What are you doing?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm still doing the depressing task of hacking off all the winter killed shrubs. The beautyberry is next. Unlike the hydrangeas and climbing roses, I don't see any new growth from the beautyberry. I've resurrected it before, but I have a feeling this might be it.

Not a fun job, Dawg...it's hard to hack things up if there's a slight chance they may survive, but sometimes it's the most humane thing to do. :ermm::LOL:

Addie, that is one gorgeous pie. Apple?

GG...wow! Your romaine did great growing from the root. I'm impressed! :)

...GG...wow! Your romaine did great growing from the root. I'm impressed! :)

I trimmed some bushes this past winter and thought I was looking at a low hanging branch for the past couple weeks with the leaves coming in... and here one of the fallen/trimmed branches grew roots right out of the center portion of it. I went to pick up the branch and trim it this morning and it was rooted into the ground from the center :ohmy: Amazing stuff to me, who grows nothing.

Sitting here watching the end of the Red Sox game and thinking about my plan of attack for tomorrow's prep work for our Memorial Day cookout.

I just finished stuffing my criminis. The heat is on lowlow warming up the spaghetti sauce (I sense an Italian omelette in my near future tomorrow) and I'm watching The Dirty Dozen.

I trimmed some bushes this past winter and thought I was looking at a low hanging branch for the past couple weeks with the leaves coming in... and here one of the fallen/trimmed branches grew roots right out of the center portion of it. I went to pick up the branch and trim it this morning and it was rooted into the ground from the center :ohmy: Amazing stuff to me, who grows nothing.

That IS amazing, isn't it? It's just doing what it's programmed to do, but fascinating nonetheless. I've lived in the desert for years and am still amazed at the wildflowers that push their way through the dry hard soil, after no rain for months, and flourish. :)

That IS amazing, isn't it? It's just doing what it's programmed to do, but fascinating nonetheless. I've lived in the desert for years and am still amazed at the wildflowers that push their way through the dry hard soil, after no rain for months, and flourish. :)

I tell ya, Cheryl... it's enough to make you want to pick up a packet of sea monkeys and add water :LOL:

It's a classic, Fi.
And a movie I can miss parts of hear and there. Perfect for cooking to, lol.

Not a fun job, Dawg...it's hard to hack things up if there's a slight chance they may survive, but sometimes it's the most humane thing to do. :ermm::LOL:

Addie, that is one gorgeous pie. Apple?

GG...wow! Your romaine did great growing from the root. I'm impressed! :)

Yes. I usually use 10 large Granny Smith apples for my pie. But for this one I had only seven. So it was not as high as I usually make it. It went to my daughter's house. I love apple pie, but too much sugar for me. :angel:

I have a loaf of sandwich bread in the bread machine; it's almost time to put it in the microwave for its second rise. I also have some flowers and basil to plant in the garden. And a head of romaine! I re-grew it from the base and it has plenty of roots and leaves to be happy out there.

Lol GG! Does your Romaine enjoy the occasional glass of wine? Just kidding, clever idea!

The Dirty Dozen and Kelly's Heroes are our favorites!

Those are two of my favourites I used to watch with my Dad. We liked Bridge Over the River Kwai as well.

I am still up, having dragged around all day and had too long a nap. Now I am feeling better and wide awake. I have to put the edging around the afghan my friend and I made as a shower gift. It is due next Sunday so I want to get it done. That is quiet work that may make me tired as staring at the screen doesn't to it for me.

Lol GG! Does your Romaine enjoy the occasional glass of wine? Just kidding, clever idea!

Hmmm, I wonder if a bit of wine would help the roots grow faster? :LOL:

Thanks! There's a thread somewhere about different foods you can grow from their scraps, including romaine, celery, green onions, etc. I just started another romaine plant yesterday.

Hmmm, I wonder if a bit of wine would help the roots grow faster? :LOL:

Thanks! There's a thread somewhere about different foods you can grow from their scraps, including romaine, celery, green onions, etc. I just started another romaine plant yesterday.
Any advice? I've tried two and they both rotted. I'm trying another one now.

Any advice? I've tried two and they both rotted. I'm trying another one now.

I just cut a thin slice off the bottom and changed the water every day or two. I kept it in a sunny window most of the time. The leaves started growing right away and it took about three weeks the roots to develop.

I just cut a thin slice off the bottom and changed the water every day or two. I kept it in a sunny window most of the time. The leaves started growing right away and it took about three weeks the roots to develop.
Thanks. How much leaf did you leave on top?

Back
Top Bottom