"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > International Cuisines and Ethnic Cookery
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 04-12-2014, 02:40 PM   #21
Chief Eating Officer
 
GB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: USA,Massachusetts
Posts: 25,518
Thanks Andy. So ghee is browned clarified butter.
__________________
You know you can't resist clicking
this link. Your eyes will thank you. VISUAL BLISS
GB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 02:43 PM   #22
Head Chef
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 1,702
Quote:
Originally Posted by GB View Post
Thanks Andy. So ghee is browned clarified butter.
Well, yes and no. I'm off for a nap so perhaps Andy can clarify that.
cave76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 03:33 PM   #23
Head Chef
 
JMediger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 1,178
Quote:
Originally Posted by GB View Post
Thanks Andy. So ghee is browned clarified butter.
This is where I'm getting confused too GB. I've never tasted ghee ... does it taste like brown butter?

I never thought about straining it and keeping it because it's so easy to make BUT I have burnt my fair share of butter getting the right shade of brown so ...
JMediger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 04:58 PM   #24
Certified Pretend Chef
 
Andy M.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 47,721
I wouldn't say brown. The key seems to be that you continue to cook the butter until the crud on the bottom of the pan turns brown. By then it has imparted flavor to the butter fat which has turned a darker yellow. If you google images of ghee you'll see yellow, not brown.
__________________
"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." -Carl Sagan
Andy M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 05:16 PM   #25
Head Chef
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 1,702
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMediger View Post
This is where I'm getting confused too GB. I've never tasted ghee ... does it taste like brown butter?

I never thought about straining it and keeping it because it's so easy to make BUT I have burnt my fair share of butter getting the right shade of brown so ...
There's ghee and there's browned ghee. I haven't made browned ghee yet but yes, I think the taste would be somewhat like browned butter.

Ghee is unsalted butter melted down gently until the 'solids' drop down to the bottom of the pan. (What Andy aptly calls 'crud'.) What is left above is an almost clear, yellow 'liquid'. The liquid is then poured gently through a muslin cloth or fine strainer so that any 'bits' don't get through.

It will harden a bit. Then it can be kept at room temp or in the fridge to be used as an 'oil' that tastes like butter but doesn't burn as quickly as plain butter would in a pan if left on high or too long.

Browned ghee is the same as above only it's heated a little longer until the 'crud' at the bottom turns brown but DOES NOT BURN. (That's a critical time slot and has to be watched carefully at the end.)

For ordinary use-----just plain ghee is what you would probably want. It would be good for dipping lobster into also..... Or boiled new potatoes. Or.......

Here is a video that shows it being made in a pan. I always use my slow cooker because I don't have to watch it as closely.

cave76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 05:57 PM   #26
Sous Chef
 
Sprout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Usa, Michigan
Posts: 558
So, from reading the thread, this is what I'm gathering:
Clarified butter is any butter that has gone through the heating/straining process to remove the milk solids.
Browned butter is clarified butter that was heated to a higher temperature during clarifying until it took on a golden brown color and nutty smell.
Ghee is clarified butter that was heated past the temperatures necessary to simply clarify until the milk solids have begun to brown, but removed before reaching the depth of color (and flavor) of browned butter. Or, in other words, Ghee is somewhere between basic clarified butter and browned butter.

Andy, did I follow that correctly?
__________________
Always try to bring a spare set of clothing when you dream about going to work or school. That way, if you encounter someone having that dream where they show up in their underwear, you'll be their hero.
Sprout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 06:30 PM   #27
Certified Pretend Chef
 
Andy M.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 47,721
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprout View Post
So, from reading the thread, this is what I'm gathering:
Clarified butter is any butter that has gone through the heating/straining process to remove the milk solids.
Browned butter is clarified butter that was heated to a higher temperature during clarifying until it took on a golden brown color and nutty smell.
Ghee is clarified butter that was heated past the temperatures necessary to simply clarify until the milk solids have begun to brown, but removed before reaching the depth of color (and flavor) of browned butter. Or, in other words, Ghee is somewhere between basic clarified butter and browned butter.

Andy, did I follow that correctly?
It seems you have read and understood what I've been saying.
__________________
"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." -Carl Sagan
Andy M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 06:57 PM   #28
Head Chef
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 1,702
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprout View Post
So, from reading the thread, this is what I'm gathering:
Clarified butter is any butter that has gone through the heating/straining process to remove the milk solids.
Browned butter is clarified butter that was heated to a higher temperature during clarifying until it took on a golden brown color and nutty smell.
Ghee is clarified butter that was heated past the temperatures necessary to simply clarify until the milk solids have begun to brown, but removed before reaching the depth of color (and flavor) of browned butter. Or, in other words, Ghee is somewhere between basic clarified butter and browned butter.

Andy, did I follow that correctly?
And another bazinga!
cave76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 07:32 PM   #29
Chef Extraordinaire
 
taxlady's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: near Montreal, Quebec
Posts: 25,436
Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Ghee is supposed to be cooked for a long time. I think that not only caramelizes, I think it drives off more water.
__________________
May you live as long as you wish and love as long as you live.
Robert A. Heinlein
taxlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 06:45 AM   #30
Assistant Cook
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Perth
Posts: 22
Smile Clarified butter for shortening substitute (melting chocolate)?

Can clarified butter be used as shortening to make melted chocolate smoother and easier to spread? I have a tight budget so buying a block of Copha/Lard when I only need a bit for one cake doesn't really seem worth all that money.

So can it be used as shortening for chocolate without causing the chocolate to seize or not set?

Also I think I saw a post/s saying that brown clarified butter tastes like (hazel?)nuts and was wondering how to tell when the brown clarified butter won't taste too strongly of nuts.

I'm going to make a orange cake drizzled with white chocolate for a special birthday and if I can get the white chocolate to have a slightly nutty taste, that'd be a bonus.
Kirsten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 07:53 AM   #31
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Addie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: East Boston, MA
Posts: 22,365
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirsten View Post
Can clarified butter be used as shortening to make melted chocolate smoother and easier to spread? I have a tight budget so buying a block of Copha/Lard when I only need a bit for one cake doesn't really seem worth all that money.

So can it be used as shortening for chocolate without causing the chocolate to seize or not set?

Also I think I saw a post/s saying that brown clarified butter tastes like (hazel?)nuts and was wondering how to tell when the brown clarified butter won't taste too strongly of nuts.

I'm going to make a orange cake drizzled with white chocolate for a special birthday and if I can get the white chocolate to have a slightly nutty taste, that'd be a bonus.
Welcome to DC Kirsten. This is a fun place to be and full of very useful information as you can see on this subject.
__________________
Illegitimi non carborundum!
I don't want my last words to be, "I wish I had spent more time doing housework"
Addie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 08:02 AM   #32
Assistant Cook
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Perth
Posts: 22
What would you use if you didn't have a ladel?
Kirsten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 08:08 AM   #33
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Addie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: East Boston, MA
Posts: 22,365
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirsten View Post
What would you use if you didn't have a ladel?
What are you needing a ladle for? You could pour the product into a container that has a lip meant for pouring.
__________________
Illegitimi non carborundum!
I don't want my last words to be, "I wish I had spent more time doing housework"
Addie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 08:11 AM   #34
Assistant Cook
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Perth
Posts: 22
So a gravy jug (~100ml) will do fine? I've watched a few videos and they all used ladels so I thought that it was the best option.
Kirsten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 08:16 AM   #35
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Addie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: East Boston, MA
Posts: 22,365
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirsten View Post
So a gravy jug (~100ml) will do fine? I've watched a few videos and they all used ladels so I thought that it was the best option.
Sounds perfect as a substitute. Even a large milk pitcher with a pouring lip on it will do just fine.
__________________
Illegitimi non carborundum!
I don't want my last words to be, "I wish I had spent more time doing housework"
Addie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 08:22 AM   #36
Assistant Cook
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Perth
Posts: 22
Do you know if clarified butter will make melted chocolate seize or prevent it from setting? Since I can't have the chocolate inside the cake I want to drizzle it on top and I wish to get a bit artistic with it, swirls, lines and the like.
Kirsten is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
butter

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:44 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.