What are you doing?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
i am now the owner of a fully grown horseshoe moustache. :punk:

i was shaving my hockey playoff beard today when my son came home from school. he asked me if i could grow a long moustache like "sensei wu", a character on on of his favourite cartoons. so i did.

it doesn't quite look like the sensei wu's long fu manchu moustache, but rather more like the old yankee reliever goose gossage's or paul tuetel, sr.'s of orange county chopper.

when my boy saw me, he said that i looked like a real, old time baseball manager and begged me to keep it until our next game - alongside dw's protestations and obvious embarrassment. she said she won't be seen in public with me so long as i have it. :mrgreen:

then i came up with a great idea! we have a game against a team that has a really nasty, over-competitive coach (who preaches at coaches' meetings in front of the board that we should teach by example, but in reality curses and belittles the kids and other coaches in spanish during games thinking she can get away with it), so i decided to show her that we're supposed to have fun teaching these little 6 to 8 year old kids the game of baseball, not teach them bad sportsmanship. i'm not only going to show up with the moustache, but i'm bringing a hypoallergenic black grease pencil and the entire team is going to go out on the field with horseshoe or fu manchu moustaches.

i'll have to get permission from the boys' parents first, i guess, but this should be funny.

lol, that will be funny!

I'm having a glass of wine and getting over the shakes. I nearly got into a bad car smash tonight and I'm saying a whole lot of "thank you's" to the Big Guy upstairs for saving me. And thank you to Ford brakes. I had someone turn left in front of me and STOP in my lane. If I hadn't stood on the brakes HARD we'd both have been so much jam on the road. Lordy I was scared. I don't think I've been that scared when I've actually been IN an accident.

It was only a short hop from home so I didn't start shaking til after I got in. Now I'm just going to power down and enjoy being alive tonight.
So glad to hear you arrived back home safely, you must have a guardian angel in your corner. Take care.

Last edited by a moderator:
i just finished helping my boy make his final science project for the year. he was named student of the yesterday for 2nd grade, so this had to be a good project.

we made a little experiment showing the difference between permanent magnets and electromagnets.

we cannibalized a flashlight, ran some wires from the battery connections around an iron core (a lag bolt), and when the electricity flows, the bolt becomes magnetized whereby it can pick up paperclips. break the circuit, the magnetism stops, and the paperclips drop off.

now i just have to make sure my boy understands that the permanent magnets and paperclips and lag bolt stay away from each other until it's time for the demonstration or everything will become partially magnetized.

i just finished helping my boy make his final science project for the year. he was named student of the yesterday for 2nd grade, so this had to be a good project.
Would that be student of the year? :rolleyes:

Sorry Bucky T, couldn't resist! :LOL::LOL::LOL: And that is awesome.

I'm relaxing after just coming home from my third two-hour dental appointment in the last month. Thankfully that is it until the new year, but not because there is no more work....they have everything under control til then as we have maxed out my coverage. The two main teeth still need crowns but today he built up posts in them, having previously drained them and done the root canals. They should hold with proper care until the new year.

I am hoping to put my feet up and relax tonight! :)

Just getting home from my dinner date with Shrek. Two more days of work, then maybe I can relax...or spend the weekend at work...maybe I didn't think this over very well

PrincessFiona60 said:
Just getting home from my dinner date with Shrek. Two more days of work, then maybe I can relax...or spend the weekend at work...maybe I didn't think this over very well

Hoping you can go for the relax option!

Bolledeig said:
Home alone with the baby all week while my hubby is at the oil trade show in Canada.
Lonely :(

So sorry, Bolledeig. Sit, visit, play some of the games! Peruse the forums. A great bunch of folks here, and some of us are late-nighters! (not me tonight, early eye appointment tomorrow).

Last edited:
Well, what can I say...we just put up two awesome Japanese beetle traps that seem to be kicking real beetle butt. We set them up at about noon today and, by 3 p.m. we emptied them three times. Each time we filled a Wal-Mart plastic bag from each trap. That means we had 6 bags full of the squirming little critters.

The traps we purchased were highly recommended but we had no idea they'd be so successful.

By 4 this afternoon we rigged up a different "bagging" system because we were tired from emptying and disposing of the crappy little beasts.

Holy cow! I'm am fearful that I'm going to dream of these beetles like Arthur Hitchcock's "birds." OMIGOSH!!!

I hope our plum trees are thankful of our efforts.:ohmy::ohmy:

i'm not sure how it would affect your trees, but if you spread grubex on your lawn to kill grubs, you'll solve a lot of the jap beetle problem, k.t.h..

the grubs are baby beetles (what's the word i'm looking for, the soft bodied baby stage of a beetles life - pupa?)

i'm not sure how it would affect your trees, but if you spread grubex on your lawn to kill grubs, you'll solve a lot of the jap beetle problem, k.t.h..

the grubs are baby beetles (what's the word i'm looking for, the soft bodied baby stage of a beetles life - pupa?)

Larva

Back
Top Bottom