Advice on a reasonably priced knife

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gumbotc

Assistant Cook
I can't afford any fo these really special knives that are discussed here but I would like to find a good knife for around $70. Any suggestions? I am currently using chicago cutlery knives that have served me well for thirty years.

Take a few minutes to browse through the earlier threads in this Knives forum. There are some discussions of very good knives well within your price range.

My first 'good' knives were Chicago Cutlery. They served me well also. I still take a couple with me on vacation to our timeshare.

Thanks Andy. I have been looking at the threads and There is some good discussions. I will note some of the brands and do some research on the costs. Thanks again.

Tojiro dp for sure. i paid around 70$ (with shipping) and i love it.
best buy for your money for sure.
check it out at korin.

also 70 is for the 9 inch blade and 8 inch if cheaper
here is a link

Last edited:
I can't afford any fo these really special knives that are discussed here but I would like to find a good knife for around $70. Any suggestions? I am currently using chicago cutlery knives that have served me well for thirty years.

What kind of knife, ie. chef's, slicing, boning, paring?????

Tojiro dp for sure. i paid around 70$ (with shipping) and i love it.
best buy for your money for sure.
check it out at korin.

also 70 is for the 9 inch blade and 8 inch if cheaper
here is a link

If your budget includes the Tojiro it's definately a superb choice (I have the 240mm gyuto shown). For a bit less you can get the 210mm/8.25" version, and some people prefer the shorter knife.

I recently bought a 210mm Kanetsune gyuto from Smokey Mountain Knifeworks. It's a nice Damascus-clad VG-10 knife. Right now they're on sale for $59.95 with free shipping. I've used it at work for the last week and am pretty impressed so far, especially for such an inexpensive knife.

I have had great experiences with Russell Knives. They are made in the USA and have a huge line of kitchen knives with several different grades. I own the Chinese Chef's cleaver $35.00, and the Japanese style large cutting Knife ($60.00) and small cutting knife ($35.00).

The quality of the steel is great. They may not have the same level of finish as the ultra expensive German knives, but they are great knives for the money. A knife vendor here in Dallas told me that Russell Knives are the favorite of local restaraunt chefs.

If you had a knife set for 30 years and you were happy with it then I would try and find that set again. Knives are a hard thing to ask advise about because everyone seems to like a different knife for different reasons. It is hard to find a knife that I can hold, that is well balanced for me and stays sharp and find the same for my wife. We hav different tasted in knives. Stick to what you know is good and if you can not afford a set then buy them one at a time. I do not usually like sets because I will not use more than half of them ever.

I suspect your 30+ year old Chicago Cutlery are of a better quality than the stuff sold by Chicago Cutlery today. Before spending the bucks on new knives you might want to get a copy of Spydercos' Sal Glesser DVD on knife sharpening. While it's a sales- pitch for their 'Tri-angle Sharpmaker' it provides info that should be helpful to those interested in purchasing and maintaining knives.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom