I Need Help Dealing with a Cooking Side Effect

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hello, my name is Andy M. and I'm a slob.

When I cook, everything gets dirty. Counters, floors, stove, walls, ceilings, windows and clothing. It's the clothing that's the issue.

Men it seems, are as untidy in the kitchen as boys. When cooking you should clean as you go. In theory, anyway. :LOL:

As for your clothes, wear an apron. Like one with the words, "Licenced to Grill". Truthfully, an apron saves trashing your clothes with ketchup, meat juices from over enthusiam of flipping minute steaks, and emulating your fave TV chef but failing miserably because the last crepe stuck to the ceiling.

Employ a home help. If you have a partner, they will be eternally grateful and you'll enjoy trashing said kitchen all the more because you can stay set in your delighful ways, Andy. And, you will save your partner from an early grave clearing up after you. ;)

Jill

I have learned 2 things about cooking. One is to wear an apron, if I am wearing clothes that I would like to wear in public again.

The second thing is to use all that 'down time'. When you are browning meat, waiting for water to boil or something to cool or something to bake, that is your opportunity to wipe down the counter, put things in the dishwasher or return items to the fridge. When you are done with a pot or bowl or utensil, immediately put it in the sink and run water in it. Swish it out, rub a scrubbie over it, and put it in the dishwasher.

Maybe I have learned 3 things--I CANNOT cook in a dirty, cluttered kitchen. Before I start, all dirty dishes go in the dishwasher, all counters and stove are wiped, clean dishes in the drainer or dishwasher are put away, and the sink is emptied.

When I get done cooking, there is very little cleanup left to do.

Oh, dear, I sound very smug. It took me a long time to learn this--when I was a new cook, my kitchen was a disaster, and it stayed that way. But I am basically very lazy, and the last thing I want to do after a nice dinner is clean the kitchen. I do it a little at a time.

I have learned, too, how to NOT make a mess. Pay attention, so you don't scorch things onto the bottoms of pans. Watch the heat so things don't spatter, and use a spatter shield. Use a bag to flour your chicken or beef cubes, instead of flinging flour all over the counter (talking to you, Mom!). Rinse the cutting board quickly after chopping veggies so bits don't dry onto the surface. Floury messes, like your bread bowl, will rinse clean if you let them soak in cold water for a while.

I guess I did a really poor job of conveying the correct impression. While I admitted in my original post that I am sloppy, I did say the laundry was the issue.

I do clean as I go but, for obvious reasons, that does not include the shirt I'm wearing.

As I'm cooking dinner, I wipe counters, rinse, and put into the DW any piece of kitchenware that is done for the day or rinse and set aside stuff for hand washing later.

When I'm finished cooking, the only things that still need attention are the stovetop, the pots and pans that have food in them and the utensils used to move the food to serving dishes or dinner plates. That's not the problem. I can and do clean all that stuff.

I also mentioned that I don't remember to wear an apron. But thanks for the suggestion to wear an apron.

I don't appreciate being categorized as sloppy simply because I'm a man.

I'm all set on the laundry front. Alix's suggestion worked well.

Thanks again to Alix and all who offered their helpful hints.

As I'm cooking dinner, I wipe counters, rinse, and put into the DW any piece of kitchenware that is done for the day or rinse and set aside stuff for hand washing later.

That is nice to know, though your original post contradicted that, may I respectfully say.

When I'm finished cooking, the only things that still need attention are the stovetop, the pots and pans that have food in them and the utensils used to move the food to serving dishes or dinner plates. That's not the problem. I can and do clean all that stuff.

Jolly good, then. :)

I don't appreciate being categorized as sloppy simply because I'm a man.

Tough. It is a known fact in my family that most guys are sloppy in the kitchen and get right royally ragged by us girls, though I am sure you're well on the way to owning an apron emblazoned with "Licenced to Grill."

... It is a known fact in my family that most guys are sloppy in the kitchen and get right royally ragged by us girls...

A sad situation for your family but not applicable worldwide.

While I did mention I am a slob and a messy cook, I also stated that I am totally responsible for cleaning the kitchen and all the cookware in it regardless of who made the mess.

Back
Top Bottom