What are you doing?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yesterday I went and got 10 layer chicks from a local breeder. Black French copper marans. Kind of a show chicken and a little pricey at $5 apiece. I wanted to add a little variety to my rode island reds. FB_IMG_1487816968537.jpg

So then today I find out the farm store has broilers in. (meat birds).I went there just to look and some how 25 of them followed me home. 0222171843a.jpg

Ivealready been using Jaspers old play pen as a brooder but I had to find something for the second batch. I stole the kids toy box from the play house. Made the sides taller with some chicken wire, old window screen, and parts of a card board box. Have them in the basement for now until they get bigger. Then they go in another brooder I built out in the shed.0222172020.jpg

Our granddaughter (SO's family) is finishing up flight attendant school for American Airlines. She just found out she will be assigned to Boston. To save some bucks, she'll be staying with us to get started.

SO and I have been busting butt to get our basement family room converted to a bed/sitting room for her. We spent most of today breaking up a surprisingly sturdy oak entertainment center to make room. Picked up a TV from SO's sister and put that in place. We're both exhausted.

How kind of you Andy to extend such an offer. ;) Do I see more less expensive trips to Aruba? ;)

Yesterday I went and got 10 layer chicks from a local breeder. Black French copper marans. Kind of a show chicken and a little pricey at $5 apiece. I wanted to add a little variety to my rode island reds. View attachment 26254

So then today I find out the farm store has broilers in. (meat birds).I went there just to look and some how 25 of them followed me home. View attachment 26255

Ivealready been using Jaspers old play pen as a brooder but I had to find something for the second batch. I stole the kids toy box from the play house. Made the sides taller with some chicken wire, old window screen, and parts of a card board box. Have them in the basement for now until they get bigger. Then they go in another brooder I built out in the shed.View attachment 26256

Cute chicks, FJ! And very innovative brooders!

Not sure I could eat something I raised though.

Yesterday I went and got 10 layer chicks from a local breeder. Black French copper marans. Kind of a show chicken and a little pricey at $5 apiece. I wanted to add a little variety to my rode island reds. View attachment 26254

So then today I find out the farm store has broilers in. (meat birds).I went there just to look and some how 25 of them followed me home. View attachment 26255

Ivealready been using Jaspers old play pen as a brooder but I had to find something for the second batch. I stole the kids toy box from the play house. Made the sides taller with some chicken wire, old window screen, and parts of a card board box. Have them in the basement for now until they get bigger. Then they go in another brooder I built out in the shed.View attachment 26256

I hate living in the city. Can't have chicks or any other farm animal.

Jon, do you let any of your hens brood on a nest? And what are you going to do if you end up with too many roosters?

Very inventive ideas you got there, Jon! Best wishes to you, I hope the chickies not only do well, but thrive.

Andy, congrats on your granddaughter's accomplishment! That's great that she'll be based nearby. You and SO are fortunate to have a basement that you can convert into a granddaughter-cave. :) She'll need that, what with the hours she'll probably be keeping. ;)

Dawg...glad you like your new vacuum cleaner. I'll keep the Dyson in mind when I need to replace my Shark...so far I love it. My daughter has a years old heavy duty Oreck - man does that thing suck. :ermm::LOL:

Almost 8:30 here, headed for the recliner to snuggle up with kitty and fall asleep find a movie. Nighty, all. :)

I hate living in the city. Can't have chicks or any other farm animal.

Jon, do you let any of your hens brood on a nest? And what are you going to do if you end up with too many roosters?
I'm still waiting for one to go broody. I would be ecstatic if one of them hatched out a clutch. My ducks and goose have nests but nobody is sitting. I dont know what is going on there.

If I end up with too many roosters I will try to sell them. Being they are kind of a fancy bird. Otherwise they will be soup next winter.

I have two medical appointments this morning and apartment inspections are also happening today. I have been up all night. By the time I get home, it will be more than 24 hours straight without any sleep. If I crash after I get home, they will just have to inspect while I sleep through it.

Having kitchen faucet problems. First the faucet drips and the hose for the separate sprayer sprung a leak so if I turn on the water, it leaks into the cabinet under the sink.

Delta has a lifetime warranty so all I have to do is call and they send replacement parts. I called yesterday and asked them to overnight the parts. The rep told me it would be cheaper to get the parts at Lowes or Home Depot. Got the right parts (it took two trips) and installed them for the faucet drip. That worked.

THEN I discovered the hose leak and called Delta back. They will send me the replacement spray/hose and other parts. I asked for overnight shipping. The parts are not in stock so they will send them in 7-10 days! Meanwhile, no kitchen sink. If I run the water the hose pours water under the sink.

Tomorrow I'm going to try clamping off the hose above the break and see if that works for 7-10 days.

We had invited SO's sister and BIL for dinner tomorrow but had to call it off.

At one this afternoon I got a real heavy pounding on my door. I thought it was maintenance coming to do some repairs. There stood my two granddaughters and the SO of the oldest. They were the very last people I would have listed as visitors. I was shocked to say the least!!! We had a great visit. Although one of GD'S gave me some sad news. It seems she has an abusive boyfriend and is afraid of him. Pirate was here when she was telling me.

Now I have always told my kids that FAMILY always comes first. I have the feeling she will be looking for a new boyfriend soon and he will be in jail. Or will be smart enough to move to another state far away from my granddaughter.

We have been off to the farm up the road and gotten milk. This milk is amazing, just as fat as the cow produce, in summer it will be fatter but for now it is lovely, that I hate my lactose intolerance.

I'm listening to baseball! :w00t2: So it's only pre-season and it doesn't count, but it's baseball! I hope this year is just a wee bit better than last year. Ya know, just one more win...

I suppose it's time I stop playing on the computer *sigh* and go cook. I have 3# of ground sirloin I'll cook off and freeze for when I have room in the freezer for tubs of spaghetti sauce (I have room only for the cooked meat...), a 3# chuck I'll slow-cook for a few meals of barbacoa (also being squeezed into the freezer), and a small pork loin for the Classic Pork Stew I mentioned in last night's dinner thread (that will be tomorrow's supper). When I'm done prepping that, I'll make our dinner for tonight...unless I beg for carry-out! :LOL: Just kidding. We won't be eating someone else's cooking until I "pay off" my new kitchen toys.

I like to advance cook for the freezer too, CG. Should be able to start doing that again soon, now that I've made a sizable dent in what's already in there. Yay! :w00t:

As for what's happening now, I just grabbed myself a bowl of butter pecan ice cream, and ready to kick back in the recliner and find something to watch on the tube. Kind of tired this evening. :sleep:

Pirate made supper while I cut the meat off a 7bone piece of meat to make beef stew tomorrow. Plus I had a small packet of cut up stew meat that I took out to thaw. He wants to put taters in it, I want noodles. Since he will be doing the cooking, I have the feeling he will get his way.

Ooo, I wish we had a carton of butter pecan ice cream, Cheryl. With only two servings left, since I could use the room in the freezer! :ermm:

If I want to fit any of the stew in the freezer, I'm going to have to take an old juice bottle out to make room...

Now you two just quit it. We don't keep ice cream here for a reason. I'd eat it all.

I like to advance cook for the freezer too, CG. Should be able to start doing that again soon, now that I've made a sizable dent in what's already in there. Yay! :w00t:

I like the idea of cooking stuff and freezing it for later, but in practice, I generally don't eat the cooked stuff I froze. I don't honestly know why. I just know if I make a big batch of something, I better eat it, or give it away, because once it goes to the freezer, I may as well consider it thrown away.

CD

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom