Breading fish question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dragnlaw

Site Team
Staff member
this quote from another thread - here so as to not divert the thread too much.. dinner menu Fri May 3
I had almond crusted Pacific whiting, Mexican yellow rice (which is not to be confused with Canadian yellow snow. You're not supposed to eat that!), Cajun coleslaw and a 2021 Mairena Ocasión Sauvignon Blanc.
Sir LOB was the fish pre-coated? If you coated yourself, what do you use? Almonds really finely ground? or a crush more like a Panko.

I've never used nuts for coating fish, only bread crumbs, either fine or panko. I think I would like it with almonds. Or maybe even another type of nut?

Take a look at a few recipes for Chinese almond crusted fried chicken.

It’s great when done correctly.

Like so many recipes, every Chinese restaurant offers a slightly different version with different results.

I bread with the time tested flour - egg - bread crumbs.
I do not use any cornmeal and it is quite popular here in the deep south. For fish I use plain bread crumbs. For shrimp I use panko.
I use panko more than anything else. I made some very thin pork loin cutlets the other day breaded with panko. They came out great. Great sandwiches too.

Sir LOB was the fish pre-coated? If you coated yourself, what do you use? Almonds really finely ground? or a crush more like a Panko.

I've never used nuts for coating fish, only bread crumbs, either fine or panko. I think I would like it with almonds. Or maybe even another type of nut?
No, the fish was not precoated. I did it my own self. One pie tin with seasoned flour, one with egg wash, and one with a mixture of crushed almonds (I put them in a plastic bag and smashed the shit out of them with Maxwell's silver hammer!) and parmigiano reggiano. Drege them in the flour, drag them through the egg wash, and roll them in the almond mixture. Because I just changed the oil in my deep fryer, I baked them on two sheet pans @ 400F for 15 minutes. I didn't want to fish the oil all up because my deep fryer holds close to 1/2 gallon of oil.

Last edited:
BTW, this is Maxwell's silver hammer:
1714854909470.png

I may laugh and joke, but I don't mess around!

When we did our cooking contests, one of my entrees used almonds in the coating. I had various-sized almond pieces ranging from dust to little chunks. It was very tasty!
What an impressive and awe inspiring thread! I've always wanted to do a 7 (or more) course meal - but I get too carried away and bury myself in overload.
Wow, there is a lot going on in that recipe.

The use of cocoa in the breading is particularly interesting.
total agreement there!
No, the fish was not precoated. I did it my own self. One pie tin with seasoned flour, one with egg wash, and one with a mixture of crushed almonds (I put them in a plastic bag and smashed the shit out of them with Maxwell's silver hammer!) and parmigiano reggiano. Drege them in the flour, drag them through the egg wash, and roll them in the almond mixture. Because I just changed the oil in my deep fryer, I baked them on two sheet pans @ 400F for 15 minutes. I didn't want to fish the oil all up because my deep fryer holds close to 1/2 gallon of oil.
Good to know and I like the oven bake as deep frying is not my thing.

I bread with the time tested flour - egg - bread crumbs.
I do not use any cornmeal and it is quite popular here in the deep south. For fish I use plain bread crumbs. For shrimp I use panko.
I use panko more than anything else. I made some very thin pork loin cutlets the other day breaded with panko. They came out great. Great sandwiches too.

I use a blend of AP flour and cornmeal on my fried catfish. That, or Louisiana Brand Fish Fry -already mixed and seasoned of a Nnice crunch and flavor.

1714935842016.jpeg

CD

I should try with corn meal for cat fish. Thanks for the tip casey. It's not always available here and when it is it's often pre-seasoned. I won't buy pre-seasoned as I'm always afraid it will be too salty.
Haven't had for awhile, should start looking harder.

If you want to use a different type of nut, feel free to experiment with various options. Walnuts, cashews, hazelnuts, or pecans - they can all add a unique flavor and texture to your dish.

Bought a huge bag of Almonds at Costco and when I got home found I had gotten salted ones. Arghh!. But!... I've found that I can give them a good rub with a terry cloth and a significant amount of salt is removed. Whew!
Bought pistachio's too but at least I knew they were salted. that's fine but now, having discovering the terry cloth routine - I use it with them too. :)

Back
Top Bottom