What are you baking today? | 2015

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
my word myrt, this took over a half day to make. Thought I better take a photo cause this may be the last one I ever make. It is a little rough around the edges but I don't think he or I will mind. I had forgotten how decadent the icing is:yum:. At 640 Kcal a slice, I will be giving some away:). The recipe actually warns to have a light meal to fully enjoy this "special occasion" ( I get what that means now) treat.

Oh, it's a German Chocolate cake

That's my favorite cake of all time. I usually double the amount of melted chocolate in the cake part. It is kind of labor intensive, but darned worth it! It's kind of a once a year cake for me.

I baked to chocolate cakes with ganache topping for our two next door neighbors. They did a lot to keep our cars and home clear of snow while we were gone. Given the extreme amount of snow we've had, I thought they deserved something to say 'thank you'.

Over the years I've had really good luck with recipes on the labels of foods. Today I gave a Kroger recipe a whirl and, WOW, how yummy!

I wanted something a little different for dessert and was in the mood for brownies. The only challenge here is that Glenn isn't a huge chocolate fan. What to do? Blondies, of course, which led me to a recipe I'd seen on the back of a package of Kroger white chocolate chips. I tried it and it's definitely a "keeper."

So, to share, check out White Chocolate Cranberry Macadamia Blondies. They are delicious!

I'm not much of a baker so I rarely post here, but I do read. :)

I have a loaf pan of Martha Stewart's banana bread in the oven now. I had a craving - had a couple of ripe bananas and some sour cream to use up so I looked around the 'net and found a recipe that calls for the sour cream. My baking powder was expired and this recipe doesn't use any, which was also a plus. :LOL:

Now here it is 9:20PM and it won't be done for another hour....so I can't relax and doze in the recliner, plus I have a sink full of bowls, measuring cups and spoons that will greet me in the morning. This banana bread better be good! LOL :LOL:

Cheryl, have you made Martha's banana bread before? I bookmarked her recipe but haven't tried it yet. Hope you can post a review when you sample it, please. :flowers:

Sorry CG, I didn't answer your question - no, I've not made Martha's banana bread before.
It's very good! Really moist and flavorful. :yum: I'll definitely make it again.

The only thing I'd do differently next time is use my glass loaf pan instead of the dark one. It got a little too done around the edges, even though I didn't bake it for as long as the recipe said to.

Attachments

• 006.jpg
    006.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 193
  • 013.jpg
    013.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 194
Last edited:
Sorry CG, I didn't answer your question - no, I've not made Martha's banana bread before.
It's very good! Really moist and flavorful. :yum: I'll definitely make it again.

The only thing I'd do differently next time is use my glass loaf pan instead of the dark one. It got a little too done around the edges, even though I didn't bake it for as long as the recipe said to.

Looks perfect to me..I like the edges on banana bread exactly like you made.

Cheryl, have you made Martha's banana bread before? I bookmarked her recipe but haven't tried it yet. Hope you can post a review when you sample it, please. :flowers:

CG, this is an excellent recipe. I add either semi sweet or bittersweet chocolate chips and walnuts. I have won the hearts of my new step-children with this recipe.

Thank you, BoracayB. :)

It's delicious! Having a warmed and lightly buttered slice of it now, with my morning coffee.

Beth, my grands would love it with chocolate chips. :) I would have added chopped pecans, but I'm out.

Just took a tray of cornmeal pan rolls out of the oven and because Glenn and I are such responsible people, we each had to sample some while they were still warm. Slathered with real butter, of course.

Yep, they are good!:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Cheryl, your banana break looks scrumptious! Now I have to buy too many bananas when I shop so I can let some age.

beth, thanks for your endorsement too. I'm a purist when it comes to banana bread, adding in only chopped walnuts. However, chocolate lover that I am, I'll have to try your way. My dear SIL loves to doctor up her banana breads by sometimes adding blueberries or dried cranberries. Meh, not my thing. Himself doesn't mind when she brings some to share with us though, since he ends up with the lion's share. This lioness has just one small slice. :LOL:

And now you guys started my wheels turning. A bread with an Elvis riff on it: banana nut bread with chopped peanuts and crisped bacon? :huh: Not sure I'm brave enough to try that - where is pacanis and his bacon express when you need him. I bet he'd give it a whirl.

Today the young lads and I made gobi masala and poori. We also used the poori dough to make another type of flat bread. Next time we get together, we are making croissants. I'm exhausted.

Did a little basement puttering yesterday and ran across an "oops". When Himself was working, I would buy a couple of Pillsbury quick bread mixes every time they were on sale so I could bake muffins for his breakfast. (For every one packed into his lunch bag, I got to eat one at home. ;) ) Well, while moving stuff around a long while ago I put a bunch of them aside. Way aside. As in, one of the two mixes I baked today had a "Best By" date in 2011. :ohmy: Sealed, boxed off the floor, and in a cool and relatively dry basement, I wasn't afraid of spoilage. However, I figured it wouldn't hurt to add just a touch of extra, fresh baking powder. Made a loaf of cranberry and a loaf of banana, I added walnuts to each, and also had half a banana that was left from a fruit salad I made on Monday, so that was chopped and added to the banana bread. I froze a generous half of each loaf for some other days down the road.

I have a feeling I'll be baking up quite of few of these mixes in the weeks to come...:ermm:

I'm not much of a baker, but it sounds like that would work, especially since you added a little more baking powder....? Your additions sound really good, let us know how they turned out! :yum::chef:

I have a batch of whole wheat savoury bagels rising. To make them savoury--onion, garlic, marjoram, black pepper, a bit of cayenne pepper, parm. cheese.

I need to get off my duff and out into the kitchen. It has been quite a while since I got my hands into a mess of flour. I need to make up some bread dough and break it down into the size for just a couple of sandwich rolls each. Then freeze the rest in separate zippy bags.

I don't know about anyone else, but I love to knead dough. I find it very relaxing. And I have the perfect stool to sit on while I am doing it. :angel:

Today I baked a yellow cake recipe. It's the first yellow cake recipe test in my search for a great yellow cake.

It made two layers. I froze one and topped the other with chocolate ganache type frosting. Taste testing will follow this evening.

Today I baked a yellow cake recipe. It's the first yellow cake recipe test in my search for a great yellow cake.

It made two layers. I froze one and topped the other with chocolate ganache type frosting. Taste testing will follow this evening.

I've been working on a yellow cake, I'll post it here soon.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom