What are you doing?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I just put a pork roast in the slow cooker. I put a dry rub on it last night - cayenne, chili powder, cumin, Mexican oregano, salt, pepper, onion powder, garlic powder. It smelled very cuminy ;) I'm going to use part of it to make tamales and freeze them for later, and part for something else Mexican later this week.

My chuck roast will be going into the slow cooker in a few hours :)

Been out surveying the yard around the house for potential problems that might occur should we get the predicted ice storm. Filled the bird feeders so my winged friends will have sustenance during the ugly weather.

It's a balmy 65F right now but it's supposed to take a nosedive into the teens by tomorrow afternoon/night. Sheesh!! All those who claim to know what they're talking about are making rumblings that we'll have something similar to what happened in January 2009. Boy, I certainly hope NOT!!!!!

In any case, I think I've removed any things that could be harmed by ice. We've pulled our vehicles closer in under the carport roof to protect them and all we can do is hope it's a mild storm.

If we lose power - a distinct possibility - we won't have water as the well is run by electricity. We won't be too cold because we have gas logs in the fireplace in the living room. Our cooktop in the kitchen is gas, so cooking won't be an issue. We've stored plenty of water and will fill the bath tub with water to flush the toilet. If necessary, we could get water from the pond for that purpose but it could be frozen, too.

The freezer is packed to the gills so any danger of losing any food is slim and will provide plenty to eat. Plus, the pantry is well-stocked with canned goods and dry goods. We definitely won't starve.

There are tons of warm blankets and goose down comforters to keep us warm, along with heavy socks, gloves, hats, boots and jackets.

There are several oil lamps and more flashlights than I can count, as well as lots of extra batteries.

We'll make sure to have our phones fully charged before we go to bed to allow for communication if needed. But, they will be useless if the ice interferes with the towers like it did last time. Still, we'll be ready.

Our laptop is always charged and if we have to juice it up we can do it with the car charger.

Sounds like gloom and doom but many, many lessons were learned last time. And we are not going to get caught with our pants down. Certainly not in icy weather.....:ROFLMAO::mrgreen:

At least this time I won't be weathering the storm alone.

Last edited:
Here's hoping it isn't as bad as they think it might be. We had doom and gloom predicted a couple of days ago, but only really got hit with some snow. Its pretty frosty here, but that's to be expected at this time of year. (-15C = 4F)

Don't forget, Katie, even if the power goes out you still have some access to water until the pressure goes out of your tank. Not a lot, but some.

I just got back in from surveying my shooting backstop. Something looked a little hinky and it was, one of my timbers broke. If it lets loose entirely things are going to start tumbling down, so I wedged a couple new timbers into it in case it lets loose.

Katie your winter storm awareness plan sounds so cozy and inviting! A few years ago, everyone on one side of town lost all power. The next morning we went to a local diner for breakfast. All these people we knew from the other side of town were coming in to eat because they had no power. They had their phone chargers with them and were plugging them into the outlets in the restaurant to get them charged. We have not had a power outage since we bought our generator 13 years ago.

One admit yesterday, so getting ready for the day should be quick. Getting to our backlog of assessments will be the big problem. I'm tempted to lock the door and ignore the phone and e-mail for three hours a day for some uninterrupted time. This has not been an easy transition week after the boss leaving. State Survey (inspection) walked in the door Monday to top it all off.

We had one of the 'just drop in' inspections in Winthrop on a day that I was there. I am one of about three patients who are allowed to go outside whenever I want. The door is ALWAYS locked. The secretaries can see me approach the door and press the release. It looks like I am just walking out through an unlocked door. One of the inspectors followed me out and wanted to ask me a bunch of questions. I got the gist immediately of where he was going. I gave all the right answers. When he went back inside, the door was locked and he couldn't get in. The secretary made him show his badge again before she would hit the buzzer to let him in.

Been out surveying the yard around the house for potential problems that might occur should we get the predicted ice storm. Filled the bird feeders so my winged friends will have sustenance during the ugly weather.

It's a balmy 65F right now but it's supposed to take a nosedive into the teens by tomorrow afternoon/night. Sheesh!! All those who claim to know what they're talking about are making rumblings that we'll have something similar to what happened in January 2009. Boy, I certainly hope NOT!!!!!

In any case, I think I've removed any things that could be harmed by ice. We've pulled our vehicles closer in under the carport roof to protect them and all we can do is hope it's a mild storm.

If we lose power - a distinct possibility - we won't have water as the well is run by electricity. We won't be too cold because we have gas logs in the fireplace in the living room. Our cooktop in the kitchen is gas, so cooking won't be an issue. We've stored plenty of water and will fill the bath tub with water to flush the toilet. If necessary, we could get water from the pond for that purpose but it could be frozen, too.

The freezer is packed to the gills so any danger of losing any food is slim and will provide plenty to eat. Plus, the pantry is well-stocked with canned goods and dry goods. We definitely won't starve.

There are tons of warm blankets and goose down comforters to keep us warm, along with heavy socks, gloves, hats, boots and jackets.

There are several oil lamps and more flashlights than I can count, as well as lots of extra batteries.

We'll make sure to have our phones fully charged before we go to bed to allow for communication if needed. But, they will be useless if the ice interferes with the towers like it did last time. Still, we'll be ready.

Our laptop is always charged and if we have to juice it up we can do it with the car charger.

Sounds like gloom and doom but many, many lessons were learned last time. And we are not going to get caught with our pants down. Certainly not in icy weather.....:ROFLMAO::mrgreen:

At least this time I won't be weathering the storm alone.

That all sounds impressive, but do you have a manual can opener in case the power does go out?

"Ma, why do you hang onto this old can opener when you have an electric one? We bought you the electric one so you wouldn't have to use this old thing anymore. DUH!

That all sounds impressive, but do you have a manual can opener in case the power does go out?

"Ma, why do you hang onto this old can opener when you have an electric one? We bought you the electric one so you wouldn't have to use this old thing anymore. DUH!

That's all we have, Addie. I've never owned an electric can opener. I used one at a friend's house once and I don't think I've ever been so frustrated. Hated it. Yuck.

My son gave me an electric Hamilton Beach one. Took me two years to learn how to get the can on right. I had to turn it backwards in order to use my left hand to get the can under the blade right. Yeah, I know, you wouldn't think there is a right or left handed electric can opener. But I swear this one is. I still have my Swingline manual one though. :angel:

I have had electric can openers that worked fine, and easily. Can't be bothered to get another one. I have a wall mounted Swing-A-Way, as well as a hand held Swing-A-Way.

Last edited:
Wall mount here. It came with the house. And I have one of those funky ones that don't leave the sharp edge, too. That works well, but is a PITB to get positioned.

My mother used an electric and the only thing it was good for was calling the cat!

The old cat would always come running when she heard that sound! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

I use a handheld. I like it because I can toss it in the dish pan after each use and it does not take up any counter space or outlets in my miniature kitchen.

Forty years ago I got as a present, a left handed manual can opener. I loved it. Somewhere it got lost in the moving back to the East Coast along with my stove top Mason Jar Pepper Shaker. :angel:

Mine is red. It goes well with my curtains and also the picture of the lighthouse on my breadbox. I don't even know what brand it is. I bought it for the color.

Back
Top Bottom