What have you had for lunch lately?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Today. I had a cup of homemade vegetable beef soup with 2 small cracker squares & a cup & a half of yummy fresh watermelon.

I made a pinto bean-roasted red pepper-sundried tomato-green olive-pecan hummus this morning for when my friend comes by for chowder this evening. For my lunch, I've got raw broccoli, carrot, rutabaga, and red pepper to dip in the 1/2 c of hummus I've set aside. Yum. But I can eat hummus off a spoon, don't need any dippers!

i have had this THING for cantaloupe lately, OMG!--had my third one today in about the space of one week. each melon has been more perfect than the last--deep dark orange, lush, spilling sweet juices in my mouth. actually causing me to choke on the bursting juice sprays. every one has been a dole fruit. have i happened on the peak of the season? i hope... this is turning into a fruit binge for me--today's cantaloupe went with 1/4 pint of plump, sweet chilean blueberries....this may be my body's way of catching up on the fresh fruit that tends to get missed for stretches of days and weeks, at other times....:)

i have had this THING for cantaloupe lately, OMG!--had my third one today in about the space of one week. each melon has been more perfect than the last--deep dark orange, lush, spilling sweet juices in my mouth. actually causing me to choke on the bursting juice sprays. every one has been a dole fruit. have i happened on the peak of the season? i hope... this is turning into a fruit binge for me--today's cantaloupe went with 1/4 pint of plump, sweet chilean blueberries....this may be my body's way of catching up on the fresh fruit that tends to get missed for stretches of days and weeks, at other times....:)

We had the best cantaloupes this year too :yum: Sweet and dripping with juice. Darn they were good!
I found them for R10 for 3! That just over $1. I thought they would be horrible for that price but they were the best I've had in years. I ate dozens :ROFLMAO:

Today I very thinly sliced off the ends of a freshly baked loaf of honey wheat bread. I spread yellow mustard on each side & topped it with a slice of swiss cheese. 1 oz of lean deli ham & some fresh pineapple. Ate it in the car on the way to get a haircut. I also had half of a small bag of baked cheetoes & a 20 oz water.

Today I very thinly sliced off the ends of a freshly baked loaf of honey wheat bread. I spread yellow mustard on each side & topped it with a slice of swiss cheese. 1 oz of lean deli ham & some fresh pineapple. Ate it in the car on the way to get a haircut. I also had half of a small bag of baked cheetoes & a 20 oz water.
A snack food I used to take to work was I would make airpopped popcorn and put that in ziplock bags. I like it with S&P or curry powder or chilpolte chili powder, but curry powder and chilpolte stain the fingers. I also would use a couple of shakes of "canned" Parmesan cheese, but you could take a mixture of ziplock bags of popcorn and raw veggies for car snacks. My brother went to university where Cheetos are made. The smell in the air was disgusting. It put me off Cheetos for life.

A snack food I used to take to work was I would make airpopped popcorn and put that in ziplock bags. I like it with S&P or curry powder or chilpolte chili powder, but curry powder and chilpolte stain the fingers. I also would use a couple of shakes of "canned" Parmesan cheese, but you could take a mixture of ziplock bags of popcorn and raw veggies for car snacks. My brother went to university where Cheetos are made. The smell in the air was disgusting. It put me off Cheetos for life.
Wish there was a way to buy some air popped corn, nothing available here but I love the idea of the parmesan cheese on popcorn, the fresh veggies would be good too. Maybe I could make that cottage cheese dip you talked about, sounds like a great grab & go lunch,:yum: thanks again for the great tips!:angel:

Wish there was a way to buy some air popped corn, nothing available here but I love the idea of the parmesan cheese on popcorn, the fresh veggies would be good too. Maybe I could make that cottage cheese dip you talked about, sounds like a great grab & go lunch,:yum: thanks again for the great tips!:angel:
I made mine at home using my air popper popcorn maker. I would do this on Sunday afternoons and prep it for the week so I could do several different varieties. This is also something I prep for when I make my road trip to MN. Car food! When I would work on site, I had to have FOOD. So, I would pick up cans of smoked mussels or oysters and some saltines (I love saltine crackers). The mussels/oysters were something I could eat at my desk without too much fuss. Veggies with cottage cheese, hard boiled eggs, cheese cubes, fruit. I also would bring yogurt covered raisins or nuts and I often mixed up a little ziplock of raw nuts (all kinds), a handful of chocolate chips (dark) and toss that together with chilpolte chili powder and a bit of sea salt/Kosher salt. Still one of my favorite snacks when I snack. This would be for a week--not a day! I also liked to have rice cakes in my drawer. The bottom drawer of my desk was a pantry...but the guy in the next cube had a mini fridge so I could put perishables in his mini fridge...Another favorite road food (and snack) is tomato chips. I dehydrate tomatoes and love those. The flavor is very intense. You can pick up a cheap dehydrator at Walmart that will do the job. You can prep the tomatoes (maybe you have one of those commercial tomato slicers--Netko?) and could dehydrate those slices overnight or on the weekend. Great snack food. You could also dehydrate bananas and other fruits to have as a dried fruit snack. The $40 you would spend on the cheap dehydrator probably would pay for itself in short order if you dehydrated fruit in season.

Last edited:
I made mine at home using my air popper popcorn maker. I would do this on Sunday afternoons and prep it for the week so I could do several different varieties. This is also something I prep for when I make my road trip to MN. Car food! When I would work on site, I had to have FOOD. So, I would pick up cans of smoked mussels or oysters and some saltines (I love saltine crackers). The mussels/oysters were something I could eat at my desk without too much fuss. I also would bring yogurt covered raisins or nuts and I often mixed up a little ziplock of raw nuts (all kinds), a handful of chocolate chips (dark) and toss that together with chilpolte chili powder and a bit of sea salt/Kosher salt. Still one of my favorite snacks when I snack.
:yum::yum:Sounds like yummy snacks. I may have to invest in an air popper.

I had two kiwi fruit for my mid day snack. Lunch was a salad with green onion, red & green peppers, carrots, grape tomatoes and ranch dressing. Buffalo chicken and water.

Very good. You had protein, carb, fiber, fresh fruit and a small treat for yourself. Giving yourself a treat every so often is important. Losing weight isn't about depriving yourself, but eating sensibly. :angel:

Yesterday I made chicken salad from leftover roast chicken, scallions and mayonnaise on whole wheat bread.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom