What are you doing?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Son #1 stopped by with Teddy Bear, the dog. I just finished a couple of steamed hot dogs with sauerkraut and there was a couple of spoonfuls left on the plate. Put the paper dish on the floor and Teddy Bear gobbled up the kraut. He also likes Dill pickles with garlic, pretzels, and a few other weird foods. There isn't much this dog doesn't like. He seems to be rather bizarre in his preferences for treats.

I am fully recovered but this bug knocked me for a loop. So I spent the morning in bed until noon. Now Son #2 has it really bad. He is so sick I suggested he head for the ER. Three residents here went out in the ambulance in the past couple of days due to dehydration. I don't know where this bug came from, but it can go back. My son ran an errand for me and said everyone is wearing a mask down in the square while they are shopping. It hits with diarrhea so bad that you can become dehydrated in a matter of hours. And if you have it really bad, you vomit also. I have never had the flu. But this thing going around seems to be just a stomach bug. No achy bones, no fever, no flu signs. It is really scary.

Son#1 did the whites for me. There were so many towels that he had to use the big double load washer. I didn't know I owned enough stuff to even fill a regular washer. Well, time to get some dishes done and clean up the kitchen. :chef:

Just got done taking the sheets and pillowcases down off of the wash lines, thanks to the great temperatures we are having I was able to hang outside today. They just said on the radio that we might break the record high today.

Oh what I wouldn't do to be able to hang out my laundry and give my sheets that fresh air smell. :(

Son #1 stopped by with Teddy Bear, the dog. I just finished a couple of steamed hot dogs with sauerkraut and there was a couple of spoonfuls left on the plate. Put the paper dish on the floor and Teddy Bear gobbled up the kraut. He also likes Dill pickles with garlic, pretzels, and a few other weird foods. There isn't much this dog doesn't like. He seems to be rather bizarre in his preferences for treats.

I am fully recovered but this bug knocked me for a loop. So I spent the morning in bed until noon. Now Son #2 has it really bad. He is so sick I suggested he head for the ER. Three residents here went out in the ambulance in the past couple of days due to dehydration. I don't know where this bug came from, but it can go back. My son ran an errand for me and said everyone is wearing a mask down in the square while they are shopping. It hits with diarrhea so bad that you can become dehydrated in a matter of hours. And if you have it really bad, you vomit also. I have never had the flu. But this thing going around seems to be just a stomach bug. No achy bones, no fever, no flu signs. It is really scary.

Son#1 did the whites for me. There were so many towels that he had to use the big double load washer. I didn't know I owned enough stuff to even fill a regular washer. Well, time to get some dishes done and clean up the kitchen. :chef:

I wonder if you fed Teddy Bear a big plate of kraut, if he would allow you to sing to him without attacking you!

I think that's the same bug I had about a month ago. It sounds like it. All I did to fight it was drink lots of fluids and sleep about 18 hours a day. It stayed with me for a week and finally left.

I wonder if you fed Teddy Bear a big plate of kraut, if he would allow you to sing to him without attacking you!

I think that's the same bug I had about a month ago. It sounds like it. All I did to fight it was drink lots of fluids and sleep about 18 hours a day. It stayed with me for a week and finally left.

Now that is funny. I will have to give it a try. About the dog, not your being sick. :LOL:

Oh what I wouldn't do to be able to hang out my laundry and give my sheets that fresh air smell. :(

I wish you could too Addie. Hanging up the laundry was one thing that I could do right to please my mother. She also would let me pin the lace curtains onto a wood frame to dry. ( Anyone else remember those wooden frames)?

I wish you could too Addie. Hanging up the laundry was one thing that I could do right to please my mother. She also would let me pin the lace curtains onto a wood frame to dry. ( Anyone else remember those wooden frames)?

I don't remember those but, we did have long metal rods to stretch the wrinkles out of the sheer curtains. We also had some metal contraptions to put in the legs of my stepfathers work pants to create a crease without ironing. They were a real pain to get the crease in the right place.

Sounds like a norovirus, those seem to head around the facility once a year, so far we've been lucky. A few years ago everyone had it, including staff, we weren't allowed to stay home, because there would not have any staff there to take care of the patients. We had to just let it run it course. The facility provided the staff with anti-emitics and anti-diarrheals free of charge and they made sure we were fed and hydrated while at work.

PrincessFiona60 said:
Sounds like a norovirus, those seem to head around the facility once a year, so far we've been lucky. A few years ago everyone had it, including staff, we weren't allowed to stay home, because there would not have any staff there to take care of the patients. We had to just let it run it course. The facility provided the staff with anti-emitics and anti-diarrheals free of charge and they made sure we were fed and hydrated while at work.

Good grief, that must have been miserable. Norovirus is the one reported on cruise ships too.

Aah yes. Curtain stretchers. Stab your fingers until they almost fell off. Then put them outside in the sun to dry really stiff with starch.

can employees really be forced to report to work sick?

Most of us who worked sick were volunteers, me...I'd rather be sick at work where there are tiled floors and a toilet in every room.

If you work in healthcare and everyone is sick, the employer has no choice but to demand the shifts be filled, we worked incredibly short. All non-essential staff (not direct care) were made to stay home so they would not get sick, too. We had people who were not sick in "moonsuits" removing those patients/residents who were not sick to an isolated unit. The kitchen staff left the food carts at the doors of the units. And they would run away:LOL:

Fortunately, those of us who love taking care of the elderly would rather be at work helping them, whether we are sick or not. For three weeks I worked 8 hours on, 8 off until the last of the norovirus left the building and we were cleared.

Most of us who worked sick were volunteers, me...I'd rather be sick at work where there are tiled floors and a toilet in every room.

Fortunately, those of us who love taking care of the elderly would rather be at work helping them, whether we are sick or not. For three weeks I worked 8 hours on, 8 off until the last of the norovirus left the building and we were cleared.

I have to be declared 'symptom free' for 72 hours before I will be allowed to go and have my vitals check. When the delivery man brught my meds today, he had on a mask and rubber gloves. After I handed his pen back, he took off his gloves and put on a new pair before he would take it. Sounds extreme, but this bug is racing through three cities and towns that I know of. And for the elderly, it can turn into a killer. :chef:

I have to be declared 'symptom free' for 72 hours before I will be allowed to go and have my vitals check. When the delivery man brught my meds today, he had on a mask and rubber gloves. After I handed his pen back, he took off his gloves and put on a new pair before he would take it. Sounds extreme, but this bug is racing through three cities and towns that I know of. And for the elderly, it can turn into a killer. :chef:

Exactly, it is very hard on the elderly. I got it twice, the second time was not as bad, but I was still a lot better off than most of my patients. We couldn't even accept outside help, why make more people sick if you are already in quarantine? Out of 170 residents and patients we only lost three, it could have been much worse.

PrincessFiona60 said:
Exactly, it is very hard on the elderly. I got it twice, the second time was not as bad, but I was still a lot better off than most of my patients. We couldn't even accept outside help, why make more people sick if you are already in quarantine? Out of 170 residents and patients we only lost three, it could have been much worse.

Even 3 is horrid. So sad. Must have been so hard on everyone.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom