What are you baking today? | 2014

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
In the middle of making a batch of onion bagels. I discovered I didn't have any onion powder! So I used my coffee grinder to grind some toasted onion flakes to a powder. We'll see how that works.

Thanks, Everyone. I really enjoyed getting back to it.
Looks great LP!!! Did the 4 year old like it?
Yes she did, as did her Mom, and all the guests at the party. Her 2 1/2 year old brother seemed the most excited about it and wanted to eat Olaf! LOL

Really cool cake LP. How did you do the greenish icy stuff on top?
It is sugar, water and corn syrup boiled to hard crack (300 degrees F) then a drop of sky blue gel colouring and poured into a greased cookie sheet to cool and break up.

i've got a no-knead loaf rising. Tossed in some rosemary. i'm looking forard to a nice tuna salad sammie.

All butter shortbread and ginger oat biscuits (aka cookies). There's a horse show being put on for the kids at the stables in a couple of weeks. Lots of doting mummies will be there so I'm doing a cake sale for Help 4 Heroes (a wounded servicemen and women's charity) so as cookies store well I thought I'd get a few on the go early. H4H is having a "Colossal Cake Sale" at the end of April-beginning of May as a nationwide fund-raiser.

Colossal Cake Sale - Organise a cake sale in aid of Help for Heroes

Bake sales always raise good money.

We have plenty of pineapple upside down cake to last us for desserts until Wednesday, but then it'll be nuthin', so in anticipation of being out of commission in the hospital in Nashville probably until the weekend, I baked a slew of oatmeal cookies. I crammed them full of all sorts of goodies I found in the pantry, which means each cookie is a hefty little piece of goodness.

I ended up with nearly 5 dozen super cookies, which means they should last us until I feel like being up on my feet doing things. I'll store them in zipper lock plastic bags and put them in the refrigerator until we get home.

Man, oh, man! They turned out so perfect.

I made macarons for the first time tonight. For some reason the mood struck at 8pm. I was inspired by the Woodland Bakery Blog video from last night. I would call them a success for a first shot. Like hers I filled them with dolce de leche, but I didn't make my own, I bought a can! They could use more prominent "feet" but I'll call this good for a first shot.

Macarons.JPG

Good lord BC, you sure did burn the midnight oil making those! They are so cute though - as in too cute to eat! Now leave all the cleaning up for Rob and head off to sleep. Unless...you're already sleeping? Hard to tell anymore when people are really there or not with tablets and smartphones that keep you logged in even when you aren't there. I make sure I exit the site when I check on my phone.

Last edited:
Chocolate chip cookies.
I had read advice here that after mixing everything to
put it in the refrigerator over night.
In this tropical weather it works really well.

The nice thing about Chocolate Chip Cookies is the ease of making them, and you know everyone wants one when they see them sitting there. They always take two. One for each hand.

I use an ice cream scoop (dasher) to measure mine out. And yes, I do let the dough sit overnight in the fridge. It helps the different flavors meld. :angel:

Chocolate chip cookies.
I had read advice here that after mixing everything to
put it in the refrigerator over night.
In this tropical weather it works really well.

And it also improves the flavor. I've tested this and compared baking them immediately and after one day and two days in the fridge and they just get better. They get a more complex, caramel like flavor.

Sent from my XT1080 using Discuss Cooking mobile app

Good lord BC, you sure did burn the midnight oil making those! They are so cute though - as in too cute to eat! Now leave all the cleaning up for Rob and head off to sleep. Unless...you're already sleeping? Hard to tell anymore when people are really there or not with tablets and smartphones that keep you logged in even when you aren't there. I make sure I exit the site when I check on my phone.

I had it all wrapped up in an hour and a half and eating them! While they were baking I was cleaning up the kitchen. All rob had to do is enjoy them! He does clean up after dinner though.

Sent from my XT1080 using Discuss Cooking mobile app

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom