What are you doing?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm taking a breather from cleaning out my gardening shed and also putting the first coat of spray paint on my too-blue 55 gal. rain barrel. I hope a more neutral color will help hide it. I bought a Dutchman's Pipe Vine to attract butterflies and now can't figure out the best place to plant it. The nurseryman said I'll need to protect it from frost this "winter." I know most of you folks have just put your gardens to bed, but I've waited all sticky summer long to get back in the yard and am pretty happy with this weather. Finally. Plus this Friday marks the welcome end of this year's hurricane season.

I appreciate the ones that listen to me when I tell them where to poke. First time, every time.

There is a technician at the BMC lab that is totally lacking in personality or empathy. I think she gets perverse pleasure from her job. Any time I need to have blood drawn, I always tell the doctor I will have it done at Winthrop. :angel:

Good morning and Happy Tuesday!

We are having the curtains and blinds installed this morning YIPPEE!!

So looking forward to seeing them all up, they are going to look brilliant!

You'll have to post pics, Kylie! I'm excited for you!

Last edited:
I am sitting here getting very upset with myself. Stuffing is my favorite of any holiday meal. This year my daughter even had extra stuffing so that when I brought a dish home, there would be more of that than anything else. So tonight I had some with gravy. I realized that I hadn't eaten very much of anything since Thursday's dinner. So I heated up a little bit of the stuffing and gravy. I got half of it down and then all of a sudden I couldn't swallow what was in my mouth. I don't know why, I just couldn't eat it.

Here I go again. I hate when this happens. Specially when it is something I really like. So I will have to go back to baby steps again. A mouthful here, one there. Trying to work up to two or more. I wish I knew what this is all about and why it happens. It is not a physical thing. I can swallow liquids with no problem. And I can take real small bites. Like just a taste. I just feel overwhelmed when there is a lot of food on my plate. Today is Monday and I hope by Friday I will be back to eating right. :angel:

Sometimes it just takes baby steps addie, easy does it... Hope it gets better for you.

Sometimes it just takes baby steps addie, easy does it... Hope it gets better for you.

When the doctor used the word "anorexic" it really shook me up. I know I am not anorexic, but I hate when this happens. I can't figure it out. Right now I am thinking of making some corn chowder. It is another favorite dish of mine. It is one of those dishes, that every time I open the fridge, I have to take some. And it is mostly liquid. :angel:

Addie said:
I am sitting here getting very upset with myself. Stuffing is my favorite of any holiday meal. This year my daughter even had extra stuffing so that when I brought a dish home, there would be more of that than anything else. So tonight I had some with gravy. I realized that I hadn't eaten very much of anything since Thursday's dinner. So I heated up a little bit of the stuffing and gravy. I got half of it down and then all of a sudden I couldn't swallow what was in my mouth. I don't know why, I just couldn't eat it.

Here I go again. I hate when this happens. Specially when it is something I really like. So I will have to go back to baby steps again. A mouthful here, one there. Trying to work up to two or more. I wish I knew what this is all about and why it happens. It is not a physical thing. I can swallow liquids with no problem. And I can take real small bites. Like just a taste. I just feel overwhelmed when there is a lot of food on my plate. Today is Monday and I hope by Friday I will be back to eating right. :angel:

Have you ever had a swallowing test done? Have you talked to your doctor about it?

When the doctor used the word "anorexic" it really shook me up. I know I am not anorexic, but I hate when this happens. I can't figure it out. Right now I am thinking of making some corn chowder. It is another favorite dish of mine. It is one of those dishes, that every time I open the fridge, I have to take some. And it is mostly liquid. :angel:
We make a protein shake at work that's pretty good; Fresh frozen fruit blended with fruit juice & whey protein powder. May be something for you to check out. Some protein might help you. Hope this helps.:angel:

Have you ever had a swallowing test done? Have you talked to your doctor about it?

I have talked to my doctor. We both agree that it is psychological. If I were to go to a party right now, I would eat something if only to be polite. Even if it was just a couple of bites. And also not to arouse suspiscion of my health. Folks are always asking me if I am all right. So I really try to act and look normal when I am around other folks. Whatever normal is. I will be all right. I am thinking of making corn chowder for tomorrow. It is one of those foods, that every time I open the fridge, I have to have some. I love corn chowder. I have all the fixin's. And it is quick and easy. By Friday, I will be back to eating agin. Little bites here and there. :angel:

Last edited:
Addie said:
I have talked to my doctor. We both agree that it is psychological. If I were to go to a party right now, I would eat something if only to be polite. Even if it was just a couple of bites. And also not to arouse suspiscion of my health. Folks are always asking me if I am all right. So I really try to act and look normal when I am around other folks. Whatever normal is. Iwill be all right. I am thinking of making corn chowder for tomorrow. It is one of those foods, that every time I open the fridge, I have to have some. I love corn chowder. I have all the fixin's. And it is quick and easy. By Friday, I will be back to eating agin. Little bites here and there. :angel:

I have a friend that can't eat more than a couple bites at a time when she is under extreme stress or anxiety, or when she gets depressed. People would harrass her about starving herself to lose weight and I would get so frustrated because it just made things worse and I knew that wasn't what she was doing. She would try to force herself to eat in front of those people and end up getting sick a little later.

When she lived with the hubby and me, we'd fix her a plate to pick at when she'd have trouble. The understanding was that we would leave it the fridge for her to eat little bites at a time. No judgement, no pressure, just the knowledge that food was there for her if she wanted it. Worked so much better than all the people that tried to force food down her "for her own good". And the habit has stuck, even now that she doesn't live with us. She makes a plate for herself and keeps it in the fridge to nibble off of.

If you ever ended up at my house and couldn't eat more than a bite at a time, you wouldn't have to worry about it. You wouldn't have to eat to be polite or to keep me from being suspicious. You'd have a plate in the fridge to nibble on as much or as little as you wanted. No pressure, no judgement, just the knowledge that it was there.

And that is exactly what I do. Every time I open the fridge, I take a little bite of something. Even if it is just a half slice of cheese. I caught it early this time. Not like the last time. I went two whole weeks without eating anything. I ended up losing over 30 pounds. Now I panic if I lose just one. I am trying to keep my weight between 139 and 145. Doing good so far. Was 142 the last time I was weighed. :angel:

Just heard from my youngest son that their 18 year old cat (Kibble) passed away today. They are going to miss him so much, especially my 11 year old granddaughter. She knows he has been ill but still it's hard to let go.

Just heard from my youngest son that their 18 year old cat (Kibble) passed away today. They are going to miss him so much, especially my 11 year old granddaughter. She knows he has been ill but still it's hard to let go.
I am so very sorry to hear about kibble's passing. I have lost cats in the past & it is difficult. It feels like losing a member of the family. I grew up with alot of cats on the farm & have always had a cat my whole life. We have 3 now & cannot imagine having them around. My sincere condolences.

JoAnn L. said:

Aww. RIP, Kibble. 18 is a good age for a kitty, but I know it must be so hard. I equate it to losing a teenager.

I have a friend that can't eat more than a couple bites at a time when she is under extreme stress or anxiety, or when she gets depressed. People would harrass her about starving herself to lose weight and I would get so frustrated because it just made things worse and I knew that wasn't what she was doing. She would try to force herself to eat in front of those people and end up getting sick a little later.

When she lived with the hubby and me, we'd fix her a plate to pick at when she'd have trouble. The understanding was that we would leave it the fridge for her to eat little bites at a time. No judgement, no pressure, just the knowledge that food was there for her if she wanted it. Worked so much better than all the people that tried to force food down her "for her own good". And the habit has stuck, even now that she doesn't live with us. She makes a plate for herself and keeps it in the fridge to nibble off of.

If you ever ended up at my house and couldn't eat more than a bite at a time, you wouldn't have to worry about it. You wouldn't have to eat to be polite or to keep me from being suspicious. You'd have a plate in the fridge to nibble on as much or as little as you wanted. No pressure, no judgement, just the knowledge that it was there.
Your friend is lucky to have you in her life. You are very kind.:angel::angel:

JoAnn L. said:

So sad to hear. Losing pets is so hard. Hugs to your son and his family.

I am so sorry to hear this. Losing a pet that has been a member of the family for a long time is very hard. My granddaughter lost her Siamese when the cat was 17 y.o. My GD was so heartbroken. She had just lost her mother when Tasha died. Like your GD, her family had the cat before she was born. Seventeen years is a long time for a cat to live. Your son's cat had a good home and I am sure your GD is going to miss him just like mine did.

My GD shared her grief over the loss of her mother with Tasha. She cried to her, told her how she felt and told her all the things she felt she couldn't tell anyone else. I love the name of Kibbles for a cat. :angel: And one for Kibbles. :angel:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom