Pizza Pizza! (Jan 14, 2006)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
texasgirl said:
:LOL: :ROFLMAO: i know it wasn't funny at the time,but, it sounds like a three stooges episode!
Thats not the only time... I have an outdoor wood fired pizza oven and I was bringing my pizza in the house on my five foot peel after it was done. I was coming in and somehow the end of the peel managed to catch on the door and stopped me dead in my tracks, and the pizza slid right off the end on the floor. :neutral:

texasgirl said:
Is a wood one better?
I think a wooden peel would work great for you, thats what I use.

ok, Paul and I are in!

Paul's Crust
2 1/2 cups bread flour
1 tsp. Salt
1 package yeast
1 teaspoon olive oil
1 cup HOT water (110 degrees)
1 teaspoon brown sugar.

sorry.. I don't have the instructions.. he just kneeds it for awhile and then lets it rise. Sometimes ONCE... sometimes TWICE depending on how hungry we are.

My Sauce
Feel free to add more or less of each item.

5 cloves diced garlic
1/2 onion diced
1 can diced tomato
1 can tomato sauce
1 1/2 teaspoons Greek Oregano
1/2 teaspoon fennel
1 -1 1/2 teaspoon white sugar
dash salt

Dice onion and garlic and saute in EVOO
Add tomatoes and tomato sauce
add Oregano and fennel and sugar and salt
Let simmer until flavors all meld together.

If you like your sauce "unlumpy" you can throw the tomatoes, garlic
and onion into a food processor before or after cooking.

Paul's sticking with Canadian Bacon and uncooked tomatoes
but I'm going to do roasted garlic, mushrooms, onions and artichoke hearts.
He'll end of eating half of mine. lol

Last edited:
Still looking for a great white cheese sauce recipe. Something I may try: I make a White Pizza Dip with Lipton Savory Herb & Garlic soup mix. I was thinking of using some of that for my sauce.

I have used the jarred Alfredo sauce - Eek! No good!

I loved the pizza peel stories - you sound dangerous with that thing!!!

Great idea - I haven't made pizza in eons!
Although, I'm going the easy route - Trader Joes has fresh pizza dough every morning. I think I'll go with mozz & fresh basil leaves, fresh chopped tomato, I'll roast some garlic and then add black olive slices. Then I'll get some good italian sausage and cook it up and put that on top.

Count me in, I love pizza with 5 different kinds of sauteed onions and cheese, DH has me add diced proscuitto, mortadella and some salmi to his :LOL:
this dough recipe makes 2- 10-11 inch pizzas
1/4 plus 2 Tab. lukewarm water (110f)
2-tea. dry yeast
2-c. bread flour
2-Tab. evoo
1-Tab. milk
1/2-tea.salt
combine 1/4 plus the 2 Tab. water and yeast in small bowl, whisk to mix. Stir in 1/4c. flour. Let stand 20 min then add remaining 1-3/4 c. flour and 1/2c. water,evoo ,milk and salt.Mix well. Transfer dough to floured surface and knead about 8-10 min til soft but still moist. Place in oiled bowl,turning to coat dough with the oil, cover with plastic wrap or lid and place in warm spot to rise til doubled. takes about 2 hours. Shape dough into two discs and top

I'm going to do my onion topping and add the Italian meats to DH's
topping
4-cloves minced garlic
1/4-c.evoo
3/4-c.coarse grated mozzarella
3/4-c. coarse grated fontina
2-leeks,white and some of the pale gree,sliced thin
2-yellow onions, sliced thin
6-green onion, green and white, sliced thin
salt and pepper to taste2-3 tab. fresh chopped chives.
preheat oven to 500 put a pizza stone in if you have one. combine garlic and 2 tab. evoo and let stand 30 or so minutes.Combine the 2 cheeses in a bowl. Heat the remaining oil in large skillet over med heat. Add leeks, yellow onions and cook stirring now and then til soft about 15-20 min. Add green onions and cook stirring now and then til they are soft about 10 min. Season with salt and pepper divide you dough into 2 discs and shape.transfer each piece to a pizza stone or pan and then brush with the garlic oil, leave a 1/2 inch border. Sprinkle half the combined cheese on top of the oil, top with half of the onion mix, spread evenly. Give it a sprinkle of salt place in oven and bake til golden and crisp..Repeat with remaining disc. I can taste it already:LOL:

kadesma

does anybody have a yeast dough recipe for a single person??
I'm home alone this weekend.... what do you think, would Chilli con Carne be tasty on pizza?:cool:
still have leftovers from yesterday...

Cara, why don't you cut MJ's recipe in 1/4's? That would likely work for you.

I forgot to do the dough last night, so I will do it the fast way today. I can't believe I did that! My only excuse is I was very tired yesterday. Oh well. c'est la vie.

Can't wait for supper tonight!

I wouldn't think so.

I just rub some olive oil on my cookie sheets.
Some day I have to buy a stone.

Okay, couldn't find a peel anywhere around here. What else can I use? DH isn't home yet, but, I'm gonna ask him if he has any new wood or metal that I can have to use as one, but, in case he doesn't, I'm at a loss as to what I can use to make the pizza on and then transfer it to the stone.

Texas, just make it on an oiled cookie sheet, you won't get it as big around but if your making two they should be about the size of a med store bought... I have a hearth kit that is a stone insert for the oven so I just put my dough on a pizza pan as I don't want the sauce, cheese, grease to get on the stone..A glass pizza pan works fine this way, plus I give the oven a spray of water from a spray bottle twice in the first 10 min of cooking..helps crisp up the crust.
kadesma:LOL:

I don't have a peel either. I make mine directly on the stone and it works just fine. I only cook mine for about 15 minutes though.

I'm excited, dough has risen and I'm fixin to punch it down!! I hope it taste good. I found a copycat recipe for Pizza Hut and I'm doing spinach alfredo. Hopefully, it'll turn out good. This may be a start of something good or bad. hehe

So, how did everyone's dinner turn out.
I ended up making 4 thin crusts. I really like the crust, thanks MJ.
I made one with sausage, candian bacon, pepperoni and mozzerella
one spinach alfredo, I didn't care for that one, gotta work on it so it taste like CiCi's
One with grilled chicken, salsa with the sauce and cheddar {next time I'm putting grilled red bells, even though dh doesn't like them.}
And one 1/2 canadian bacon and pineapple, 1/2 all meat.

It's only 7:00 p.m. here so dinner is not served yet. The dough is rising now and the pizzas are about to be rolled out. I have some marinaded sirloin steak, homemade tomato basil sauce and provolone and mozzarella cheeses. On another one, I'll add the kids' toppings: smoked ham, hard salami, sauce and lots and lots of mozzarella. I'm out of here now...got to run and finish cooking! Will be back after dinner to see who's on the virtual cafe. Anyone care to chat after dinner? White Zinfandel on hand? SEE YA SOON!

I did 2 with the same toppings (BLT) because that's what my husband & brother-in-law like best. And there is no pizza shop around here who makes anything like that. I used 2 different white sauces - the verdict is still out on which one they like best. :) I served Zuppa Tuscana with it. They were happy!

Mmmmmmmm!

Wow my pizza turned out great! Just like my favorite pizzeria, more people should try doing this at home! I'm glad you liked that recipe Texasgirl, there are so many. I wonder if Alix burned her pizza again like she did last time?:ROFLMAO:

Before with fresh mozzarella on top
pizzamj.png

After (it's half gone lol)

pizzaafter.png

Nothing like homeade pizza+beer+football playoffs. I'm in heaven!:mrgreen:

Back
Top Bottom