Wash mushrooms?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
last year I went to the Kennett Square Mushroom festival ( IN Kennett Square PA), and had the pleasure of visiting a Mushroom Farm.

It was a really great experience seeing and learning about the mushroom growing process, in addition to mushroom foods, crafts and everything mushroom

I'm a washer.

I rinse off the sterilized/pasteurized horse and exotic zoo poop used in some growing mediums.

I also have concerns about the number of people that handle the mushrooms before they reach my kitchen.

Rinsing may not provide any real protection, it does make me feel better. :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

It's the mycelium, or roots, that are in the growing medium. The mushroom fruiting bodies grow above it. Or, as Larry showed, outside the container where they don't touch the medium.

Just picked these yesterday.
Grew them myself.
"Elm Mushrooms"
Boiled straw to kill off any bacteria
Inoculated the straw with Mushroom spores
Placed in a large plastic bucket with multiple holes drilled
Placed a plastic bag over it and misted for humidity
3 weeks later, a bunch of mushrooms.

Made a mushroom rice with them for dinner last night .

I did not rinse these ,as I knew exactly what they were grown in, and the way they were grown, it allowed me to slice them off the bucket, they were as cleans as can be.

Others I will wash, but only before i use them
I picked some Pheasant backs this morning (off an elm log that is on the firewood pile). I washed them, cleaned the "gills" off with a spoon, sliced them thinly, sautéed them in a bit of butter, and then added them to my scrambled eggs this morning. Delish! What's another name for the Elm mushrooms, Larry?

I put them into a strainer and I use the sprayer on my sink so they are not sitting in water, them place them on paper towel to absorb any moisture.
Haven't had a problem with them being slimy or too watery.

I wash mine the same way. A couple of tosses in the strainer and all of them are clean as far as I am concerned. No slime for mine. :angel:

Larry, do you mean to say that it took this thread for you to show your fabulous picture of your bucket of shrooms? You are one modest man, Man.

Fantastic!!

Whats even sadder than this, is that I haven't shared my daughters prom or graduation pics yet with anyone, yet Im parading this mushroom pics around like its my kid :ROFLMAO:

What's another name for the Elm mushrooms, Larry?

It appears to be a variety of Oyster Mushroom
This was one of the few things I've done, that actually worked exactly as the instructions claimed, almost to the day. I could have misted them more and the results would have been better, but Im still excited with what I got, and gives me something to do over the winter. I doubt Ill get the $30 back in mushrooms that i spent on the kit, but it was fun. Other mushroom logs I didn't have as much luck with.

Elm Oyster Garden Kit | 100th Monkey Mushroom Farm

Whats even sadder than this, is that I haven't shared my daughters prom or graduation pics yet with anyone, yet Im parading this mushroom pics around like its my kid :ROFLMAO:

Well, get busy. You know we are crazy for pictures. I love prom night. You get to see all the girls in their beautiful gowns and boys nervous about taking their date out for the first fancy date. In this neighborhood everyone comes out and gets pictures. Even though it isn't even their kid. You even see some on the neighbors with tears. So send those pictures so we can all go Oooh and get choked up remembering sending our own kids out the door.

That is quite a neat hobby you have there. It does sound like fun. I can't blame you for getting so excited. That is quite a big success. Congratulations on your farming skills. :angel:

Your mushrooms are gorgeous, Larry! I'd parade them around too!

Eons ago, I ordered a shitake log from a catalog, and faithfully followed the instructions. I got 3 mushrooms, and nothing after that, even though it was touted as a repeat producer.

What we are lucky for around here are Hen of the Woods mushrooms. I haven't found any myself, but we're blessed to have a friend with Hen benefits who does. Hens definitely need to be washed, even soaked in salt water, to get the bugs and ookies out, but they are absolutely delicious, and never get slimy or mushy. They last forever in the freezer, and are great for dehydrating.

Last edited:
Gee Dawg, my sister had a back retaining wall that was built in the 1700. She used to collect the Hen in the Woods every year. They just kept coming back, over and over. Faithful little buggers. :angel:

Addie, I envy your sister! One of our neighbors had a dying tree that was great for Hens. Sadly, he cut it down and burned out the stump. But our friend still thinks of us, and brings us a stash when he finds them. His own family won't eat them!

Last edited:
I wash whole mushrooms, but not the sliced ones. Also I for sure wash the wild mushrooms several times.

My friends, friend goes mushroom hunting each year for hen of the woods. He actually sets his gps so he knows exactly where each tree is located. Thats taking it to a whole other level.

I'm a little late on this thread but wanted to make a comment. If I get mushrooms that are "new", nice and white, I just wipe them with a damp cloth. But once they get a little older, or if they have that black stuff clinging to them I peel them. DH think's I'm nuts, and some people here probably do too. Mostly I just fry them and it makes me feel better that all that stuff is off them. When they are new, you can't really peel them but they peel easily when they get older.

Back
Top Bottom