What are you doing?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
This place always feels like home. Gotta be here for the holidays.

I've been away so long I feel like I should start a "What did I miss?" thread and beg you all to post links to all the news that I should know.

Thanks for the warm welcome all. And I giggled a little at all of us with our keyboarding skills. My girls are both keyboard snobs too. They can type faster than lightning and have always been able to do so. They think I'm a Luddite for not being faster on the tablet screen though. :LOL:

I got a new job and moved to Wyoming, we are buying a house...cheaper than rent.

LP, sure hope you feel better very soon!

Good to see you back, Alix!

I've been doing some online Christmas shopping for my 6 grands, and just got my Christmas cards addressed, stamped, and ready to go in tomorrow's mail. Does anyone else here still send real Christmas cards? I know I enjoy receiving them so I figure others do, too. :santa:

I also just ordered 2 pounds of halved pecans, and threw in an order for 1/2 lb. of pine nuts while I was at it, since I love them and the price was good. :) Looking around for holiday goodie recipes in addition to the spiced pecans I've been making for the past few years. :yum:

Watched Mary Poppins. DH had never seen it, and loved it.

I have GOT to figure out Christmas presents for the niece and nephew. Baby bro and his wife have been of no help as far as ideas.

LP, sure hope you feel better very soon!

Good to see you back, Alix!

I've been doing some online Christmas shopping for my 6 grands, and just got my Christmas cards addressed, stamped, and ready to go in tomorrow's mail. Does anyone else here still send real Christmas cards? I know I enjoy receiving them so I figure others do, too. :santa:

I also just ordered 2 pounds of halved pecans, and threw in an order for 1/2 lb. of pine nuts while I was at it, since I love them and the price was good. :) Looking around for holiday goodie recipes in addition to the spiced pecans I've been making for the past few years. :yum:

I make cards each year to send out. The list of the recipients has dwindled to 18. If I don't hear from you 2 years in a row, you get crossed off the list! I send mine out within the first week of December each year.
But here's what's sad, we've only received 3 cards... :mellow:
... the list may get VERY short next year...

Hmm, sitting here waiting for our dinner guest to arrive... DH is eating all of the hor d'oeuvers :LOL:

Gosh kgirl, making your own....you ARE creative! My Christmas card list has been dwindling too - just a few years ago it was 20 something, this year I think I sent out 10.

I hope you had a nice lasagna dinner with hubby and his friend. :)

Alix, I got my first smart phone a couple of months ago and it's amazing how quickly I pick up thumb typing. Especially if you don't mind the errors. ?

I never thought that I would get used to swiping to type, and I guess I just started doing it without thinking much about it. I'm pretty good at it now.

My mom's phone took a while to learn her thick Maine accent, she would use voice commands to send texts and I would get some really crazy stuff from her! :LOL:

I never thought that I would get used to swiping to type, and I guess I just started doing it without thinking much about it. I'm pretty good at it now.

My mom's phone took a while to learn her thick Maine accent, she would use voice commands to send texts and I would get some really crazy stuff from her! :LOL:

I had a really hard time with Dragon and my very pronounced Boston accent. It took quite a while before it learned it. :angel:

I never thought that I would get used to swiping to type, and I guess I just started doing it without thinking much about it. I'm pretty good at it now...

Have you tried the shopping list app, Our Groceries yet?

bakechef, I was amazed at how quickly I picked up thumb typing.

TL, I looked at them and I decided I'd pass for now. I use the Notes app on my iPhone. I can set up a list with check boxes. It works for me right now.

bakechef, I was amazed at how quickly I picked up thumb typing.

TL, I looked at them and I decided I'd pass for now. I use the Notes app on my iPhone. I can set up a list with check boxes. It works for me right now.
I'm sure that works well. The advantage of Our Groceries is that when you share it with someone in your household, it updates their list as you add stuff or cross it off and you can use it on the web.

Last edited:
Watched Mary Poppins. DH had never seen it, and loved it.

I have GOT to figure out Christmas presents for the niece and nephew. Baby bro and his wife have been of no help as far as ideas.

Dawg, how old are the kids? When I've been stumped for Christmas gift ideas for the out-of-towner grands and not really knowing what they have or what they want, I've given them nice warm flannel jammies and fun slippers. I've also included soft fleece blankets and pillows. They've all liked them, even the older ones. If baby bro and SIL aren't any help with ideas, they take what they get! :ermm::LOL:

Dawg, how old are the kids? When I've been stumped for Christmas gift ideas for the out-of-towner grands and not really knowing what they have or what they want, I've given them nice warm flannel jammies and fun slippers. I've also included soft fleece blankets and pillows. They've all liked them, even the older ones. If baby bro and SIL aren't any help with ideas, they take what they get! :ermm::LOL:

Cheryl and Kay, great ideas! Thanks! These go on next year's list. I finally gave up. Got the 3yo a dumptruck that comes apart and morphs into other truck-type stuff, and comes with its own drill. The 8yo got a a high quality magic kit with 10 tricks that even stump adults. Love Amazon Prime!

Last edited:
I'm taking a break from wrapping gifts. :santa: Also just got the large part of the kitchen counter cleaned up and emptied of everything in preparation to make cookies tomorrow. Tyler's kindergarten teacher is having a bake sale on Friday, and all proceeds will go to his classroom for art supplies and fun new things for their little science center. After doing a little thinking about what to make, I decided on snickerdoodles. :yum: I have some fun little cellophane-type goodie bags left over from last year, so tomorrow morning I'm going to get started on a couple of batches.

I hope it goes well. Teachers put out a good amount of their own money on supplies, and it shouldn't have to be that way. We're a small town, so just in case the proceeds are a little lacking, daughter and I are giving her a cash donation and providing boxes of graham crackers, etc. for the kids' snacks. I'm sure that will help. It's all for the greater good! :heart:

http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f43/snickerdoodles-ingredient-question-90415.html

Last edited:
That's so sweet of you, Cheryl. I agree, teachers buy so many necessary classroom supplies out of their own money. Been there, done that. Have the tee shirt.

DH has an Ugly Christmas Sweater contest tomorrow at work. I have one that looks fine on me, but will look strange on a dude. It also has shoulder pads. I think we've got this.

I've also provided DH with a Santa hat. Unfortunately the batteries are dead on my Christmas light necklace to accent it.

Sadly, after all my work, DH doesn't want his picture taken, which is the point of the contest. Men.

Last edited:
That's so sweet of you, Cheryl. I agree, teachers buy so many necessary classroom supplies out of their own money. Been there, done that. Have the tee shirt.

DH has an Ugly Christmas Sweater contest tomorrow at work. I have one that looks fine on me, but will look strange on a dude. It also has shoulder pads. I think we've got this.

I've also provided DH with a Santa hat. Unfortunately the batteries are dead on my Christmas light necklace to accent it.

Sadly, after all my work, DH doesn't want his picture taken, which is the point of the contest. Men.

:LOL: Oh, how I'd love to see a pic! There are some hilarious Ugly Christmas Sweaters going around on FB. I wish I would have saved some of my sweaters from years ago....:LOL:

Back
Top Bottom