What are you doing?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well, yesterday went very well. He made a few adjustments. But there are still one or two more needed. The leg has to go back the shop for some minor adjustments. So now I go back on April 17th for the final fitting and some basic steps. Pirate needs to go with me to learn how to teach me and keep an eye on me. He also has to learn about taking care of the leg and the mechanics of it. Even though it was a tad bit too long, I was able to take three steps at the most. But I did learn how to PUT IT ON AND TAKE IT OFF! And that is the very first step.

Every time I think of being able to stand at my kitchen sink without falling, I start crying. That is my biggest challenge. I can wash my own dirty dishes.

Thank you so much. I am somewhat stunned at how fast everything is happening. I had my leg amputated on April 26 and not even a year later I am on my way again. Just in time for the nice weather that is coming. They asked me if I wanted a flesh colored plastic covering for the lower part of the leg. "No." It will give me a chance to educate those who ask questions or stare at it. Hopefully, if it is a child, the adult with them will be able to teach the child also.

This experience has not been a tragedy, but an opportunity to teach.

So a HUGE THANK YOU to everyone here in DC. You all have been an important part of my recovery.

It is time for me to get dressed and go to get my Coumedln levels checked.

My trip yesterday for my leg fitting left me exhausted. I woke up in the middle of the night thinking it was already Thursday and got all dressed. Pirate came out and changed my mind giving me the right time of day. Eleven at night on Wednesday. Back to sleep, woke up at 4 a.m. and stayed awake. Dressed and ready to go at 8 a.m. Talk to all of you later. Fun time coming up.

Happy that it is working well for you, Addie.. :)

Ross

For those who have never been through a life changing experience, I would like to say that the support even from folks they know but never met makes a great difference in the recovery of those who have. Thank you for the encouraging words. It does help in keeping me to go strong.

Well, yesterday went very well. He made a few adjustments. But there are still one or two more needed. The leg has to go back the shop for some minor adjustments. So now I go back on April 17th for the final fitting and some basic steps. Pirate needs to go with me to learn how to teach me and keep an eye on me. He also has to learn about taking care of the leg and the mechanics of it. Even though it was a tad bit too long, I was able to take three steps at the most. But I did learn how to PUT IT ON AND TAKE IT OFF! And that is the very first step.

Every time I think of being able to stand at my kitchen sink without falling, I start crying. That is my biggest challenge. I can wash my own dirty dishes.

Thank you so much. I am somewhat stunned at how fast everything is happening. I had my leg amputated on April 26 and not even a year later I am on my way again. Just in time for the nice weather that is coming. They asked me if I wanted a flesh colored plastic covering for the lower part of the leg. "No." It will give me a chance to educate those who ask questions or stare at it. Hopefully, if it is a child, the adult with them will be able to teach the child also.

This experience has not been a tragedy, but an opportunity to teach.

So a HUGE THANK YOU to everyone here in DC. You all have been an important part of my recovery.
Hi, Addie. It just shows how long it is since I was on-line. Glad to hear you're getting on so well.

Sadly the parent and children thing often doesn't always work. Often parents hurry past with lowered gaze, telling the child that "it's rude to stare and comment". I'm using a walking stick more or less all the time now when I'll out and about (hip problem - too many horse-related falls!) mostly children ignore it but a while back one child asked its mother why I had a stick and Mother said "It's to hit nosey little boys" (I felt more like hitting the Mother than the child!)

Hope things continue to go well with you.

Love from Mad Cook.

Last edited:
Hey, Mad Cook, good to see you popping in! Hope all is well on your side of the pond.

There was no rain in the forecast for Friday when I made my hair appointment on Tuesday. Guess what? Rain! :LOL: Fortunately, it was only sprinkling when I was on my way into the shop, and it had stopped by the time I was coming out. Now I'm trying to adjust to my shorter summer haircut - my neck feels so cold!

After staying with us for 2 weeks my friend and his son will be staying with his pastor from church. His son has had to drive almost an hour every day to school from our place. Now they will be much closer.
Yesterday was the first time we were able to go work on his house after the flood. We had to quit because the floor was giving away. It was too unsafe to continue. The floors and joist are completely water logged.
This trans am was almost completely submerged by flood waters. You can see how the neighbors driveway washed. MVIMG_20190330_133610.jpgIMG_20190330_133204.jpgIMG_20190330_144215.jpg

Farmer Jon, I know first hand what flood waters can do. I can't say I mourn the loss of an f-body Trans Am, but a flooded house is a nightmare.

My family and friends live in Hurricane country, and I've see some bad stuff. Fresh water of Salt water, water does some incredible damage.

CD (Crystal Beach Texas, Hurricane Ike)

Attachments

• CrystalBeach.jpg
    CrystalBeach.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 99
I bought a whole truckload of lumber, to rebuild a fence between my yard and my neighbor's. We are splitting the cost of materials. I get to build the fence. I hope to knock it all out tomorrow. I have the materials, and the tools. I think I can do it. The last time I rebuilt that fence, I used galvanized steel posts, so those are still solid. Just stringers and boards. All cedar this time around.

I also picked up a small bottle of Jack Daniel's, for after work pain relief. ;)

Actually, I plan to do the manly thing, and pour a glass of whiskey, and stand and admire my completed fence for a while. The men on this forum will understand.

CD

...Actually, I plan to do the manly thing, and pour a glass of whiskey, and stand and admire my completed fence for a while. The men on this forum will understand.

CD
You sexist pig. : tongue: [emoji38]

Actually, I bet many women can understand, too. When I still did yard work, I would toss a bottle of beer into the freezer, hop into the shower, get into fresh clothing, and enjoy that well deserved adult beverage while relaxing on the porch and sipping my cold one.

You sexist pig. : tongue: [emoji38]

Actually, I bet many women can understand, too. When I still did yard work, I would toss a bottle of beer into the freezer, hop into the shower, get into fresh clothing, and enjoy that well deserved adult beverage while relaxing on the porch and sipping my cold one.

You took a shower first? Just like a woman. :rolleyes: We men bask in the glory of our sweat and body odor, as we gaze upon our conquest.

CD

*My ducks started laying eggs! My first duck egg breakfast of the year today. Also looks like we got 2 or 3 inches of snow.

Sent from my P008 using Tapatalk

Farmer Jon, I know first hand what flood waters can do. I can't say I mourn the loss of an f-body Trans Am, but a flooded house is a nightmare.

My family and friends live in Hurricane country, and I've see some bad stuff. Fresh water of Salt water, water does some incredible damage.

CD (Crystal Beach Texas, Hurricane Ike)

That flood mud is worst. Slick and stinky. The nastiest stuff I've worked with. One step below pig poop.

You took a shower first? Just like a woman. :rolleyes: We men bask in the glory of our sweat and body odor, as we gaze upon our conquest.

CD
We women don't sweat. We "glow". ;)

It takes about 15 minutes for that bottle of beer to achieve the icy frost that I like. I can be in and out of the shower in less than 10 minutes. I figured taking a shower saved me enough time for another bottle of beer.

Luckily I live alone and don't have to shower for anyone other than myself. I often just relax - glowing (and maybe stinking) - while I admire the job and have a cold one.

That flood mud is worst. Slick and stinky. The nastiest stuff I've worked with. One step below pig poop.

Oh, yeah. Flood mud smells really bad. Like you said, like pig poop. I can't describe what my friend's refrigerator smelled like when we opened it. It was laying on it's back with the doors up in what was left of the kitchen. OMG, that was a face full of funk.

CD

Well, the fence is done. Not big fence, but galvanized steel posts, all cedar lumber, and stainless steel screws -- no nails. This fence should outlive me.

Shorts, sleeveless shirt, dirty, sweaty, and feeling very manly. Doing this kind of job is therapy for me. No customer to tell me to do it the stupid way. My project. My rules.

My neighbor is paying for half of the cost of materials. All-in-all, a good day. Now I can plant my pepper and herb garden.

CD

Attachments

• Fence001.jpg
    Fence001.jpg
    157 KB · Views: 106
Well, the fence is done. Not big fence, but galvanized steel posts, all cedar lumber, and stainless steel screws -- no nails. This fence should outlive me.

Shorts, sleeveless shirt, dirty, sweaty, and feeling very manly. Doing this kind of job is therapy for me. No customer to tell me to do it the stupid way. My project. My rules.

My neighbor is paying for half of the cost of materials. All-in-all, a good day. Now I can plant my pepper and herb garden.

CD

Wow. That’s a really nice fence, CD! Great work!

Back
Top Bottom