Cheese - what's best for baked mac and cheese?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I bought myself GoodWeed's cookbooks for Christmas, and it was money well spent.

Weed, I know mac and cheese is supposed to be smooth, but my MIL's m&c with the stringy cheese was delicious. I think she probably put an egg or two in it as well, because she scooped it out with a spatula, and it kept it's shape.

I use extra sharp cheddar , sometimes with extra cheese like Emmathaler, or Gruyere. sometimes I make the sauce and sometimes I don't , it depends what I am in the mood for .

when making my macaroni and cheese i use sharp cheddar, white cheddar and cream cheese. all three cheeses together. creamy and delicious. :):)

2 parts Sharp Cheddar to 1 part Gruyere, with some Parmigiano-Reggiano thrown in.

I don't think it's possible to choose a "best cheese" for mac & cheese because, like all things "cooking", it's very much up to personal preference re: taste & texture.

I've used everything from Velveeta thru good aged Cheddar, Gorgonzola, Parmesan - pretty much anything/everything I might have on hand. Combos of several cheeses are probably my favorite, but sometimes nothing beats a good crusty-topped cheddar & egg noodle bake (especially if it includes bits of smoked turkey or turkey ham!!).

What in your humble opinion is the best cheese to use when making baked macaroni and cheese, we do not like the cheese sauces people make their mac and cheese with. Can any body help me? :brows:

Hi Goodgiver,

IMHO, a good Mac and cheese depends upon a well flaovoured Bechamel sauce flavoured with:

* Emmenthal and gruyere
* Emmenthal and freshly grated parmesan
* Gruyere and freshly grated parmesan
* a good quality Cheddar and freshly grated parmesan.

The cheeses need to be added to the sauce AFTER if has thickened and taken off the heat. Cheese is a cooked product and only needs to be melted to be incorporated into the sauce, prior to use.

For each 50g/2 oz dried weight of macaroni (cooked and very well drained) use a cheese sauce made from 250mls10fl oz milk, 12.5 gms each of butter and flour, plus seasonings. Remember, that as the pasta bakes with the sauce it will absorb more liquid. Consequently, the mixture may look thin when placing into a dish to bake but will thicken up on baking.

Let me know if you would like a detailed recipe.

All the best,

Archiduc

Back
Top Bottom