What are you baking today? | 2014

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Found some lignonberry/patridgeberry sauce in the freezer. I'm going turn that into a filling for some mini-lingonberry tarts using a molasses crust.

Memorial University DAI: Recipe for molasses tarts from Margaret Decker's cookbook, Joe Batt's Arm

I also have some pork "marinating" to turn into sausage later.
I forgot a friend borrowed my camera. Anyway. The molasses crust--oh, this is definitely THE crust for pumpkin pie. I added a bit of freshly-ground black pepper because the taste of the dough reminded me of my grandma's Swedish peppernut dough. Definitely a recipe I will be playing with re: other fillings.

I recently made some Melting Moments filled with raspberry cream , mine are gluten free , very nice with a cuppa.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 170
Today I chilled a raspberry jam cheesecake (it baked late last night). An 8" inch cheesecake with gingersnap and almond flour crust, cream cheese, and a small jar of raspberry preserves mixed into the batter.

I am baking mini brownie bites. My grandson is coming tomorrow and we will be celebrating that he no longer has to be on a gluten-free diet.

I forgot a friend borrowed my camera. Anyway. The molasses crust--oh, this is definitely THE crust for pumpkin pie. I added a bit of freshly-ground black pepper because the taste of the dough reminded me of my grandma's Swedish peppernut dough. Definitely a recipe I will be playing with re: other fillings.
Might have a go at this but just one question. Did you find the quantities of cloves and cinnamon were ok? Sounds quite a lot for the amount of flour.

My brownie bites didn't turn out right. I put too much batter in each tassie cup and it rose up and out and formed a muffin top. When I tried to turn the pan over to tap them out the tops fell off and the rest stayed in the pan. The tops look like cookies. I dug the dough out of the cups and rolled it into balls. Brownie balls. He's 5. He'll love them. LOL

DH said I had brownie batter all over me.

Last edited:
My brownie bites didn't turn out right. I put too much batter in each tassie cup and it rose up and out and formed a muffin top. When I tried to turn the pan over to tap them out the tops fell off and the rest stayed in the pan. The tops look like cookies. I dug the dough out of the cups and rolled it into balls. Brownie balls. He's 5. He'll love them. LOL

:LOL: I hate that when my tops fall off.

Today I baked the worst dried fruit pie, ever!

I couldn't roll the crust out properly. Instead of wax paper, my husband had purchased "baking paper" (which isn't parchment paper, and isn't wax paper, and shreds like the dickens). I was out of plastic wrap, and my counters are too old and nasty to roll on without protection. I used the baking paper and ended up with shreds of the paper stuck INTO the crust. I picked out most of them but I suspect I left some behind for the baking.

When I put the pie in the oven to blind bake the crust, the crust started sliding down into the pan (probably because it was too thick and rolled out poorly).

I ended up putting the chopped/soaked dried fruits into the pan while the crust was still soft, and not putting on a top crust. In order to bake it enough for the crust to be baked I had to kind of over-cook the filling. But, since there was no top at least I could stir the filling around so nothing actually burned.

Because I was so stressed over the crust, I forgot to double-check the sugar I used for the filling and it ended up too sour. Not inedible or anything...but...not the way I would have wanted it to taste.

All in all, a discouraging day.

I couldn't roll the crust out properly. Instead of wax paper, my husband had purchased "baking paper" (which isn't parchment paper, and isn't wax paper, and shreds like the dickens). I was out of plastic wrap, and my counters are too old and nasty to roll on without protection. I used the baking paper and ended up with shreds of the paper stuck INTO the crust. I picked out most of them but I suspect I left some behind for the baking.

When I put the pie in the oven to blind bake the crust, the crust started sliding down into the pan (probably because it was too thick and rolled out poorly).

I ended up putting the chopped/soaked dried fruits into the pan while the crust was still soft, and not putting on a top crust. In order to bake it enough for the crust to be baked I had to kind of over-cook the filling. But, since there was no top at least I could stir the filling around so nothing actually burned.

Because I was so stressed over the crust, I forgot to double-check the sugar I used for the filling and it ended up too sour. Not inedible or anything...but...not the way I would have wanted it to taste.

But...now you know what NOT to do when you bake the next pie...starting with not letting the husband purchase the wrong paper.:LOL:

I made brownies from a mix yesterday and we liked those. Today, I took what was left over for my nice Dean of Women. She loves samples and leftovers of my cooking!

With love,
~Cat

Oh dear, not a happy day.

Don't know if they're available where you are but I bought a couple of thin silicone sheets, about 12" x 12" very cheaply in the supermarket. IIRC they cost about a £1 each ($1.50 I think). When I bought them it was a case of "I'm sure they'll be useful for something". and they are - for rolling out!

...I used the baking paper and ended up with shreds of the paper stuck INTO the crust. I picked out most of them but I suspect I left some behind for the baking....

Because I was so stressed over the crust, I forgot to double-check the sugar I used for the filling and it ended up too sour...
Consider those shreds of paper to be extra fiber. :)

Maybe you could sprinkle a bit of sugar over your slice of pie a short time before you eat it? Or perhaps a scoop of ice cream would help? At least it's easier to add more sugar rather than take it out once the pie is baked. I completely forgot sugar in a pumpkin pie once. Once. We fixed the no-sugar pie by completely loading up with whipped cream on our slices.

Alike Andy said, it will be better next time.

I baked and decorated this over the weekend for a four-year-old's birthday.

Attachments

• Abi4thCake1.jpg
    Abi4thCake1.jpg
    23.5 KB · Views: 156
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom