Problem cooking meatballs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Helcifer

Assistant Cook
Hi Guys, I'm a newbie who is learning how to cook. Recently I have problem cooking meatballs. When I put the meatballs into the frying pan (which was covered with cooking oil & butter), the balls immediately sticked onto the surface of the pan.

And by the time I tried to roll or move the balls, the surface of the balls peeled off, therefore the shape of the meatballs was ruined.. Was it because the heat was too high? I notice that the meatball's surface that touched the pan first turned will blackish quickly (a sign of overcooked?).

Does anyone have any ideas to solve this problem?

Thanks! =)

Firstly, welcome to DC Helcifer. Was the oil/butter smoking? My initial thoughts are that either the pan was too hot, insufficient oil/butter, or too gluggy mixture.

Try having it not so hot or putting a bit more oil in. You could also try flouring the meatballs before putting in the pan.

I bake them on my broiler pan. No sticking, turn only once, they also don't sit in the grease that way.

Last time I made mini chicken rissoles, I poached them in chicken stock. They didn't stick that way either!! Don't know that that helps though! LOL

Plus, it sounds like you didn't let the meat "release" before you tried turning. Of course if they were turning black, I can see why you might not wait.

You can also cook meatballs in the microwave on a bacon rack, and they won't need to be turned at all. They don't get brown, but they taste just as good in the sauce.

Hi Guys, I'm a newbie who is learning how to cook. Recently I have problem cooking meatballs. When I put the meatballs into the frying pan (which was covered with cooking oil & butter), the balls immediately sticked onto the surface of the pan.

And by the time I tried to roll or move the balls, the surface of the balls peeled off, therefore the shape of the meatballs was ruined.. Was it because the heat was too high? I notice that the meatball's surface that touched the pan first turned will blackish quickly (a sign of overcooked?).

Thanks! =)

I brown metballs in a pan too. I think it gives them the best flavor.

When you put raw meatballs into a hot pan, they will stick at first. You must leave them alone and they will unstick by themselves. That's normal. Then you can turn them and repeat the process.

This sticking and unsticking is normal. It happens with all meats. If the meatballs are burning, that is, beyond their getting a nice brown crust, turn down the heat a little.

a Little oil and keep the lid on at a low heat, they part Steam cook that way too, I don`t use any binder either, just the fresh mince itself, no egg or flour used in mine.

once they form and become "solid" (not likely to break apart) then you can crank up the fire a little and sautee them to whatever color you like :)

I like cooking meatballs in a pan this way too, when I place them in, the oil is sizzling hot because I like to get that nice browned coating on the outside. What I do is I put them in very quickly and immediately pick up the pan and move it around back and forth and side to side so the meatballs are getting coated with oil on all sides and they never stick to the pan or to each other.

After they get the coating I reduce the heat. If the balls stuck immediately to your pan, it sounds like it must have been too hot and the oil burned off leaving you with little if any oil.

hmmm, I think I will try the skillet method next time. Pity this thread wasn't a bit earlier...
I made spaghetti and meatballs last night!

Microwave. Pyrex 9 x 13 inch dish. 8 meatballs approximately 3 inches in daimeter. 5 minutes first side, turn, 4 minutes on the second side, then let them percolate in the sauce for about 30 minutes. No muss, nof fuss, no splatter to clean up.

Last edited:
I adhere to the roasting in a broiler pan method. Spray the pan (or brush with oil) put in a pre-heated 400 degree oven and turn them once after 10-12 minutes. Less greasy and wonderful texture.

Lately I have been cooking mine on sheet in the oven. I coat the pan with a little oil. I bake at 450.

I bake mine in the oven.

yeah i will usually put mine in the broiler to kinda sear the outside, then either bake them in the oven to finish or cook them in my sauce for a few hours on a low/medium heat depending on how im serving them... never really been a fan of pan frying them.

Last edited:
I'm in the oven / baking camp. I just do it at 425 for 10-15 minutes. I have found that it is the best method in terms of the ratio of effort to results. It is extremely easy and the meatballs always turn out nicely. That way you can tend to the pasta and make sure it is cooked perfectly (assuming this is for spaghetti & meatballs).

Thanks! =)

Easy. Don't cook them in the frying pan. I've been cooking meat balls for 20 plus years :ermm: shows my age unfortunately, but it's been burned into my head don't cook them in the frying pan because they'll get burned every time.

In order to get a correct consistency, place them in a pre-heated oven at 400 for 10 minutes. This can also depend on the type of oven you have as times may differ. (A very important issue to make note of) Of course it's going to depend on the size meat ball you are making. When I make mine, they are on the large size because I want the meat and spices to be tasted. I would say the size is approximately 1-1/2" to 2" in diameter. I don't use anything to help me measure the meat, it is all done by feel and visual since I've been doing it for so long.

Wish you the best in locating what you need! Happy cooking!! :chef:

When I make meatballs, its usually to go with tomato sauce. I brown them in a pan but don't try to cook them through. In the pan I give them a nice crust all around then toss them into the sauce to finish cooking and flavoring the sauce.

When I make meatballs, its usually to go with tomato sauce. I brown them in a pan but don't try to cook them through. In the pan I give them a nice crust all around then toss them into the sauce to finish cooking and flavoring the sauce.

yeah if you're making the meatballs with sauce/pasta cooking it in the sauce is definetly the way to go!!!

Back
Top Bottom