Brining questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I brine all the time too, chicken, chops, and at Thanksgiving a turkey using Alton Brown's recipe. It is exceptional. Go to Foodtv.com and look up Alton Brown's Good Eats Roast Turkey. I'm having trouble getting the link up here.

There are times when buttermilk is a GREAT brine.

I have become a fan of brining with apple juice versus water (for those things that apply anyway). My Thanksgiving turkey is GREAT brined this way and then smoked.

One thing to remember though. Look at the packaging of your turkey, chicken, whatever. If it mentions a saline solution, or a salt solution (could say 4% solution - whatever) it means that your product has basically been injected with a brine. You have two options - don't brine or the brine you do use you MUST make sure there is more salt in it than the product. Several have talked about the "transfer" of salt. If the brine solution has less salt than the product you are cooking the transfer will take place from product to water thus REMOVING salt from what you are cooking. That's happened and it wasn't fun eating a dried out turkey that I took the time and money to brine. I just didn't add enough salt to the brine. The next year was MUCH better!!

Just rinse well whatever it is you are cooking before actually cooking.

havsumtea said:
How does one brine meats?

Some of the earlier posts in this thread offer brining instructions and recipes. It's well worth doing for pork and poultry.

I use a 1 qt water : 2 T salt ratio. Lately, I've been bringing chicken, pork chops, and some meats that get smoked. I've had VERY good results with cooking, but then, I also pay close attention to my grill temperature, and the temperature of the meat I'm cooking. My chicken breasts (huge 1 lb. bone-in skin-on half-breast monstrosities) come out perfectly cooked, beautifully browned, and an instant addition to the endangered species list, as fast as they dissappear.

I have brined pork butt before smoking it, and found that you can't really tell a difference, because of all the marbling that naturally occurs in that cut.

Here's how I brine 5 lbs. of chicken leg-and-thing quarters:

Take one cup of water, and bring it to a boil. While it's heating, add 2 T salt, some garlic, thyme, rosemary, sage, and black pepper. Once it hits a boil, remove from the heat and let it steep for a few minutes. Fill a 4 c measuring cup with ice and water to 3 c. After the brine has steeped for 10 minutes, pour the brine into the ice water to dilute to the proper salinity. Pour the brine into a water-proof, non-reactive container and add the chicken. Stir the chicken to thoroughly coat with the brine. Let the chicken brine for an hour or two. Remove from the brine, and pat dry with a paper towel, leaving the herbs on the chicken. Grill or roast until done.

Back
Top Bottom