What are you doing?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have a crock pot of split pea soup and a big pot of chicken stock simmering away. It smells so good in here. I used four pounds of chicken bones and skins and carrot and onion scraps from the freezer, as well as bay leaves, thyme and parsley from the garden.
0216191335.jpg20190216_142803.jpg

I'm finding out that I can no longer multitask? :ermm: I have potatoes and eggs on the stove cooking up for potato salad. There is a chance that the eggs will be overcooked...

I'm finding out that I can no longer multitask? :ermm: I have potatoes and eggs on the stove cooking up for potato salad. There is a chance that the eggs will be overcooked...

That made me smile.. I find that now, it hurts my brain when I have to have 3 or 4 items all be ready at the same time.. Old age.. ;):ermm:

Ross

That's beauteous.

(I'm one of those weirdos who loves snow)

As for what I'm doing? Sitting here practically falling asleep at my computer. It's been a long, busy day and I not only woke up on the wrong side of the bed, the first thing that happened to me today was I stood up out of bed and put my foot right down into a pile of cat puke.

I was livid. And I've been in a lousy mood ever since.

Never, ever, in my entire life have I EVER ...
View attachment 33727

View attachment 33728

View attachment 33729
... Shoveled SNOW!!!

DH and I are taking turns so that we're just
as soar and achy together. [emoji38]
NO WHINING!! :ROFLMAO:
We've been doing a bunch of that as well. The first day the snowplow kept reburying us. It was kind of funny in a National Lampoon comedy sorta way.

Now, we are just hanging in the chilly house with no power for the 5th and a half day. We put up supports on the flat utility room roof so it didn't collapse and now are just waiting for power.

Looks like our long dead end road is repaired. They had 40 lines down in just a few miles. But now they can't get power to our substation so we wait.

We have kerosene and propane, so we're good. As a coincidence, my wife is on vacation. This week, so we can just hunker down and chill. I've shut down my work for the week, so it is a very relaxing, though starting to get boring week.

Looks like it could be another whole week without power.

Worst part, for us, is we were too busy, or lazy, depending on how you look at it, to put things out I the snow, and lost the whole fridge. Including my condiment collection, which was pretty large. I collect sauces. Probably could have still used them, but just wasnt sure and some were, ah, getting a bit long in the tooth anyway. Now I get to sit on Amazon and order new ones.

Small, even tiny loss compared to many around here for sure. Houses crushed, horses up the road lost when trees fell on them. Luckily ours stayed in the open and we didn't lose many trees or limbs.

The phone company in town completely collapsed. It has been pretty catastrophic for our area. Most snow in 100 years they say.

Last edited:
Posting from my phone.

Our backup power consists of a big bunch of Milwaukie batteries I use for work. 20v and 12v gear.

The bluetooth speaker and and a 12v power pack have USB outlets, so we can keep phone and tablets charged. We go to town and charge them when needed. They also run the construction lights at night. The bigger batteries last all night or more.

No backup power for the house, so no well or electric heat. We have been gathering water from the roof for toilets and using the grill to cook. That will be the first thing we do when work picks back up. Get a mid sized generator to run the main stuff.

The worst for us is no showers for now on 5 or 6 days. Most folks I know live on the outskirts and they are out of power as well, so nowhere to go locally to shower.

We will be heading to one if my remodels this afternoon to check on it and take showers, but its 30 minutes away, so not a daily thing.

It was fun for 3 or 4 days, now it is just boring drudgery.

Bring on Spring!

Oh, and my work truck is stuck in the pasture to the rims.

Glad to hear you had those power packs, etc. VH. I figured you must have something like that if your phone was still working after five days.

It does seem to be the most important thing these days.

No showers, no big deal.
No food, no big deal.
No water, no big deal.

Hey guys, we may not be able to charge phones for a day or so. The world ends.

Short cattle drive this morning. Moving the pregnant Wagyu cows home to calf. These are the neighbors cows. The calves will come to our feedlot when they are ready.IMG_20190301_093400.jpgMVIMG_20190301_093438.jpg

Wow, VH....I can't imagine...glad to see you have at least limited access to the outside world. Hoping you get hot showers and kitchen cooking soon - not to mention business picking up in the near future. Thank you for sharing. You seem to have a very good 'we'll get through this' attitude. Take care.

Heh. Thought I'd get a head start on the batteries in my smoke/CO detectors. I replaced the batteries after I broke a couple nails wrestling open the little battery drawers, pushed the buttons, and... nothing. Huh. Apparently one had expired in 2010, the other in 2011. So off to Amazon I went to order a couple new ones.

Heh. Thought I'd get a head start on the batteries in my smoke/CO detectors. I replaced the batteries after I broke a couple nails wrestling open the little battery drawers, pushed the buttons, and... nothing. Huh. Apparently one had expired in 2010, the other in 2011. So off to Amazon I went to order a couple new ones.

I can't help wondering who's bright idea it was to combine the smoke detector in the same apparatus as the CO2. Smoke rises, CO2 goes down to the level of the floor. Spike took the one in my apartment and replaced the one with two different pieces of detector. The Maintenance Manager was a but upset, but did agree it was a way better system. It all came down to the mighty dollar. Cheaper to buy just one system than pay for two separate ones.

My CO2 is attached just below the top of the door frame near the heating vent.

Back
Top Bottom