What is your weather like right now?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
21°F in NYC this morning. 13°F on my mountain.
Snow on the way.

I need to find a couple of old roof shingles. The little ramp into my shed is as slick as snot when it gets wet or snowy, so every time that I have to go there to get the snowblower or tools or something, I've wiped out. Every time. Stapling the shingles to the ramp would give traction.

I feel like an immobilized Polar Bear by the time I get my layers on, my scarf wrapped around my face, my hat and face mask on--I can barely waddle out with the dog and still see. My Dad and I flip a coin to determine which of us will walk down the driveway to get the paper in the morning. BTW, Whiska, we've been calling the weather a bit brisk in Northern MN. Tomorrow we will probably call it frigid when the wind gusts are blowing. And, it is Sun Dog Season in N. Minnesota. A season I never knew existed. Remind me again why I am wintering in N. MN and not in TX or Eastern Ontario?

I define a wee bit brisk is when you are able to walk with a sense of purpose and a spring in your step. Frigid is when you can only waddle with all those layers on it doesn't matter how cold it is, you think you may need to stop along the way for sustenance (but can't) just to keep your energy up until you get to where you are going.
--

Well, it's up to 9F. Good. Up to 12 inches snowfall is now predicted over the next 24 hours. It is just starting, so you read it here first. Not so good. I set the cat in the window to keep my posted. I'm gonna make a cuppa hot tea. Uh-oop, she's left her station already. So much for that theory.

Snow on the way.

I need to find a couple of old roof shingles. The little ramp into my shed is as slick as snot when it gets wet or snowy, so every time that I have to go there to get the snowblower or tools or something, I've wiped out. Every time. Stapling the shingles to the ramp would give traction.

BT, sometimes HD or Lowes has broken or undersized bundles of shingles that you can get for a steal. Sometimes one shingle will break or be cracked and the bundle cannot be sold as a whole. Or you may look at the end pieces they have of plywood when they cut one to size for a customer. If the trip to either store is too far, call first to see if they have either on hand. I know that the HD that Spike uses all the time will just give him the odd piece if they have one.

I define a wee bit brisk is when you are able to walk with a sense of purpose and a spring in your step. Frigid is when you can only waddle with all those layers on it doesn't matter how cold it is, you think you may need to stop along the way for sustenance (but can't) just to keep your energy up until you get to where you are going.
--

Well, it's up to 9F. Good. Up to 12 inches snowfall is now predicted over the next 24 hours. It is just starting, so you read it here first. Not so good. I set the cat in the window to keep my posted. I'm gonna make a cuppa hot tea. Uh-oop, she's left her station already. So much for that theory.
The wind gusts haven't hit--yet. It is, however, -12F. I won the coin toss this morning so Dad had to bundle up and go out for the paper. After 30 minutes, I was beginning to think I had to send out a posse to find him. Luckily, before I got fully dressed, (and held off on calling the neighbour), he waddled in looking like a snowman.

BT, sometimes HD or Lowes has broken or undersized bundles of shingles that you can get for a steal. Sometimes one shingle will break or be cracked and the bundle cannot be sold as a whole. Or you may look at the end pieces they have of plywood when they cut one to size for a customer. If the trip to either store is too far, call first to see if they have either on hand. I know that the HD that Spike uses all the time will just give him the odd piece if they have one.

Thanks, Adds. Good idea.

I guess I should go put these back before the neighbor gets home and looks up. :angel:

Last edited:
We got some much need rain overnight.

Same up here last night and this morning, RF. Had quite a storm to go along with it, knocked out power for a couple of hours. Sunny and fairly warm now, but still super windy.

Last edited:
Snow on the way.

I use these when walking on ice.

https://www.amazon.com/STABILicers-...coding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=8RKXYTVF24XQRXGAKXMK

Too. Danged. Cold.

Not that it really matters. The thermometer says "11" outside, but the living room thermostat says 68...and the kitchen has to be warmer. Two pots of soup bubbling on the stove? Definitely winter smells! :yum:

Thanks, Adds. Good idea.

I guess I should go put these back before the neighbor gets home and looks up. :angel:

Yeah, if it starts to snow, that will be a dead give away. Sitting at the dining room table, all hands joined in prayer, and asking the good Lord to look kindly upon the family. Snow falling down on them will really make believers out of them.

I admit it. I do get very silly at times. :wacko:

Last edited:
Lol, that reminds me of an old expression that Bolas used once.

Someone posted a picture of themselves at a special family dinner, and he was wearing a hat at the table.

Bolas asked him if his roof was leaky, but few people got it.

The next 2 days should be interesting. The snow should start around 1 AM and continue until around 10 AM, when it's supposed to changeover to sleet and ice for a few hours

I have to work until 8 AM, then drive home in the snow (8" is predicted there), shovel the driveway when it stops, and be back at work by 3 PM.

Wish me luck.

Thanks, Adds. I guess I'll sleep when I'm dead.

I got the snow blower back the other day, and it's running great.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom