I am old but I can’t cook (yet)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Puki

Assistant Cook
I am learning. As much as there is available in books and online, I still have some questions. I’ve been reading this forum and they all seem to know what they’re talking about and don’t seem to mind the questions.

So there it is.

I have also bought way, way too many cookbooks. Nobody needs this many.

Cooking is fun and it doesn't have to be complicated :)

Practice is what makes you better at it, so let's start to experiment... and if you have questions, ask away :)

Welcome to Discuss Cooking Puki. Yes, we are happy to answer questions here. As cookewewill wrote, practice is what makes you better at it. But, it doesn't hurt to know the correct techniques, like good knife skills. Some of that is easy to pick up by watching short videos.

Welcome to DC. We all started knowing little or nothing about cooking. Keep reading, asking questions and practising.

Welcome to DC. We all started knowing little or nothing about cooking. Keep reading, asking questions and practising.

Ha! I was born knowing everything about everything. ;) Nut seriously, And is right. We all started by either observing someone cook, by being curious, hungry, and experimenting, or if we were lucky, being taught by others, usually some of each. You will find that for the most part, cooking is easier than it looks. You will begin to understand how heat, and different cooking techniques affect the food you prepare. Ask all the questions you want. There are many on this site who know how to cook, prepare all kinds of foods. There are usually several ways to prepare a recipe, so when answers come, just choose he one you like best, or, try several. Just make it a pleasant adventure, not a chore.

Seeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Thank you all.

Some things I make are the greatest thing I ever tasted. Some aren’t.

But it is coming along. I am. I think. :)

Welcome from Sri Lanka, a small island at the end of the world.
Your post title reminds me of James May's cookery show. He starts, "Hi, I am James May, and I can't cook. Welcome to my cookery show."

Turn on PBS in your local market and watch cooking shows.
Usually on Fri. and Sat. They have shows on all day. Best to record then watch later commercial free.
These shows can help you with how. Places like this can help you with what.

I learned all the basics on cooking TV all the way back to Julia and Jeff Smith (Frugal Gourmet). Also "Galloping Gourmet". I am still learning from TV today.
I started early in my life maybe 8-9 years old.

Anyone can prepare basic recipes successfully, as long as they are willing to read and follow directions. As a retired technical writer, I know how hard that is for some people to do!

Welcome. We've all had our hits and misses. Just the other day I wasn't paying attention to my pan while reducing balsamic vinegar, and sure enough, I wound up with a smelly sticky mess that almost cost me a new pan. We all learn from and teach each other new things. Thats the benefit of a forum such as this.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom