What are you doing?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The soft spot in his head closed early so we went through surgeries and now he goes for eye appointments, he doesn't have depth perception like we do but since he was born with it he does well. That's why you see a lot of dementia patients walking funny when they have to cross different flooring like carpet to black tile to white tile etc. Age related loss of depth perception.... people don't think of those things when they design nsg homes, assisted living centers. Another fact is fluorescent lighting. It's the absolute worst for anxiety, low vision etc. now he has a bit of a lazy eye which the dr said he will try to correct when he's a little bit older. I guess we all have our trials in life.

Merlot, I have had a lazy eye my whole life. Then when I had the cataract surgery, all of a sudden I was able to see with both eyes. I am having trouble using both eyes. A whole new experience. Sometimes I see two different objects. And now I find myself not wearing my street glasses for days on end. But the eye doctor has given some exercises to do. I do them when watching TV. I find that I can now read with just my one "lazy" eye. Something I could never do my whole life. Having my left eye checked for new glasses was always a nightmare. Now I can read the bottom line on the chart. But the main thing is I am so glad I waited until I was older.

Merlot, I have had a lazy eye my whole life. Then when I had the cataract surgery, all of a sudden I was able to see with both eyes. I am having trouble using both eyes. A whole new experience. Sometimes I see two different objects. And now I find myself not wearing my street glasses for days on end. But the eye doctor has given some exercises to do. I do them when watching TV. I find that I can now read with just my one "lazy" eye. Something I could never do my whole life. Having my left eye checked for new glasses was always a nightmare. Now I can read the bottom line on the chart. But the main thing is I am so glad I waited until I was older.
Grayson says that he likes how he sees, I think he can see further in his peripheral vision! When he reads he closes one eye, he sees double if not. I told him whatever he wanted to do was fine with me. I love that little fellow:) this is his most recent picture!

Attachments

• IMG_3417.jpg
    IMG_3417.jpg
    21.2 KB · Views: 74
Last edited:
Grayson says that he likes how he sees, I think he can see further in his peripheral vision! When he reads he closes one eye, he sees double if not. I told him whatever he wanted to do was fine with me. I love that little fellow:) this is his most recent picture!

Any person with a vision difficulty, always makes adjustment to see the best way for themselves. That's exactly what I did growing up. And so is your son. God bless him. He is one handsome kid. What a great smile he has. He is going to be a heartbreaker.

Any person with a vision difficulty, always makes adjustment to see the best way for themselves. That's exactly what I did growing up. And so is your son. God bless him. He is one handsome kid. What a great smile he has. He is going to be a heartbreaker.

Addie, you are a angel. Thank you so much for that. I worry about him so so so much!

...I frequent UVA hospital quite a bit. T one time in my life I was taking my child there every 3 months...
I guess that sort of ER schedule is normal for some moms of boys, Merlot. Our back-door neighbor at our first house would head off to the local ER so often she said she was waiting for the day they showed up to a sign that read "The Johnny T Emergency Room". :LOL: He's all grown up, still alive (unless his wife killed him very recently), and (knock on wood) has been safe working as an MP in the Army for about a decade.

About the lack of depth perception: our next door neighbor from our last house has that same issue with his vision. He's worn glasses with a certain type of grind that works well for him. It does something to adjust the field of vision and he can see almost normally. I don't know how it works exactly, since my issues are plain-and-simple nearsighted with astigmatism.

He also does little theatre shows. He's a stickler for looking "in period", so if a part is historical and he can't authentically wear his glasses he goes without! He's very careful during rehearsals to make sure he gets his spots perfectly. That way he can be sure he can still maneuver around the stage for performances without knocking his leading lady off the edge! Well, edge of the stage. I've done shows with him and a few other crazies who can drive you over the edge. :glare:

Stirling had "lazy eye" as a child. They tried to fix it. It didn't work. He doesn't have depth perception because of strabismus. Every once in a while his eyes match up and he gets depth perception. It freaks him out.

I was in the first grade when I got my first pair of eye glasses. At that time we used to go home at noon time for lunch. My mother dropped me off at school midmorning with my new glasses. On the way home there were empty trash cans on the side walk. I threw my new glasses in one of them. I had a very unhappy mother. I also had to take her and show her which trash can I had tossed them in. I also had a very angry mother. I didn't go back for the second half of school that day. She made me stay in the house where she could see me and keep an eye on me so I wouldn't take my glasses off. By the next day I was used to them. I never tried that trick again. But the next time I needed new glasses, she let me help pick out my frame. Within reasonable cost.

The soft spot in his head closed early so we went through surgeries and now he goes for eye appointments, he doesn't have depth perception like we do but since he was born with it he does well. That's why you see a lot of dementia patients walking funny when they have to cross different flooring like carpet to black tile to white tile etc. Age related loss of depth perception.... people don't think of those things when they design nsg homes, assisted living centers. Another fact is fluorescent lighting. It's the absolute worst for anxiety, low vision etc. now he has a bit of a lazy eye which the dr said he will try to correct when he's a little bit older. I guess we all have our trials in life.

I've never heard of that happening before, but glad they could keep an eye on it and have the surgeries to help correct it. I noticed Mom walking funny after she had the aneurysm, and she still does if we are in Walmart or somewhere with lots of different flooring surfaces. I thought it was just the balance issues, never thought about the depth perception issues. I wonder if the 2 are tied together in any way.

I was in the first grade when I got my first pair of eye glasses. At that time we used to go home at noon time for lunch. My mother dropped me off at school midmorning with my new glasses. On the way home there were empty trash cans on the side walk. I threw my new glasses in one of them. I had a very unhappy mother. I also had to take her and show her which trash can I had tossed them in. I also had a very angry mother. I didn't go back for the second half of school that day. She made me stay in the house where she could see me and keep an eye on me so I wouldn't take my glasses off. By the next day I was used to them. I never tried that trick again. But the next time I needed new glasses, she let me help pick out my frame. Within reasonable cost.
I bet she was mad! :LOL: I threw my retainer away at a restaurant by accident and we had to go back and dig in the dumpster for it :huh:

I've never heard of that happening before, but glad they could keep an eye on it and have the surgeries to help correct it. I noticed Mom walking funny after she had the aneurysm, and she still does if we are in Walmart or somewhere with lots of different flooring surfaces. I thought it was just the balance issues, never thought about the depth perception issues. I wonder if the 2 are tied together in any way.

Anything like that affects their vision, that's usually one of the biggest complaints. The malls are bad for their flooring too. Grayson wouldn't walk across the white tile to the black tile for the longest time!

Mom wore her hearing aids in Walmart for the first time over the weekend, and she said it's TOO loud in there now. I told her that we'd get the ComPilot charged up (it's a remote control for the hearing aids that she can wear around her neck) and wear that the next time so she can adjust the volume if needed. She has to take them out when she gets her hair washed/cut, though.

I was just thinking that it is just a little over a year that I had the Shingles all over the right side of my head and neck. I still have scars on the side of my face and neck. I also have a very sore and touchie right ear ( which was full of the sores). The hair I had lost because of the scabs has grown back in thank goodness. I hope never to get the shingles again.

I was just thinking that it is just a little over a year that I had the Shingles all over the right side of my head and neck. I still have scars on the side of my face and neck. I also have a very sore and touchie right ear ( which was full of the sores). The hair I had lost because of the scabs has grown back in thank goodness. I hope never to get the shingles again.
(((Hugs))) I hear they are awful. I also hear that the shingles vaccine works even if you already have it.

(((Hugs))) I hear they are awful. I also hear that the shingles vaccine works even if you already have it.

Thanks. When I got the shingles I had never heard about the vaccine, I didnt go to the doctors right away, I thought I just had some acid sores coming. I have to be careful with what I drink because of the citric acid and I can't eat oranges, lemons or grapefruit.

Back
Top Bottom