Who makes a nice spatula and tongs set?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jd_1138

Sous Chef
I really need some gear. We have one metal spatula, and if it's dirty, in the dishwasher, or out on the grill, then I have to cook without it. And I use it for a lot of stuff besides flipping burgers and meats -- including removing fried foods out of the pan like fries.

Also, I only have one set of tongs, and they're usually out on the grill. :)

Oxo makes the best stainless tongs with or without silicone tips. There are lost of sturdy metal spats and plastic ones. I'd go to BB&B and test out a few.

Oxo puts a lot of research into all the equipment they make. They always keep two things in mind:

How easy are they for the elderly and handicap to use and will it fit into the budget of the elderly.

You can't go wrong with Oxo. Take a trip to BB&B and see for yourself.

You can probably get a much better deal on Oxo utensils at Target, and maybe your grocery store; my Kroger has a large section of kitchen gear. BB&B tends to be overpriced, imo.

I like my bamboo utensils for a lot of my cooking (the different shapes are good for different tasks) and I have several silicone spatulas and spoons that are best for stirring and scraping foods out of bowls.

And we have three sets of tongs - one with silicone tips and two without. One of the ones without is twice as long as the other - we use it for the grill.

Last edited:
I don't see Oxo products discounted very often. However, if you get the BB&B $5 off a $15 purchase coupon, or the 20% off one item coupon, you can save a few bucks.

You can find some ATK spatula reviews on YouTube, and Seriouseats has some reviews as well.

Another good place, if one is near you, is a restaurant supply store. Quality equipment at a reasonable price. Their stuff is meant to stand up to excessive use in a restaurant kitchen.

For tongs, I agree with OXO. I have a bunch of tongs -- and plastic cutting boards.

CD

For tongs I prefer a couple different sizes of these inexpensive all metal scalloped tongs that automatically lock when you squeeze them closed and point them up.
034-4409hdl12_large.jpg

For a spatula I prefer a Dexter Russell 6x3 or 4x3, hamburger flipper, similar to this one.

16150.jpg

For Tongs I go to the $ Store. I have quite a few. 2 very short ones, one medium long, and a couple of very long ones for the grill and to reach thiings down from the top shelves. I've only had one fall apart on me in less than a year of its lifespan - and for $1.50 to $2.00 a pop - that's OK by me!

I will say I purchased a silicone one with the Betty Crocker label on. There are slight pads on the arms of it and a round silicone locker and release on the end. You have to have the grip of Hercules to release and lock them, not to mention wrapping your hand around them to use with a death grip. It flew off across the stove and counter on several occasions. So... into the back of the drawer it went and probably headed for the basement soon.

For spatulas, I also use mostly wooden and have all different shapes even chop sticks (which I use fairly frequently). Also have silicone spatulas in various sizes. I have one plastic that I use on occasion. My favourite metal one is a fish spatula. So delicate - I love it. Have two sizes, regular and large.
When my mother's ancient fish spatula died I looked for months to replace it. Finally paid an outrageous price and mail ordered it from "Chefs". Of course, within 2 months I found them in all the stores I had scoured at a third of the price I paid. :mad: But even so they are my all time favourites.

I like my OXO tongs. Two 12", one with silicone tips and one without. I also have a shorter one - maybe 9"? I'd have to measure, and they are 600+ miles away. :LOL:

This showed up on seriouseats this morning:

The Best Kitchen Tongs | Serious Eats

The section with non-food suggestions for use got me to thinking about my most popular non-cooking use for them. I use them to retrieve unbreakable things from the top shelf in my upper cupboards. Beats dragging out the step-stool!

For tongs I prefer a couple different sizes of these inexpensive all metal scalloped tongs that automatically lock when you squeeze them closed and point them up.
034-4409hdl12_large.jpg

For a spatula I prefer a Dexter Russell 6x3 or 4x3, hamburger flipper, similar to this one.

16150.jpg

Like both of those. Also, wouldn't want to be without these two flexible spatulas and lubricant. The white handle is often called a fish turner and, like the one Aunt Bea pictured, it is also made by Dexter Russell, a good source of many things including knives, mostly sold in restaurant supply stores.
oJ08JlVl.jpg

Nylon or silicone tipped tongs are helpful with non-stick skillets but you can live without them if you use something like the Pyrex silicone spatula above to lift up an edge of your tortilla, then grab hold of it with the stainless steel tongs.

Last edited:
Just go buy some at The 'It's Not 99¢ Only Any More' Store. You're just going to bend, break, or lose them anyway.

Not true, when it comes to tongs. The cheap ones are great if you like dropping a big, expensive steak on the ground. Sometimes you really do get what you pay for, and my OXO tongs are worth the extra I paid for them.

BTW, how does one lose tongs? :LOL:

CD

Not true, when it comes to tongs. The cheap ones are great if you like dropping a big, expensive steak on the ground. Sometimes you really do get what you pay for, and my OXO tongs are worth the extra I paid for them.

BTW, how does one lose tongs? :LOL:

CD

I used to buy stainless steel tongs from whatever maker offered them. The spring that opens the tongs always rusted out and broke. Someone here put me on to OXO who makes their tongs with stainless steel springs. They don't rust! As a result, my more expensive tongs last a really long time and I don't get frustrated. I fully expect everything I buy to last forever.

Well I have never had any of my cheap tongs rust. The rivet hinge has given out on two of them and it is usually the extra long ones, used mainly for the grill and things on top shelves of cupboards. Even then that is after more than a years use (if not even longer - I don't date the utensils when I buy them :LOL:)

Nor have I ever dropped a steak but I don't cook many steaks, :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Just go buy some at The 'It's Not 99¢ Only Any More' Store. You're just going to bend, break, or lose them anyway.

Not so. I don't understand why you would offer such poor advice.

We have 2 sets of kitchen tongs, one Oxo and one something else, both with soft tips. Both are about 10 years old (the Oxo may be slightly newer, but they were bought before 2012) and still look like brand new, despite often being used multiple times daily. I expect them to last about as long as I do.

I also have the long ones that came with my Weber BBQ tool set. They are only a couple of years old, but also look like new.

Last edited:
Maybe my off brand tongs would rust at the spring because I always put them in the dishwasher.

Back
Top Bottom