Pecan Smoked Back Ribs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lee Vining

Senior Cook
We were recently camped in an area in Calif called Spangler.

An old mining town that dates back well over a century still is inhabited. It's bar and restaurant are a major destination by off road enthusiasts and highway travelers from all over the world.

The little bar in town called the Joint has a Thursday night Pot Luck that the locals participate in and all are invited.

vuu0zkg.jpg

We bring in slow smoked back ribs.
I use just a few small chunks of pecan and a chunk of cherry in the process. Kingsford slow burn charcoal is essential in the smaller reverse flow smokers.

sprQzrM.jpg

Then sauced and 4 hours in the casserole crock pot:

YKaqqtC.jpg

European travelers that stop in are a bit hesitant at first to try the ribs. It has to be mentioned to them the pink color of the ribs is not from undercooking, it's from the smoke. They've got over 6 hours of cooking at 225F. Pork is a white meat so the smoke "ring" is a strong contrast.

Sensational reaction.

My sauce is a mix of Heinz ketchup, A1, dry mustard, real sugar, brown sugar, a dash of liquid smoke and other seasonings. A tablespoon of anchovy paste is essential and I never, ever use corn sweeteners.
Corn sweeteners like Karo foul the aroma, taste and make the sauce sticky. I like it creamy.

Packing it up and rolling across the desert to the Pot Luck:
gdm23bT.jpg

Their is a County Fire Station close by that has to be the loneliest in the world.
We drop off several sides of ribs to them too.- And a quart of my wifes chili.

I use pecan quite a bit. My wife brought back a large amount from a trip to Mississippi several years ago. I most often use it when smoking in my Horizon pit. I like the flavor it gives to our homemade andouille and tasso. I only use the Horizon these days when I have a full load, otherwise I use the Egg for most of my cooks.

Craig

That looks mighty tasty Lee Vining! Glad to see you got the hang of the pictures. Do better than I, always have a terrible time.

and BTW, Welcome to DC! I can see what your favourites obviously are. :LOL:

I use pecan quite a bit. My wife brought back a large amount from a trip to Mississippi several years ago. I most often use it when smoking in my Horizon pit. I like the flavor it gives to our homemade andouille and tasso. I only use the Horizon these days when I have a full load, otherwise I use the Egg for most of my cooks.

Craig

I found I was over-smoking my ribs and cut way back on the wood to where just a faint amount of smoke exited the smoker.
Meat tasted sweeter with barely a hint of smoke and looked better too.
Every time I smoke ribs or any meat I learn something new.

I will sometimes throw a Maui sweet onion in there to enhance it only to tease the neighbors as the aroma drifts their way.

That looks mighty tasty Lee Vining! Glad to see you got the hang of the pictures. Do better than I, always have a terrible time.

and BTW, Welcome to DC! I can see what your favourites obviously are. :LOL:

In my case its a process of iphone to imgur to the forum. A bit tricky but in this Vbulletin forum format the pix flow nicely. Still the best format.
I can directly upload from iphone, but it's goofy getting the text dialed in and a dozen edits soon follow.

In my case its a process of iphone to imgur to the forum. A bit tricky but in this Vbulletin forum format the pix flow nicely. Still the best format.
I can directly upload from iphone, but it's goofy getting the text dialed in and a dozen edits soon follow.

Yes, I only use the forum's 'attach files' - it is faster but you cannot make comments between. You also have to remember - either landscape or portrait (which I never can).

I find using other apps too complicated without loading all my pictures into even another place.
I'm still slowly retrieving pics from another app that no longer supports.

For a long time 3 sides of back ribs, I'm talking meaty with little fat, went for about $24 to $28 at COSTCO.
I believe that's when China boycotted American pork and corn prices were low as well.

Now it's about $38 - $42 for the same thing. Either farmers adjusted or exports resumed.

But,, doesn't cost me anything because people buy me drinks or drink tokens for a later date. They also tip the single mom bartenders more I'm told.
I end up net $$ ahead and get to do what I love, smokin' & cooking.

But recently, no kidding on the level: A huge, mega gathering of firefighters met in the desert for their annual off road ride gathering.
Run what ya brung. Jeeps, ATV's Razors, you name it.

They rolled into town and the hamburger place was closed. So,, they went to work on the ribs next door at the bar.
They tossed $20 bills into our vehicle as a thank you.
Not expected, I prefer they didn't because this is really on me - but it was really cool.

So the next few batches of ribs are pre-paid and sitting in our chest freezer waiting on the next trip.

In a pinch and O-brother is the price ever right. I discovered Heinz Memphis BBQ sauce.
gkzhboemmvwpggxnhrxk.jpg

Usually about $1.70 to $1.90 and it's sold out off the grocery shelf for a reason.
It's amazing.

I fell in love with Miron Mixon's (Jack's Old South) "cupcake chicken thighs", from his book "Smokin with Miron Mixon' ". He is one self opinionated !*#, but the man knows his "Q"!

Yes, I only use the forum's 'attach files' - it is faster but you cannot make comments between. You also have to remember - either landscape or portrait (which I never can).

I find using other apps too complicated without loading all my pictures into even another place.

This forums v-bulletin software is long overdue for replacement.
I moderate a forum where we had this software. I am so happy it no longer exists.
The new format makes sharing pictures so easy. Right click on "Copy". Right click "Paste". Directly drop photos into the forum "Reply" field.
PM's have all the options posting does as well.
I am certain there would be blow back here as change "Especially for us older folks" is difficult.
But we are using prehistoric software here and I for one hope that changes sooner than later. It will happen. When is the question.

This forums v-bulletin software is long overdue for replacement.
I moderate a forum where we had this software. I am so happy it no longer exists.
The new format makes sharing pictures so easy. Right click on "Copy". Right click "Paste". Directly drop photos into the forum "Reply" field.
PM's have all the options posting does as well.
I am certain there would be blow back here as change "Especially for us older folks" is difficult.
But we are using prehistoric software here and I for one hope that changes sooner than later. It will happen. When is the question.

That's true.
Posting a pic thru attachments is a bit tricky.

The "thanks" feature is too over the top. I feel like I'm composing a thank you note from a wedding.
A "like" would give more activity and be more to the point.

But to get back on the subject:
I was asked at the last minute to brew up a batch of ribs for friends while camped in the desert.
No smoker with me so I grilled them over the campfire then set them in the crockpot.
WOW did they come out good.

I learned from this experience that in the past I had been over-smoking them in the smoker.
Now just a light puff of smoke. Barely any.

I also got a tip about Tri Tip smoking before marinating.
You'd think it wouldn't work, but it works amazing. It's the way to roll.

Slice your uncooked tri tip against the grain. 1/4" thick slices.
Submerge in water for an hour rinsing once then 15 more minutes.
Drain and lightly smoke with pecan wood in vegetable baskets for about 20 minutes at 225F.
Wait for the baskets to go on sale after July 4th otherwise too expensive.
You can find the vegetable baskets in the Walmart bbq section.
fca50450-04e7-4755-be14-41f88c1ada24_1.9eb55fec8ec4d8c321642feccb5d782b.jpeg

Then into the crockpot and submerge with Kikomans Green label. Nothing else, essential you use this:
61zVJaCY%2BmL._AC_UL160_.jpg

Then cook on low for a few hours.
%#@!!*&%!! it's soooo good.

Serve over Cal Rose white rice. No other rice will do. Cal Rose or nothin'.

This particular Kikkoman is rarely located in the Asian foods section of your grocer.
You usually find it near the BBQ sauces.

Last edited:

Don't use "Attach Files". Use the paper clip to upload pix. Then go to text window. Add comment then go to paper clip click photo you want.
Add next comment go to paper clip choose next pic.
Repeat till done.

Use Preview Post to make sure it's how you want it. then hit Submit Reoky when you got what you want.

Don't use "Attach Files". Use the paper clip to upload pix. Then go to text window. Add comment then go to paper clip click photo you want.
Add next comment go to paper clip choose next pic.
Repeat till done.

Use Preview Post to make sure it's how you want it. then hit Submit Reoky when you got what you want.

Someone should post those instructions in one of the "sticky" threads in the forum: Forum Admin: Tech Support & Announcements

I have tried, but I was doing it from memory of a post with the instructions, and it didn't work for me. I couldn't find the post again to see what I was doing wrong.

BTW, I don't see any "attach files". But, when I hover my cursor over the paper clip, I see the word "Attachments". I am using my 'puter. I'm not sure what it says in the app.

Someone should post those instructions in one of the "sticky" threads in the forum: Forum Admin: Tech Support & Announcements

I have tried, but I was doing it from memory of a post with the instructions, and it didn't work for me. I couldn't find the post again to see what I was doing wrong.

BTW, I don't see any "attach files". But, when I hover my cursor over the paper clip, I see the word "Attachments". I am using my 'puter. I'm not sure what it says in the app.
I think I did post these instructions with pictures/screen shots. Not sure where.

What are they?
Ya mean the old hippie term for Ganga?
Not me.

They are usually a tube of breakfast sausage, rolled out and stuffed, wrapped in bacon then smoked. The last one I made was bulk andouille sausage with a layer of boudin, stuffed with trinity and cheese, then wrapped in a bacon lattice. I called it a Cajun Hog Log.

36788-albums1032-picture7150.jpg

36788-albums1032-picture7151.jpg

Last edited:
They are usually a tube of breakfast sausage, rolled out and stuffed, wrapped in bacon then smoked. The last one I made was bulk andouille sausage with a layer of boudin, stuffed with trinity and cheese, then wrapped in a bacon lattice. I called it a Cajun Hog Log.

36788-albums1032-picture7150.jpg

36788-albums1032-picture7151.jpg

Now THATS a meatloaf.

Back
Top Bottom