Olive Cheese Melts Recipe

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dragnlaw

Site Team
Staff member
Olive Cheese Melts

1 cup black olives, chopped (or a mix of green & black)
1/3 cup scallions, chopped (aka green onions)
1+1/2 cups shredded Cheddar Cheese
1/2 tsp curry powder
1/2 cup mayonnaise
8 English Muffins, split
note:- many recipes call for 1/2 tsp salt, but I do NOT add

1. In a medium-size bowl, combine olives, scallions, Cheddar Cheese, curry powder, mayonnaise. Mix well.
2. Spread mixture on English muffin halves. Cut muffin halves into fourths.

Note: If you want to freeze these, now is the time! Arrange pieces in a single layer on a cookie sheet. Freeze, when frozen put loose into a zip bag. (I often put 8 pcs into sandwich bags. very convenient when a friend pops over for an instant snack. You can grab as many as you'd like)

Bake: Preheat oven to 400 F (200 C) and bake for 10 minutes. The time is the same frozen or not. (but oven vary so keep an eye on them the first time)

Personal notes:
Have found that sometimes the "price friendly" English muffins do not always 'split' equally. Therefore have been buying higher priced muffins and use a knife to split in two. This way you will more likely end up having better equalized pieces.

Thank you for posting that. They sound great, and like Ginny, the ingredients are stuff that I'm likely to have at home. They do sound good. So, is it better to have the "cut" side of the English muffin smooth or craggy? I usually separate the two halves with a fork. With two forks, back to back, when I made the muffins.

Works great on a split loaf of French bread or any leftover bread and rolls.

1704163236913.jpeg

The last time I made them I ate some of the muffins that came in a package of only 6. So I ate 2 with the intention of soon going to the store to get more. Made up the 4 and froze them. When the store didn't happen as quickly as I though it would, the balance was in an airtight in the fridge for several days before I got more and made the last ones.
So all this to say - Go ahead and make up your mixture. It will keep for several days in the fridge before assembly.
My toaster oven only takes minutes to heat up - I can have a hot snack in about 15 minutes. That's counting turning on the oven, trip to the freezer, placing on oven tray and baking. :whistling :devilish: ;)

Hm, I like olives, I like cheddar, I like mayo, curry and onions. Literally nothing not to like here! And since nobody else I know likes olives, I can make a batch just for myself and freeze to use whenever I fancy a snack!

What sort of olives do you use Dragn? Are they in olive oil or brine?

Ahhh Katy me girl - the sort that come out of a can. :whistling

sorry, but it's true. I'm assuming they're brined - honestly never thought about it. They are not oil, but not particularly salty, maybe a bit? It is a very drinkable liquid though :ermm:. The black ones are not super salty like green olives. But you can use a mx of both or just one.

Thanks for bumping this thread Katy.

I'm just wondering about other things that could be added. DH doesn't mind a bit of olive in stuff, but he isn't really a fan of olives. I figure I can cut back some on the olives by substituting capers. Any other suggestions, but not tomato or avocado?

That sounds funny... Olive Melts, yeah sounds right but guess it's because that's how I learned them. But Caper Melts???? If you try it taxy, please, let us know if it is a success!

That sounds funny... Olive Melts, yeah sounds right but guess it's because that's how I learned them. But Caper Melts???? If you try it taxy, please, let us know if it is a success!
I wasn't planning on leaving out the olives completely. I just want to "thin them out" with other stuff.

Ahhh Katy me girl - the sort that come out of a can. :whistling

sorry, but it's true. I'm assuming they're brined - honestly never thought about it. They are not oil, but not particularly salty, maybe a bit? It is a very drinkable liquid though :ermm:. The black ones are not super salty like green olives. But you can use a mx of both or just one.
LOL! Okay then, whichever olives I happen to find/like at Sainsburys then!! ;):ROFLMAO:

Thanks for bumping this thread Katy.

I'm just wondering about other things that could be added. DH doesn't mind a bit of olive in stuff, but he isn't really a fan of olives. I figure I can cut back some on the olives by substituting capers. Any other suggestions, but not tomato or avocado?
Some olives are pretty strong to be fair. I prefer a more mild variety myself - don't mind if they are black or green though. A few capers certainly wouldn't harm this I am sure! Might even add a few to mine actually.

I did once add green olives along with the black. It was OK, but if you are going to add capers, just remember both green olives and capers will be very salty.

If you are using just black olives then the capers should be fine.

Did you note when I mentioned that a lot of recipes on the 'net included 1/2 tsp salt? After the first time making them I omitted the salt altogether and found it perfect that way.

I believe I also used a 'medium' cheddar which would also make a difference compared to an 'old' cheddar.

I did indeed note the comment about salt Dragn! I am very cautious about adding salt to anything that already has salt in it, so no issue there for me! ;-)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom