"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu
Old 01-21-2015, 09:31 AM   #11
Head Chef

medtran49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 02:35 PM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire
I forgot to post a picture of the cinnamon-raisin bagels the young lads made last week. Next week, we are making Pooris.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bagels.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	50.2 KB
ID:	22558  

I've got OCD--Obsessive Chicken Disorder!
CWS4322 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 03:22 PM   #13
Executive Chef
my word myrt, this took over a half day to make. Thought I better take a photo cause this may be the last one I ever make. It is a little rough around the edges but I don't think he or I will mind. I had forgotten how decadent the icing is. At 640 Kcal a slice, I will be giving some away. The recipe actually warns to have a light meal to fully enjoy this "special occasion" ( I get what that means now) treat.

Oh, it's a German Chocolate cake
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN3025.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	64.8 KB
ID:	22587  
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. Margaret Mead
bethzaring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 03:35 PM   #14
Certified Pretend Chef
Baked a batch of onion bagels yesterday.
"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." -Carl Sagan
Andy M. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 05:41 PM   #15
Executive Chef
No baking today. I need some self-raising flour and I keep forgetting to buy it when I go out. Perhaps my mind is trying to tell me something!
Don’t look for the light at the end of the tunnel. Stomp along and switch the bl**dy thing on yourself.
Mad Cook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2015, 12:51 AM   #16
Master Chef
Originally Posted by Mad Cook View Post
No baking today. I need some self-raising flour...
You might be able to whip it up yourself with ingredients on hand. This link to the King Arthur Flour website has good information and hints: Homemade self-rising flour tips: King Arthur Flour Maybe something there applies to a fix you can make without leaving home. Then again, if you are completely out of any kind of flour, this ain't gonna help.
... nothing is given. Everything is earned. You work for what you have... ~~~ LeBron James
Cooking Goddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2015, 10:09 AM   #17
Executive Chef
Pineapple oatmeal muffins. They are in the oven right now:

Pineapple Oatmeal Muffins

• 1½ cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 cup old fashioned oatmeal
  • ½ cup packed light brown sugar
  • 1 Tbs baking powder
  • 8oz crushed pineapple, with juice
  • 1 cup buttermilk
  • ¼ cup unsalted butter, softened
  • 1 egg
  • 1 tsp Amoretti Madagascar-Bourbon (2 fold) Vanilla Extract

Preheat oven to 350F.Line 2 six-cup muffin pans with baking cups. ( I am using one huge 6 cup pan)

In a stand mixer fitted with the paddle, cream the butter and brown sugar until pale yellow andfluffy. Add the pineapple, buttermilk, egg and vanilla and continueto beat until well blended. In a medium mixing bowl, whisk the flour,baking powder and oatmeal together. Slowly add the dry ingredientsinto the wet ingredients and continue to beat at medium speed until combined.

Divide batter evenly amongst the baking cups and bake in a 350F oven for 18 to 20 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool the muffins in the pan for 10 minutes, then move them to cooling racks. Serve warm or at room temperature.

Oops, there's the timer. Gotta go!
Life is much more manageable when thought of as a scavenger hunt as opposed to a surprise party - Jimmy Buffett
Sir_Loin_of_Beef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2015, 11:34 AM   #18
Chef Extraordinaire
Site Moderator
Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Just a point of information for everyone: This is the "baking" thread for 2015.

Kind of a mixed baking bag here today. After making, and giving away, a loaf of rosemary-olive oil bread yesterday, I have another one in the works this morning. When it's done, I'll bake Valentine cut-out cookies from the dough that's been chilling. Gotta have Valentine's Day sweets for my "sweet."

Wanted to make some bacon-and-egg bread for tomorrow's breakfast but, then, realized that I'd planned heart-shaped pancakes for that meal, so the bread will have to wait for another day.
"As a girl I had zero interest in the stove." - Julia Child
This is real inspiration. Look what Julia became!
Katie H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2015, 04:06 PM   #19
Head Chef
Roasted beet, dark chocolate flourless cake. Ground almonds replace the flour. It's in the oven now. We licked the bowl and the batter tasted pretty good.
medtran49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2015, 04:32 PM   #20
Executive Chef
I don't think I would call it "baking" so much as "reheating!"
This morning while visiting a friend and his wife I traded them a bottle of very good imported Italian extra virgin olive oil for a loaf of Sour Dough Bread from Boudin Bakery in San Fransisco, home of the original and official S.F. Sour Dough. Even though we're in Arkansas, she pulled a loaf from her freezer. I cuddled it as though I were nurturing a baby and we did a swap reminiscent of a prisoner exchange during the Cold War.
Oven warmed, crunchy crusted bread, sliced and served with a side of sliced Tillamook extra sharp cheddar cheese and nothing else to go with it, not even butter, has been heavenly!!! (sigh!)
As a highschool teenager my girlfriend and love of my life wandered the fisherman's wharf area nibbling on a wheel of Boudin's sour dough and a paper sack of freshly caught and steamed prawns. Sharing a bite of bread and a bite of naturally seasoned prawn with my love, was a moment in my history that still lives on as the most memorable in my life!
I have shrimp in my freezer and plans for them to be served with the second half of this loaf. I only wish I had a love to share them with.

"Food is our common ground, a universal experience." - James Beard
Selkie is offline   Reply With Quote