ISO opinions about "Impromptu Gourmet"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well, mom & dad have finished all the entrees; just have the sides left which, now that dad is back home, they'll use to accompany regular meat dishes.

They both said the quality of everything was excellent. Only caveat was that everything did take up a lot of space in the freezer, so one has to be ready for that.

Velochic - we do have "Meals On Wheels" here in the U.S., but it's really just for true shut-ins, not for what my parents were going thru. And the food provided by "Meals On Wheels" is pretty basic stuff, nothing like what Impromptu Gourmet offers. I wanted something special for my mom - not like cafeteria/hospital food.

Breezy - I bet it really makes you feel good to know your Mom and Dad ate well - and especially ate at ALL!!!!!!!!!!! While I am not a Schwan's fan if I ever need a food service for a medical reason like this I will keep what you used in mind.

Sometimes you just want what you want & can't get it locally, or it's just not up to par. This is one I have been thinking about, but have not tried, yet:

NewYorkFirst.com: Yonah Schimmel Knishes

There are some okay delis here, but some, not-so-hotso. So, there's another I may try from a New York Deli for pastrami etc. - also for the convenience of having it delivered. Katz's is the one I had in mind, that may ship and deliver. You can probably google a link.

Exactly Kitchenelf - that's all I was trying to provide. Both mom & dad were/are terrific cooks, & it made me sad when my brother said my dad's hospitalization had driven mom to just "toast & soup", if even that.

Impromptu Gourmet's "Mediterranean Vegetables in Filo Dough Purses", "Italian Stuffed Meatloaf", "Cheese Stuffed Chicken Breasts", etc., etc., were not only delicious, but all she had to do was pop them in the oven.

"Processed" or not, at least she - & ultimately my father - ate & enjoyed them. Plus it sort of jump-started her to do some cooking again.

Mission accomplished. : )

Edited to add: For those of you who keep harping on Schwann's nutritional content &/or shortcomings, I was NOT planning on my parents making Schwann's "Impromptu Gourmet" a permanent thing. I truly don't care what the nutritional content is. All I know is they enjoyed it, & it did what I hoped it would - jump-start them back into actual cooking. Period. Geesh. If dad ends up back in the hospital (which, at 81 with problems, is more than likely), I'll happily send mom another "Impromptu Gourmet" package with many blessings.

Last edited:
When my life is overwhelmed I can't even load the dishwasher - a friend affectionately calls it the "I can't load the dishwasher syndrome" - if we call each other saying we have "it" we know the other one is asking for help!

Soup and toast from an accomplished cook is the parallel "syndrome". :chef:

:flowers: Here's to better days

I'm very late to this thread but if you're gonna go the Schwans/Impromptu Gourmet route, I'd suggest looking into dinnersready.com and seeing if they have a place near you. I'd take one of their meals over the other 2 any day.

Poppinfresh - I live in Virginia. My parents live in New York & are in their 80's. My mother never learned how to drive. If I friggin lived near my parents, I'd be over there cooking for them myself. Duh.

Once AGAIN - this wasn't about providing a permanent source of nutrition. I just didn't want my mother eating canned soup & toast twice a day while my dad was in the hospital. The "Impromptu Gourmet" meals were well-packaged, & according to my parents - both GOURMET COOKS THEMSELVES - were delicious & easy to prepare. PERIOD.

I really don't know what is wrong with some of you people. I started this thread asking if anyone had used Impromptu Gourmet before. So far, no one here has ever used them, yet most of you are uber-quick to tell me why they're bad. I don't consider those valid responses.

BreezyCooking said:
Poppinfresh - I live in Virginia. My parents live in New York & are in their 80's. My mother never learned how to drive. If I friggin lived near my parents, I'd be over there cooking for them myself. Duh.

Once AGAIN - this wasn't about providing a permanent source of nutrition. I just didn't want my mother eating canned soup & toast twice a day while my dad was in the hospital. The "Impromptu Gourmet" meals were well-packaged, & according to my parents - both GOURMET COOKS THEMSELVES - were delicious & easy to prepare. PERIOD.

I really don't know what is wrong with some of you people. I started this thread asking if anyone had used Impromptu Gourmet before. So far, no one here has ever used them, yet most of you are uber-quick to tell me why they're bad. I don't consider those valid responses.
Well, let me re-word my post to you then, since you misconstured it or it somehow otherwise upset your delicate sensibilities.

Yes, I've used them. Yes, they were "ok". No, they aren't the best option out there. I was suggesting an alternative place to do business with that offers essentially the same services (for LESS money, no less) that I prefer that would meet what you were trying to accomplish. Mayhap I should have said "see if they have a place near your parents", but last time I checked, that was not a faux pas large enough to merit you going all troll.

Last edited:
I had a terrible experience with impromptu gourmet. The order never came nor did they call to notify me that the order wasn’t going to be shipped which is extremely unprofessional. Terrible customer service. Very RUDE! The woman calls three days later and implied she was doing me a favor by shipping my stale order 3 days later and wanted to provide free the shipping (that she was going to have fedex pay for). When spending high prices you deserve high quality. Not acceptable in Manhattan... in fact not acceptable anywhere!

That's the first thing I did, look to see if they were still in business. Curiosity got the better of me, too.

so, we should both know by now that curiosity, when it involves g-ing the internet, only serves to invite an avalanche of ads to our pc screens, such as i'm getting right now from mackenzie, ltd. hmm, that choc-on-choc cake of theirs does look rather delectable...hmm, $10 off if it ships by 12-16-13--WTH?!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom