International Women's Day Dinner - 3/8/2018

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Salmon to be baked on potato slices with broccoli, lemon and thyme. Ready for the oven. Was reduced to a recipe from two to one! And it WAS yum yum!

Attachments

• DSCN5794.jpg
    DSCN5794.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 163
Beautiful pic Dragn - looks and sounds good.

I have enough leftover steak from yesterday to slice up and gently warm. I think I'll have that with a couple of fried eggs, and call it good. :yum:

The only thing I can say that is home-made about today's dinner is I used some dried garden sage and dried thyme from the last time I bought a pkg of fresh thyme. Otherwise, it's all just put together --- Chicken pot pie with biscuits.

rotisserie chicken
frozen veggies,
jarred gravy/ add a splash of chix broth and milk + the herbs
Box of Red Lobster cheddar biscuits mix. Add your own already shredded cheese.
Bake until heated, top with the biscuits and bake until done.

Woman, where's my dinner?!

Oh, wait, it is 2018, not 1958. :ermm:

So, I'm in Austin today, and tonight. I'm actually in the Austin Burbs, which is nothing like the REAL Austin. I'm surrounded by bad restaurants... Applebee's, Outhouse Steakhouse, Olive Garden... Ugh!

But, I found this little place nearby called Lucky's Chicago Grill, that has Vienna Beef hot dogs -- very rarely found in Texas. I had a Chicago dog, and it was done right. I enjoyed it, neon green relish and all. I need to remember to put celery salt on my home cooked dogs. It is a nice touch of flavor.

CD

Chicken cutlets with roasted pearl onions, red grapes, balsamic mix served over mixed spring salad mix with balsamic vinaigrette.

Attachments

• 2018-03-08 19.12.47.jpg
    2018-03-08 19.12.47.jpg
    71 KB · Views: 154
medtran, please tell me you didn't heat up an oven just to roast some pearl onions? and a few grapes?

But I must say... looks FABTABULOUS! not to mention extremely yummy!!

Nice looking dinners dragn and med. Med, did you use fresh or frozen pearl onions? I love roasted grapes, but never tried them with onions. Himself might really like them that way. I really like them all by themselves. :yum:

I made a small pot of "which veggies must go?" minestrone, along with a sheetpan dinner of Italian sausage/suntan peppers/onion. Served up the last of the cornbread - or should I call it "polenta bread" in view of tonight's other offerings. :cool: Only the soup was pretty enough for a portrait.

Attachments

• 20180308_220222.jpg
    20180308_220222.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 109
medtran, please tell me you didn't heat up an oven just to roast some pearl onions? and a few grapes?...
dragn, I don't know about medtran, but I'll fire up my toaster oven to do a pan of grapes if I'm not roasting something bigger and want/need roasted grapes.

Also, I suppose the chicken cutlets could have been finished off in an oven after browning them up in a pan. That's how I make my breaded pork chops.

medtran, I never heard of roasted grapes! Thank you for that and for your beautiful photo. So colorful and delicious looking.

CookingGoddess, two thumbs up for your yummy soup portrait!

dragn, I don't know about medtran, but I'll fire up my toaster oven to do a pan of grapes if I'm not roasting something bigger and want/need roasted grapes.

Also, I suppose the chicken cutlets could have been finished off in an oven after browning them up in a pan. That's how I make my breaded pork chops.

You're absolutely right CG. Don't know where my brain was when I made that comment over medtran's post. :rolleyes:

I too use my toaster oven for small things PLUS finishing up both breaded chops and breaded chicken.

I deep fried some beer battered flounder, served with seasoned fries (Aldi's) and a green salad.. The fish was very delicious.. :yum:

Ross

Yes, dragnlaw, I did fire up the oven for just the grapes and onions, but it's cold here now, though not really cold enough to turn on whole house heating, so it was a welcome warmth.

Recipe posted for the onions and grapes with balsamic if anybody wants to try it. It also goes well with pork. I normally use arugula for this, but store was out so I got the spring mix. This also makes a good light salad meal with arugula, the roasted mix and feta or some other sharp/salty cheese sprinkled on top.

http://www.discusscooking.com/forum...es-with-balsamic-glaze-99648.html#post1542721

quiero sorprender a mi esposa y darle una de sus mejores comidas preparadas por mi. que tipo de cena me recomiendan.??

Assuming you can translate this...

It depends on what you are most comfortable cooking and your budget. Chicken, beef or fish, lamb?

Keep it simple but maybe elaborate in several courses, appetizer, soup, main, cheese and fruit, sweet. You don't have to prepare all of the courses from scratch. At least one though! the main?

Or one elaborate main dish? I personally find that chicken seems to be the most versatile one. So many styles of dishes are popular.

Give us a hint of what type of meal she might order in a restaurant that isn't made at home?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom