Freezerburn packaging

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Noob00225

Assistant Cook
How should meat be packaged for freezer? Many say it should be sealed, but I got frozen fish that is not sealed.

Is there a difference between frozen items loose in packaging and refrigerated meat (in packaging)?

I have no idea of your location or individual circumstances.

The general procedure here is to package things for the freezer with as little air as possible.

A popular method is to vacuum sealing items for freezing, thus removing all or most all the air from a package.

There are many appliances available for this procedure. I'd suggest you search for "vacuum sealing machines" online.

Ross

Food in supermarket packaging with a styrofoam tray and plastic over the food is not a good way to freeze food. The air captured inside the package will cause freezer burn.

Remove the food item from the store packaging and wrap it tightly in plastic wrap. Do your best to ensure there are no air pockets. Then put the wrapped item into a plastic freezer bag and seal it squeezing out as much air as possible. This combo will allow you to freeze meat/fish/poultry in good condition for extended periods.

freezer burn is not caused by air in the package.

freezers have inherently very very low relative humidity.
as a result water - now frozen - is extracted from the frozen meat (for example) and sublimates thru the packaging into the freezer air.
the surface of the meat/vegetable/whatever dries out - and the affected areas have been labeled "burn."

many/most plastic are not especially good moisture vapor barriers.
some are better than others - co-extrusions typically.

in the zip bag arena - on the shelf you will see "storage bags" and "freezer bags" - storage bags are just low density polyethylene, the freezer bags a co-extrusion of low density and high density polyethylene - which is a better moisture barrier.

those silvery bags around electronics / etc? not only static 'proof' but they are metalized - molecular layer of metal deposited on plastic because . . . .

the two commonly available materials which are completely moisture proof (and oxygen proof...) are
metal
glass.

freezer burn is not caused by air in the package.

freezers have inherently very very low relative humidity.
as a result water - now frozen - is extracted from the frozen meat (for example) and sublimates thru the packaging into the freezer air.
the surface of the meat/vegetable/whatever dries out - and the affected areas have been labeled "burn."

many/most plastic are not especially good moisture vapor barriers.
some are better than others - co-extrusions typically.

in the zip bag arena - on the shelf you will see "storage bags" and "freezer bags" - storage bags are just low density polyethylene, the freezer bags a co-extrusion of low density and high density polyethylene - which is a better moisture barrier.

those silvery bags around electronics / etc? not only static 'proof' but they are metalized - molecular layer of metal deposited on plastic because . . . .

the two commonly available materials which are completely moisture proof (and oxygen proof...) are
metal
glass.

Perhaps you are entirely correct.

All I can attest to is that for over 30 years I have vacuum packed most everything freezable and have never, even after a year, lost any item to freezer burn.

Ross

freezer burn is not caused by air in the package...

In my experience, the only evidence of freezer burn I see is where there is an air space in the package. A vacuum sealed package of meat with no significant air pockets can spend a long time (over a year) in the freezer and exhibit no freezer burn at all. YMMV

that's because given the space available, the moisture sublimes on the the surface of the meat/other instead of forming frost on the freezer wall.
in a frost free freezer/refrigerator - one never sees the frost on the wall....

if it is wrapped tight, there's no space "inside" the wrap for the frost to form /accumulate ....

Ross - what are the specs on the vacuum bags?
typically they are a co-extrustion - LD poly "inside" to do the heat seal, and a HD poly / polyester outer layer so the outside doesn't melt during the heat/seal cycle.

I did R&D working with MVTR materials, ultrasonic / RF sealing plastic tops on containers, etc. - so I do have some experience in the technology.

edit to add: I don't lose stuff to freezer burn in freezer zip locks - but primarily because I don't keep it for 1-2 years in the freezer....

Last edited:
that's because given the space available, the moisture sublimes on the the surface of the meat/other instead of forming frost on the freezer wall.
in a frost free freezer/refrigerator - one never sees the frost on the wall....

if it is wrapped tight, there's no space "inside" the wrap for the frost to form /accumulate ....

Ross - what are the specs on the vacuum bags?
typically they are a co-extrustion - LD poly "inside" to do the heat seal, and a HD poly / polyester outer layer so the outside doesn't melt during the heat/seal cycle.

I did R&D working with MVTR materials, ultrasonic / RF sealing plastic tops on containers, etc. - so I do have some experience in the technology.

edit to add: I don't lose stuff to freezer burn in freezer zip locks - but primarily because I don't keep it for 1-2 years in the freezer....

I will just repeat my original comment. :)

Perhaps you are entirely correct.

All I can attest to is that for over 30 years I have vacuum packed most everything freezable and have never, even after a year, lost any item to freezer burn.

Ross

Back
Top Bottom