"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Sous-Vide Cooking
Click Here to Login

Old 05-13-2020, 02:49 PM   #1
Chef Extraordinaire

Opinions from Sous-Vide Cooks...

I'm just about to send for these, and I don't see anywhere on the site that says they are suitable for SV cooking. I really like the screw on plastic one piece lids.

Opinions please..?
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Ball-Regu...SABEgI3B_D_BwE

I'm also ordering 2 sets of shaker lids to be used for spices...I like that they are squaty and easy to stack.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Ball-Herb...Count/36029316

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2020, 03:03 PM   #2
Certified Pretend Chef

Sorry Kayelle. I have no experience with SV jars.
Old 05-13-2020, 03:16 PM   #3
Head Chef

That sounds incredibly expensive! The last batch of 64 oz mason jars I got (last summer some time) were only $16.95 for a half dozen!
Old 05-13-2020, 03:21 PM   #4
Head Chef

Kayelle
All the canning jars That I
buy come with the lids, In use
those in the Sous Vide and they
work great Do not leak.
Josie
Old 05-13-2020, 03:59 PM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepperhead212 View Post
That sounds incredibly expensive! The last batch of 64 oz mason jars I got (last summer some time) were only $16.95 for a half dozen!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josie1945 View Post
Kayelle

All the canning jars That I
buy come with the lids, In use
those in the Sous Vide and they
work great Do not leak.
Josie

Do they have one piece plastic screw on lids? Thanks in advance PH and Josie

Old 05-13-2020, 04:29 PM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

The jars (not the plastic lids) can be used for pressure cooking, so there's no reason they couldn't be used in sous vide.

The canning jars pepper and josie are talking about come with two-piece metal lids for canning. You can buy plastic lids separately, but it would be more expensive than what you're looking at. If you're not going to use the jars for canning, you don't need the canning lids.
Old 05-13-2020, 08:52 PM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
The jars (not the plastic lids) can be used for pressure cooking, so there's no reason they couldn't be used in sous vide.

The canning jars pepper and josie are talking about come with two-piece metal lids for canning. You can buy plastic lids separately, but it would be more expensive than what you're looking at. If you're not going to use the jars for canning, you don't need the canning lids.

Thanks for your feedback GG. I'm not interested in canning, but I sure am loving SV. Do you SV and if not, are you interested?

Old 05-13-2020, 11:59 PM   #8
Head Chef

It must be those lids they are charging so much for; I got the regular, 2 piece metal lids every time I've bought jars. I do have plastic lids, but not the type that seal - you have to put a regular lid on under them, to seal. I really don't know what their purpose was - some elderly lady gave them to me, along with a bunch of jars, when she moved out of her house.

On the topic of the one piece lids - though I've never seen the plastic ones, I had a bunch of metal ones, and I ended up throwing them away, one by one, and the reason was the lids would stick, and get incredibly hard to get off. I realized that the reason was that the seal would stick, much like the seals on the disks would stick, but with those, the rings come off easily, then the disks pry off easily. Not with the one piece ones! And this wasn't with jars used in canning - this was just using them for storing dry beans and the like, and not putting the lids on tight...so I thought. So if the one piece plastic lids have similar seals to the metal disks, beware.
Old 05-14-2020, 12:19 AM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:

That's probably true PH but they way I see it, $32 for 8 little jars with one piece plastic lids costs way less than my usual monthly pedicure and hair cut I haven't had in over two long months. I could be one of those "high maintence types", but I deserve those little jars...

Old 05-14-2020, 09:43 AM   #10
Head Chef

Kay, they are a lot less money on Amazon
https://www.amazon.com/Ball-Brand-Gl...52&sr=8-1&th=1

Also, reading the Q&A, some folks don't recommend them for sous vide because they don't consider them as leakproof. Not sure I trust Amazon Q&A, since we don't know reviewers expertise, just putting it out there. I belong to a sous vide group and everyone was making egg bites a couple years ago. I can ask there if someone has actual experience with the plastic lids.
Old 05-14-2020, 12:50 PM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
I really don't know what their purpose was - some elderly lady gave them to me, along with a bunch of jars, when she moved out of her house.
I use the plastic lids for refrigerator pickles; freezer jam; homemade barbecue sauce, mustard, etc.; leftovers, dry storage (beans, etc.) All kinds of things.
Old 05-14-2020, 02:58 PM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silversage View Post
Kay, they are a lot less money on Amazon
https://www.amazon.com/Ball-Brand-Gl...52&sr=8-1&th=1

Also, reading the Q&A, some folks don't recommend them for sous vide because they don't consider them as leakproof. Not sure I trust Amazon Q&A, since we don't know reviewers expertise, just putting it out there. I belong to a sous vide group and everyone was making egg bites a couple years ago. I can ask there if someone has actual experience with the plastic lids.

Holy cow..that's really a big savings SS. I'd really appreciate you asking for me! I don't want to ruin the first batch I make. Is the SV group on Facebook?

Old 05-14-2020, 03:05 PM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire

Here's a picture of the little jars with the shaker lids I ordered.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	shaker jars.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	28.7 KB
ID:	40962  

Old 05-14-2020, 04:03 PM   #14
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
Holy cow..that's really a big savings SS. I'd really appreciate you asking for me! I don't want to ruin the first batch I make. Is the SV group on Facebook?

Yes,https://www.facebook.com/groups/exploringsousvide

Jason Logsdon (the admin of the group) is the author of several popular sous vide cookbooks.
Old 05-14-2020, 04:07 PM   #15
Head Chef

I searched egg bites plastic top in the forum, and found someone said the plastic opened up in the water. It was suggested that they work if you put cling wrap over the top first, then screw on the lid.

GO to the page and search egg bites - there's a lot of info.
Old 05-14-2020, 04:09 PM   #16
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
Thanks for your feedback GG. I'm not interested in canning, but I sure am loving SV. Do you SV and if not, are you interested?
I don't have a sous vide circulator. I find it interesting and I enjoy reading about everyone's experiences with it. I don't have extra money for another kitchen gadget right now, though.
Old 05-14-2020, 10:04 PM   #17
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Yes,https://www.facebook.com/groups/exploringsousvide

Jason Logsdon (the admin of the group) is the author of several popular sous vide cookbooks.
Quote:
I searched egg bites plastic top in the forum, and found someone said the plastic opened up in the water. It was suggested that they work if you put cling wrap over the top first, then screw on the lid.

GO to the page and search egg bites - there's a lot of info.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
I don't have a sous vide circulator. I find it interesting and I enjoy reading about everyone's experiences with it. I don't have extra money for another kitchen gadget right now, though.

TSM for the info SS. I've chosen all these years to avoid FB, but I sure appreciate your feedback for me.
I understand with these hard times GG. You're company on this forum is welcome.

Tags
cook