What do you put in your ramen?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lugaru

Sous Chef
You know... instant noodles.

My favorites:

Using not that much water, frying the noodles with frozen veggies, a diced chinese sausage and curry powder.

Making the soup regularly, keeping the heat real high and crack and egg in. Maybe a little soysauce and hotsauce.

Put cheese sandwich in a bowl, pour instant soup on top. Gooeylicious!

I don't eat them very often... once a year maybe. But, my son loves them. He opens a small can of peas and a can of corn and throws those in. He also takes out most of the broth. It's just toooo salty.

My grandson practically lives off them. He dumps off most of the water and eats them plain.
I've made some very good casseroles with them...and you sure can't beat the price.

If I've got a small amount of a clear soup left over, eg cock a leekie - I just pour it over the ramen noodles for a satisfying lunch snack.

I also like to use them in stir fries.

I poach an egg in the soup once the noodles are almost done. Also have been known to put chinese chives, tomato & shrimp. If I have a Vietnamese meat patty, I'll cut a piece of that into it too. Once done, sometimes I put a dash of red wine vinegar & hot sauce before serving.

Though I'm a ramen snob, I never eat the stuff you get at costco or the local grocery store (the orange label one). I only buy the brands at my local Asian store. They have a lot more variety and taste better IMO.

I put in bok choy and diced Spam. One time I tried cracking an egg intot he hot soup then stirring it around. It tasted pretty good. What flavors do you usually get? I always get the Oriental flavor then add extra garlic and ginger.

I like the creamy chicken the best; it doesn't taste as salty. Most times I just add fresh grated Parmesan to it and black pepper.

Actually I usually skip the flavor's entirely... I have a drawer full of flavor packets since I usually use sauces or actual broth for the liquid. That also fixes the problem of them beeing too salty...

As for buying it at an asiam market I agree... I love my super 88.

We toast the noodles after breaking them up and add to curly cabbage, with sliced toasted almonds sliced green onions and use the soup base as a dressing with sesame oil and rice vinegar..yummy..Cade likes them without the broth, just mix in half of the soup base along with butter he will eat the whole package of cooked noodles like this, I like to add Chinese sliced bbq'd pork and sliced green onions and a quartered hard boiled egg and this makes a nice soup when I'm cold... kadesma

I forgot they had the creamy kind. Sometimes I skip out on the cooking part :LOL: , the noodles are good with just some of the flavoring spinkled on.

Stir frying soft ramen noodles with cabbage, carrots, etc is Japanese yakisoba and is a wondeful dish

ICadvisor said:
This is a neat idea, I've not heard of before for instant Ramen, do you do it in a fry pan/wok?
I just put them in a fry pan and stir til I get the color I want..It really give the salad a nice flavor.
kadesma:)

While I was in London I went to this place called Wagamama's. It is great, you should try it if you get the chance.

Anyway, while eating the person across from me ordered a ramen. When it showed up it looked good. So from that experience, I make ramen as follows

Olive oil in pot.
Thin slices of chicken browned slightly.
Then add
snow peas
shitake mushrooms sliced
been sprouts
water chestnuts
I essentially stir fry them for a few minutes, then add some water and the flavor packet.
bring it to a boil and break up the ramen into the pot. Add some Soy sauce and wait for the noodles to finish.
I eat this as a soup. It is the best way I have found to eat them and it reminds me of Wagamama's and London.

hmmm vietnamense hot sauce, egg, some beef, chives, diced onion and garlic, 1 hot red pepper some pigs blood.

Masteraznchefj, pigs blood, good stuff! I like that in my congee. Never thought to put it into ramen though, nice idea!

I don't have ramen very often, but I have put in sliced green onions, sesame oil, chili oil, snow pea pods, etc. Like kadesma I have used them with cabbage, almonds, green onions, chicken, sesame seeds and a dressing to make a salad.

Back
Top Bottom