Who's Trying to Lose Weight?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Down 71 pounds.

No gimmicks, just moderation. Nothing is off limits. I do keep junk and heavily processed foods to a minimum. I eat healthy fats, mostly healthier breads (100% whole wheat) and just try to keep balance. I consume more fiber now. Breakfast is a healthy cereal (like bran flakes) which I actually prefer and have since I was a kid, lunch is a sandwich and a piece of fruit, and dinner is a protein, veg and a starch or starchy veg. Sometimes I have a light snack between meals if I feel peckish.

I follow this plan about 80% of the time, the other 20% I know that there will be dinners out, and other occasions where there will be goodies I want, and I let myself have them.

Now for exercise, I really need to start exercising.

I'm using the online program. I don't go to meetings and no one "watches over my diet or weight". The program gives you a certain number of daily points based upon your age, height and weight. As your weight decreases, so do the amount of daily points you get. Everyone is also given 49 weekly points to use if you chose whenever you want during that week (they don't carry over). You can also get activity points depending upon the duration and and intensity of the activity. You are encouraged to get at least 30 minutes of activity everyday.

All foods are given a point value. Fruits and most vegetables are free (in moderation) to encourage people to eat more of those. There is a recipe builder where you can plug in your own recipes and serving size and it will give you a point value for that recipe per serving. The recipe builder as well as the points calculator calculates the number of points based upon the nutritional value of the recipe/food (total fat, carbs, protein and fiber). You can eat whatever you want but when you are out of points, you are out of points. It is a very forgiving program...unlike other programs...if you "fall off the wagon", you have weekly points to fall back on and if that is not enough, you can just put in some more time exercising...or...if you really "fall off the wagon", just call it a day and start anew :LOL:.

It sounds fun and indeed very forgiving. I will check it and see if I can stick to it. Thank You!

I am on 33g of fat and 1000mg soduim a day. That's it, I can eat anything I want within those guidelines. And since I cannot eat raw vegetables...it's been tough!

I've dropped 55 lbs. in 90 days - low carbs, low sugar, small to medium portion control (no seconds) and walking.

Basically, sensible food choices; fresh fruits for dessert, non-fat snacks (nuts, dried fruit, pork rinds, sugar-free ice cream bars, etc.), the main meal of the day around noon (a hamburger without the bun, baked chicken in place of fried - all fried food is a no-no, in a short time you won't miss it!), with only a light meal in the evening (salad, cheese & fruit, 1/2 portion of leftovers.)

Learning what is fattening and what is low fat and fat free is just a matter of a little reading and study (it's not hard), so educating yourself is the best thing you can do and may even save your health.

The truth is that in time you educate your appetite and your body learns that he should crave only for healty food. Getting to that point is the difficult part :)

I have just started the south beach diet,been on it for just 12 days so i have alot to learn,it seems like a good diet plan its healthy.

You all have mentioned exercise, or the lack of exercise. I have to say, at least for me, exercise has been the key for me finally getting myself into shape during the past year. I have never been one to want to work out or go to the gym. I had looked for something I enjoyed and that I could physically do....I have some limitations. I bought an elliptical and HATED IT. I have had a treadmill in the past and hated that, too. I finally found the Leslie Sansone DVDs and just took off with that and love it so much. I can do it, it is easy for me and it is great exercise. I do one of the walks (either 2, 3 or 5 mile) every morning before work. I usually take the weekends off from formal exercise.

So if you want to exercise, DO keep looking until you find something that you enjoy and can stick with.:)

I've lost 40 pounds in the past year and have 10 pounds to go until I reach my goal weight.

Last edited:
I have heard about a ridiculous diet with soup, fiber bars and boiled apples. It's supposedly a wonder diet that will help you lose about 22 pounds. It doesn't seem very healthy and I don't know if I should try it. What do you think?
I think any diet will work as long as you continue to follow it. How long could anyone follow this diet. It would work because after a very short time you get sick of the food and cut down your portions. That is also why it fails. Who could eat like that forever?

My friend cut out wheat, dairy, sugars and salt. Any meats were lean. Lots of veggies. Fruit once a day as a treat. She lost 70 lbs and has kept it off for 3 years. She walks and does a little bit of free weights each day except for Sunday. I think a lot of it has to do with you mind set and not letting yourself feel deprived.

I think any diet will work as long as you continue to follow it. How long could anyone follow this diet. It would work because after a very short time you get sick of the food and cut down your portions. That is also why it fails. Who could eat like that forever?

It really is a drastic diet, but I know people that tried it and it worked. They ate like this for about a month or two and after this one month of salads, fruits, vegetables and grilled chicken breast. The next step was to start eating regular food gradually until having a normal and healthy diet. For them it worked and they lost a total of 66 pounds in about 6 months, but I don't know if I could do it. It seems too difficult.

Now I am 90kg. I want to lose weight, the main problem with me is rice. Our staple diet is rice and it contains large amount of carbohydrates. I tried roti, chapaties instead of rice but that don't suit with my digestion. I am very fond of sweets yet I haven't eat any kind of sweet meats for a long time so I always feel that something is missing in my meal.

Portion control is just as important as the amount of carbohydrates (starches). Take 1/3 less rice than you're used to and gradually get you're body used to eating less... not overnight... not all at once, but over the course of a month.

Fewer carbohydrates...
More vegetables to fill in...
No carbs after 6:00 p.m. (you're body will turn carbs directly to fat while you sleep)
A positive attitude and explore creative but pleasant ways to alter your diet with the results always in mind as motivation.

I've been losing steadily for a while now, total lost is about 60lbs!! I've made bad choices this week with food and exercise so tonight's dinner I'm getting back on the bandwagon. I'm 155lbs, goal is about 140.

No secret diet or anything, just burning more calories than I consume. eating foods that are good for me and cutting out the junk (fast food, hfcs, etc). And I exercise.

I have been following a diet for 4 weeks now. At first it was very hard specially because I am the only one in my house tring to loose weight. So I am cooking special dinner for me and also cooking another dinner for my family each day. But now I got used to it. I have only lost 11 Ibs. My goal is 30 Ibs. Wish me luck

I have been following a diet for 4 weeks now. At first it was very hard specially because I am the only one in my house tring to loose weight. So I am cooking special dinner for me and also cooking another dinner for my family each day. But now I got used to it. I have only lost 11 Ibs. My goal is 30 Ibs. Wish me luck

Good luck! I'm dieting also I's only ben not quite a week. I have alot to lose. I cook seperately for myself & another meal for my family. It's a struggle but I'll get used ti it.

I am in the process of losing quite a bit. This time I decided to concentrate on eating a normal amount of calories and not going on a highly restrictive plan. This with some exercise is working. Also eat a lot of citrus because the activity involved in peeling them takes some time.

I had lost 15 lbs between August and mid-November of last year, 10 of them are now back. (I stopped walking when the weather got cold and they all came back). So I am now trying to loose those 10lbs by the end of April and another 25 lbs by the beginning of August.

Aunt Bea said:
I am in the process of losing quite a bit. This time I decided to concentrate on eating a normal amount of calories and not going on a highly restrictive plan. This with some exercise is working. Also eat a lot of citrus because the activity involved in peeling them takes some time.

I eat grapefruit because it keeps me busy for awhile lol. I use a serrated knife to cut off the peel, the pick out the juicy sections with my fingers and leave the tough bitter membrane behind. Personally I like grapefruit with no sugar. Obviously this wouldn't work for someone who needs piles of sugar ;)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom