What are you doing?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Waiting patiently. Ever so quietly to pounce on the mailman. Shhhhh.:angel:
Had to have those cast iron skillets. They should be here this morning.

Munky.

Not a happy morning in this house or family. My daughter saw her oncologist and the news is .....

She has to stay on the chemo for another year. The tumor has shrunk, but not as much as they had hoped for. The chemo is so debilitating. I need a corner to go cry in. :angel:

Actually, Pac, soapy water can be used to knock off aphids and spider mites from all sorts of plants and shrubs, it shouldn't hurt it as long as it's not too strong.

Really. When I was researching foliage killer (Credit, Cornerstone or one of them) and exposure to dogs' feet the company I called told me it was basically soapy water :huh:
They told me to wait until it dried and I'd be fine. And I have been in that regard, but I always thought that meant soapy water was bad for weedy things.

I think I'll do some Googling. Obviously the dust is not getting into all the nooks and crannies. I think about 3 gal of soapy water dumped in should do the trick. I guess either way the shrub wasn't that expensive.

son-of-a-gun. Look like I'll be giving the leftover hornets a bubble bath later tonight or tomorrow morning. Thanks Dawg.

Really. When I was researching foliage killer (Credit, Cornerstone or one of them)...

I was talking to the condo association's landscape contractor about Roundup and the home versions that include soap and salt. He said the key ingredient in the mix is salt. The soapy water is there to get the mixture to cling to the foliage so it can do its work.

I vaguely remember a conservation tip where you can use dishwater to water your garden to save fresh water...

All that said, I'm not responsible if your bush dies. I'll just blame the damage to the roots from the bees.

Really. When I was researching foliage killer (Credit, Cornerstone or one of them) and exposure to dogs' feet the company I called told me it was basically soapy water :huh:
They told me to wait until it dried and I'd be fine. And I have been in that regard, but I always thought that meant soapy water was bad for weedy things.

I think I'll do some Googling. Obviously the dust is not getting into all the nooks and crannies. I think about 3 gal of soapy water dumped in should do the trick. I guess either way the shrub wasn't that expensive.

My mother always threw the dishwashing water out the back door on the little garden we had right there. Those plants grew like mad. I don't know if it was the soap, warm water, or all the little pieces of food that composted. The plants closest to the door always were bigger than the rest of the little patch. I remember the radishes most. Those things were almost baseball size. the other end of the rows, very small. :angel:

son-of-a-gun. Look like I'll be giving the leftover hornets a bubble bath later tonight or tomorrow morning. Thanks Dawg.

:LOL: You're welcome, Pac!

Yeah, Roundup came to my mind too. I think the salt collapses the plant cells or something like that. A friend's son, who was in school to be a landscaper, pointed out you could drink Roundup, though I wouldn't.

Along with dishwater, some save washing machine water and bath water to water their plants. It's called gray water.

Salt, huh? Apparently the herbicide people were keep their "secret ingredient" from me :LOL:

When Katie H. posted the homemade weed killer recipe (4 cups vinegar-1/4 cup salt-1 TBSP liquid detergent) I asked if you could replant soon afterwards. Round-Up has different wait times depending on what you are putting in that dirt. She didn't know, it appears MA doesn't have the "County Extension Service" I had back home...so I took to the internet. It seems the SALT is what gets into the soil and prevents regrowth. As in, don't put salt in a garden if you want to be sure nothing grows in that spot for a long long time. Soapy water has been used for help in the garden/lawn for ages. I remember my Mom stoppering up the utility tub the washer drained into, then carrying buckets of the soapy water out to throw on the front lawn. Up popped the grubs...and it was my job to pick them up and dump them into an old can with a bit of kerosene. :sick:

When Katie H. posted the homemade weed killer recipe (4 cups vinegar-1/4 cup salt-1 TBSP liquid detergent) I asked if you could replant soon afterwards. Round-Up has different wait times depending on what you are putting in that dirt. She didn't know, it appears MA doesn't have the "County Extension Service" I had back home...

Every state has an extension service/office, although it might be associated with a city or town rather than a county:) In Massachusetts, it's based at UMass.-Amherst: UMass.-Amherst Research and Extension

Not a happy morning in this house or family. My daughter saw her oncologist and the news is .....

She has to stay on the chemo for another year. The tumor has shrunk, but not as much as they had hoped for. The chemo is so debilitating. I need a corner to go cry in. :angel:
(((Hugs Addie))) :angel::angel::angel:

Oh no. I am so very sorry, Addie. I shall be praying more for you and your daughter. I send you many hugs.

Your friend,
~Cat

Every state has an extension service/office, although it might be associated with a city or town rather than a county:) In Massachusetts, it's based at UMass.-Amherst: UMass.-Amherst Research and Extension
Leave it to our resident Master Gardener to find it. ;) I did run across that on the state website but it seemed like it might not be as helpful as I wanted. Picky broad, I know. Ultimately, I found an answer long before I'll find the energy to go out into the garden and get some work done. OTOH the snows will be coming around in a few months and hide everything. :LOL:

I'm sure the cold will drive my remaining hornets out, too... but that didn't stop me from pouring 4 gal on soapy water down their hole this morning :devilish:

My kids....Well, they really ain't kids, my youngest is 22...love to play those video games.
They are always after me to try it but those controls got too many buttons!
BTW...Welcome to D.C., greitas!

I'm truly sorry to hear this news about your daughter, Addie. Best wishes to you and your family.

Back
Top Bottom