What are you doing?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
This morning I am off to look for some frames...it is time to get some glasses. I will pick out the frames and then book in for an eye test and select which lenses.

I am fine for seeing everything except really small print...I am long sighted and am just lately having trouble seeing really small writing, so I may as well get some glasses for the smaller stuff and have less strain ;)

This morning I am off to look for some frames...it is time to get some glasses. I will pick out the frames and then book in for an eye test and select which lenses.

I am fine for seeing everything except really small print...I am long sighted and am just lately having trouble seeing really small writing, so I may as well get some glasses for the smaller stuff and have less strain ;)

Kylie, remember when picking out a frame, that glasses are jewelry for your face. You wouldn't pick out a garish piece of jewelry to be worn on your finest silk blouse. Your face is more valuable that that silk blouse. You don't have to go with today's styles if it doesn't look good on you. If they don't look good on you, or are uncomfortable, you are likely to not use them as often as necessary. You won't want to be seen in them.

Good luck. :)

Thanks Addie :)

It will probably take me forever to select a pair as there are so many to choose from and this is all so new to me really

I know I definitely want a black pair as although I like all the bright pinks and purples, it will not go with all your clothes, so it is best to stick to a neutral colour that will blend with everything and I just like the look of black frames too :)

It will probably take me forever to select a pair as there are so many to choose from and this is all so new to me really

I know I definitely want a black pair as although I like all the bright pinks and purples, it will not go with all your clothes, so it is best to stick to a neutral colour that will blend with everything and I just like the look of black frames too :)

Don't forget to take a look at half frames. They are very light and you can't even feel them when you are wearing them.

I had to run to the store around 4 p.m. I am only two streets behind the main street that runs the length of Eastie. A man was crossing Bennington Street. It has four lanes with a median strip down the middle. He had his cell phone to his ear and his head down. A large limo van was traveling at a reduced speed and couldn't stop in time. The pedestrian was almost to the milddle of the street. The van hit him with such force that he went flying back onto the sidewalk. There were pools of blood on the sidewalk and in the gutter. He was alive when the ambulance took him. Traffic was a mess. They had to divert it to Saratoga Street. Now that street is very narrow and buses were coming down it. What a traffic mess.

Of course the blame will go to the driver and his insurance premium will go sky high for the next seven years. I think the pedestrian should have to pay the premium. My sympathies are with the driver.

Oh, because of the traffic jam all this caused, there was another fender bender.

I had to run to the store around 4 p.m. I am only two streets behind the main street that runs the length of Eastie. A man was crossing Bennington Street. It has four lanes with a median strip down the middle. He had his cell phone to his ear and his head down. A large limo van was traveling at a reduced speed and couldn't stop in time. The pedestrian was almost to the milddle of the street. The van hit him with such force that he went flying back onto the sidewalk. There were pools of blood on the sidewalk and in the gutter. He was alive when the ambulance took him. Traffic was a mess. They had to divert it to Saratoga Street. Now that street is very narrow and buses were coming down it. What a traffic mess.

Of course the blame will go to the driver and his insurance premium will go sky high for the next seven years. I think the pedestrian should have to pay the premium. My sympathies are with the driver.

Oh, because of the traffic jam all this caused, there was another fender bender.
Was the pedestrian crossing on the red? Was he crossing at a pedestrian crossing? At the corner?

As a driver, without more info, it sounds like the limo driver's fault to me.

Ask the optometrist for your pupilary distance. He/she might not give it to you, but it's worth asking.

You can buy more glasses, cheap, online once you have your prescription. I bought two pairs of glasses with bifocals that cost me a total of less than Cdn $85, including shipping! The pair of reading glasses I bought at the optometrist cost over Cdn $500.

Kylie, hope you find the frames you like...maybe you should splurge and get one just black, and another a fun color that you like. :)

As for me, I'm watching the rain coming down and listening to lightening - power is intermittently going out and satellite is sketchy. Might be an early bedtime night here. lol :)

Was the pedestrian crossing on the red? Was he crossing at a pedestrian crossing? At the corner?

As a driver, without more info, it sounds like the limo driver's fault to me.

Where the accident happened there is no crosswalk or lights. It is where traffic from the airport, the tunnel from in town and local traffic converge. Anyone who lives in the neighborhood knows when rush hour traffic happens and knows better than to try to cross the street in that area. His head was down and he just stepped off the curb without looking either way talking on his cell phone. There were some of the neighborhood elderly folks sitting outside at the time and saw the whole thing. One woman was so upset at what she saw, she couldn't stop crying. The police couldn't even interview her.

It is a common practice here that if you don't have AC, you take your folding beach chair and sit outside on the sidewalk with your neighbors. So they were right there and saw the whole thing. Rush hour traffic starts here around 3:30 p.m. The sun is just starting to go down and when going south, can be blinding. That may have been a factor. The street runs north/south. the accident happened on the south side of the street. But like my son says, in this state you should have your vehicle under your control at all times. It was definitely the pedestrian's fault. But the driver will get all the blame. It will go on his driving record, but I doubt if the police will process it for any court action. That is very typical here.

Where the accident happened there is no crosswalk or lights. It is where traffic from the airport, the tunnel from in town and local traffic converge. Anyone who lives in the neighborhood knows when rush hour traffic happens and knows better than to try to cross the street in that area. His head was down and he just stepped off the curb without looking either way talking on his cell phone. There were some of the neighborhood elderly folks sitting outside at the time and saw the whole thing. One woman was so upset at what she saw, she couldn't stop crying. The police couldn't even interview her.

It is a common practice here that if you don't have AC, you take your folding beach chair and sit outside on the sidewalk with your neighbors. So they were right there and saw the whole thing. Rush hour traffic starts here around 3:30 p.m. The sun is just starting to go down and when going south, can be blinding. That may have been a factor. The street runs north/south. the accident happened on the south side of the street. But like my son says, in this state you should have your vehicle under your control at all times. It was definitely the pedestrian's fault. But the driver will get all the blame. It will go on his driving record, but I doubt if the police will process it for any court action. That is very typical here.
So, the pedestrian was crossing where he shouldn't have crossed. Where no one would expect a pedestrian?

You wrote, "The pedestrian was almost to the milddle of the street." To me, that means that the limo should have been able to see him in time to stop or swerve. I agree with your son, you should have your vehicle under your control at all times. You shouldn't be driving faster than you can stop in the distance you can see. I agree the pedestrian was behaving stupidly, but it still sounds like the driver's fault to me.

A friend of mine's son rear-ended someone. She said the other driver stopped too fast. No, there is no such thing. You shouldn't be following so closely that you can't stop when the guy in front of you slams on the brakes.

the driver's insurance company will work something out with the victim's insurance for a divided settlement since they both could be blamed for the fault.

then they"ll charge the driver more for insurance, and raise overall rates for personal medical insurance for everyone to make up the loss.

insurance companies only make money, never lose any.

Ask the optometrist for your pupilary distance. He/she might not give it to you, but it's worth asking.

You can buy more glasses, cheap, online once you have your prescription. I bought two pairs of glasses with bifocals that cost me a total of less than Cdn $85, including shipping! The pair of reading glasses I bought at the optometrist cost over Cdn $500.

That is a great idea, thanks Taxy :)

Once I have my script next Monday, I will look into that :)

Kylie, hope you find the frames you like...maybe you should splurge and get one just black, and another a fun color that you like. :)

Thanks Cheryl :)

I did manage to find 2 pairs I really like at Specsavers :)

You can get 2 pairs of designers glasses for $199.00...that is pretty good...they come with the single lens too ;)

Both are black, I just think black suits with my dark brown hair :)

That is a great idea, thanks Taxy :)

Once I have my script next Monday, I will look into that :)

Make sure she writes ALL the information on your script and that all the writing is legible before you leave the office.

Going online to look at frames is a great idea. There are several sites. Since glasses are considered a medical device, you may have to restrict your sites to Australia. Shipping them between countries involves customs. And that is a pain in the butt big time. Just sending a thick letter to Canada from the States can bring on all sorts of headaches. And remember, you don't have to buy your glasses from your optometrist. You can take your script anywhere you want. Even ordering them on line. Optometrists make their money on selling the glasses. Not on eye exams. So the markup is fairly high.

I have been wearing glasses for 65 years. So I have gone through buying glasses and all the problems that go with getting a good fit and what I want.

:)

Thank you Addie :)

Wow 65 years of wearing glasses...do you wear them just for reading Addie?

No. I have infinity lenses for one pair. That is to see far off. And then I have bifocals for the computer and reading. My infinity lens are Transitional lenses. They turn into sunglasses whenever I step outside. Even though my medical plan pays for my glasses, it costs me an additional $60 to have the Transitional lens. I love them. I just can't imagaine not having them. I am totally unaware of when they darken and then when they turn back into regular lens.

I use my reading glasses for the computer, but if I am reading or doing my sewing, I don't use them at all. It is just easier to work without them. Drives folks crazy when they watch me. I am doing some very fine stitches right now on a piece of embroidery. If I had my glasses on, I couldn't do the work. My right lens on my infinity lens is like a Coke bottle. I wonder if I would get back a nickel if I turned them in? My left eye is my lazy eye. I don't use it at all. In fact I have always seen better if I just close it if I want to see something clearer.

Right now I am waiting for my catarac surgery. Twice I have gone, and twice I ended up in the ER instead of surgery. They say the third time is a charm. I hope so. :)

How long have you had to wait for your cataract surgery? It sounds like you have had a few issues with it all :(

How long have you had to wait for your cataract surgery? It sounds like you have had a few issues with it all :(

Since March. I have some heart related problems and they have to make sure my heart can stand the surgery. But I should hear at the end of this month about the next attempt. I think we have all the problems worked out. the last time I had a blood pressure problem. I have lost a lot of weight and was being over medicated for it. As a result, I had a BP crash when I went in for the preop workup. They have changed the dosage and Friday I went in for some tests for my BP. I passed them all with flying colors. So now it looks like a go. I am just waiting to hear from the surgeon as to when she can fit me on her schedule AGAIN!

buckytom said:
the driver's insurance company will work something out with the victim's insurance for a divided settlement since they both could be blamed for the fault.

then they"ll charge the driver more for insurance, and raise overall rates for personal medical insurance for everyone to make up the loss.

insurance companies only make money, never lose any.

I recently thought, "Instead of having phone insurance, I should be putting the money in a piggy bank." I could easily buy a new phone or two with the money I would have. And all the money I've paid into car insurance and never had to use would buy me a pretty decent car. Too bad that's not optional...

I recently thought, "Instead of having phone insurance, I should be putting the money in a piggy bank." I could easily buy a new phone or two with the money I would have. And all the money I've paid into car insurance and never had to use would buy me a pretty decent car. Too bad that's not optional...
I don't know what the law is where you live. Here, in Quebec, we have "no fault" insurance and must carry liability insurance, but we are not obliged to have "two way" insurance. If I don't want to pay to insure my car, I don't have to do so. I can buy cheaper "one way" insurance that just covers my liability.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom