wouldn't talk about it. The closest she got to talking about it was to say that I looked like her family. I think that back then the prejudice against indigenous people was so strong that some of the ones who "lived white" just didn't want to think about it.

Learn something new every day! I never heard of Sami, so I googled and learned!

Thanks Carol. You got me to look it up also. In the fourth grade the very first country we studied in Geography was Denmark and the Laplanders. I was fascinated by them and as you can see, I have never forgotten that lesson.

Considering they were looked down upon like my ancestors, no wonder I took an instant interest in them and was so fascinated. :angel:

I was born in the US, but I have lived in Denmark and Danish was my first language. My father's mother was a full blooded Sámi. I look like her. She wouldn't talk about it. The closest she got to talking about it was to say that I looked like her family. I think that back then the prejudice against indigenous people was so strong that some of the ones who "lived white" just didn't want to think about it.

After reading the whole history that Wiki had on the Laplanders, my next question is;

Do you still find that prejudice against the Samies here in North American when you are in a Danish area or community? Did that prejudice follow these folks over here?

I have to admire the fight they put up over the years to maintain their identity as to who they are and their culture. :angel:

After reading the whole history that Wiki had on the Laplanders, my next question is;

Do you still find that prejudice against the Samies here in North American when you are in a Danish area or community? Did that prejudice follow these folks over here?

I have to admire the fight they put up over the years to maintain their identity as to who they are and their culture. :angel:
Well, the prejudice isn't really from Danes, because the Sámi don't live in Denmark. The prejudice is more in Norway, Sweden, and Finland. Nowadays, it's not so much individuals being prejudiced as government. I haven't found any prejudice in the Swedish community in Montreal. Scandinavians are always surprised that I speak fluent Danish and sound like a Dane.

I occasionally get some prejudice against Native North Americans, because that's what a lot of people assume I am when they look at me.

Well, the prejudice isn't really from Danes, because the Sámi don't live in Denmark. The prejudice is more in Norway, Sweden, and Finland. Nowadays, it's not so much individuals being prejudiced as government. I haven't found any prejudice in the Swedish community in Montreal. Scandinavians are always surprised that I speak fluent Danish and sound like a Dane.

I occasionally get some prejudice against Native North Americans, because that's what a lot of people assume I am when they look at me.

I hope they feel foolish, embarrassed and small when they realize what a mistake they have made. They are showing their prejudice side. Not very pretty. :angel:

I hope they feel foolish, embarrassed and small when they realize what a mistake they have made. They are showing their prejudice side. Not very pretty. :angel:
If I bother to tell them they were mistaken, I make sure they understand that I have Swedish native blood and I am offended by their prejudice to anyone.

I have been called a "savage". That shocked the heck out of me. I didn't think anyone used that term nowadays.

I am basically staying home today waiting for call-backs from doctors and labs for test results and appointments for more tests. They are still unsure what is going on with my kidneys so I am once again in limbo.

So, plans include some baking, writing and cleaning house!

Hope all goes well with your test results. Sending positive thoughts & prayers to you!:angel::angel:

I agree that they should be embarassed about their prejudices, even if they weren't wrong about you.

Hope they find what's wrong, Laurie.

I have been spending too much time finding out about Sámis. Now I remember why I quit doing that. The injustices that have been and are still being perpetrated against them just makes me too angry. Found a FB group for Sámis in North America!

Should Be Doing

Laundry.
Straightening up the house.
Packing for another trip to S.F.
Getting dressed.
Deciding on what to make for dinner.

The whole thought of it all just makes me want to take a nap.
Too much thinking.It's bad for your health.:ermm::LOL:

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom