Profiteering on Amazon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

skilletlicker

Head Chef
I won't link to any specific article because no matter which one I pick somebody is going to call it a fake news source but use any search engine you want with keywords like "Tennessee man, hand sanitizer" and you see a bunch of stories about a guy who bought over 17,000 bottles of the stuff to resell on Amazon. Turns out they canceled his account for price gouging which is surprising news to me.

In the past 24 hours, I've checked Amazon's prices on stone-ground corn grits and raw peanuts. Prices from independent sellers were more than 500% higher than my local Kroger.

I don't know if this means there is a limit to the profiteering allowed on the site in general or only under circumstances that would likely provoke wide-spread media condemnation.

While you can get some bargains on Amazon, there are also items on there that are more expensive than local stores. A 12 oz. can of BKF is about $5.99 on Amazon. My supermarket has it for $2.99.

P.S. I hope that Tennessee man doesn't't sell a single bottle and has to eat the whole lot.

While you can get some bargains on Amazon, there are also items on there that are more expensive than local stores. A 12 oz. can of BKF is about $5.99 on Amazon. My supermarket has it for $2.99.

P.S. I hope that Tennessee man doesn't't sell a single bottle and has to eat the whole lot.

One article said that since he couldn't sell them, he decided to donate them. He had already made a profit.

Amazon, Ebay and Wal-Mart are shutting them down as they find them. I was online looking for toilet paper and paper towels Friday and Saturday out of necessity, checking every hour or so, and noticed that ads with outrageously high prices would be there 1 time and gone the next. I finally found both via Wal-Mart, 1 store pickup and 1 delivery via FedEx. Boy the looks I got when I walked out of the store with 2 packs of TP.

Paper goods have always been more expensive on Amazon. ... especially cases of toilet paper and diapers, which come in huge cartons. Even with Prime, someone’s paying for shipping.... you.

BKF?

Amazon zapped his account, he is being investigated for price gouging charges and donated the lot.

Internet justice happened pretty quickly. His name is all over the place now, not in a good way.

Amazon zapped his account, he is being investigated for price gouging charges and donated the lot.

Internet justice happened pretty quickly. His name is all over the place now, not in a good way.

Hey Jono! I haven't seen you around in ages!! Good to see you are still 'abiding'.

Back
Top Bottom