What are you baking today?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
i made a mexican fruit cake. it was just basic pineapple as far as i can tell. creame cheese and butter frosting.

made for my handy man that still hasn't shown up. he did call at three and said he would be late. now he is an hour later than he said in call.

i simply can't win with this guy.

babe:angry::angry::angry:

I'm baking some tilapia with toasted black pepper marinade and some homeade mac and cheese with green been extract. ummmmm good!

i made a mexican fruit cake. it was just basic pineapple as far as i can tell. creame cheese and butter frosting.

made for my handy man that still hasn't shown up. he did call at three and said he would be late. now he is an hour later than he said in call.

i simply can't win with this guy.

babe:angry::angry::angry:

Babe, if I bring my DH to install your floor can I have the fruitcake? :LOL:

I have always wanted to try molten chocolate cake so I made (and ate) this tonight and it was as easy and delicious as it looks! I used semi-sweet chocolate squares and it tasted fine and I substituted strawberries for the raspberry garnish because I had them. Finally, we didn't bother cutting them in half and had one each (there is one left for us to fight over!).

Babetoo, that was a thoughtful thing for you to do! Without sounding like I am making generalizations or promoting stereotypes, let me tell you (from our own experience) that Mexicans just don't have the same sense of time urgency that we do in the US. It is one of the things about living here that is toughest to get used to...we're still waiting for the plumber that was supposed to show up a few days ago, and the guy who was supposed to come over and give us an estimate for the windows and doors upstairs (a week ago) still hasn't shown up. It is a real paradox, because Mexican people are unfailingly courteous and kind, but almost never show up on time. Just a cultural difference.

LOL!!
Sounds like my Mother would have a nervous breakdown if she lived in Mexico!
:)
I may bake some brownies today.

ww dinner rolls, and I'm getting ready to make some enchiladas, but probably won't get to the stage to bake it off today, haven't made the tortillas yet and need to do more research for using goat cheese instead of the aged cheddar I usually use.

Suzi, Mexico is not for everyone. Plenty of gringos come down here to make their retirement home and leave pulling their hair out. DH and I are very laid back and we're pretty flexible. There are too many things about the culture to admire and enjoy to let little things bother us.

Today, I have a mango cheesecake in the oven to take to some friends' house for dinner this evening. The nice humidity here usually means perfect cheesecake...keeping my fingers crossed.

Karen,
How do you find the differences (if any) between products in the US and Mexico? I have noticed that if I use philidelphia cream cheese I bought across the boarder it is a different consistency and gives a different result than that here at home? Just wondered if you found the same thing.

Laurie, I generally find that the Mexican versions of the products I am used to buying are better. The Campbells Cream of Mushroom soup I buy here has lots more mushrooms! I haven't really noticed any difference in the cream cheese, though...I just buy Philadelphia brand. But it might be a little creamier and I never have problems with it lumping. The butter is way better - unsalted and like the Plugra I used to buy at Trader Joes.

I mixed up a triple batch of sourdough this morning before I left for work. When I get home, one batch will have cinnamon, raisins and pecans added, one batch will be baked as a straight sourdough and the third batch will have cinnamon, raisins, pecans AND chocoloate chips.
Then I will whip up a quadruple batch of pizza dough to take when I go watch my grandson come up from Oklahoma City to play in a baseball tournament this weekend.

Oh gosh, babe - thought maybe no one was baking today! I made 12 hamburger/sandwich rolls from a mix of white/whole wheat flour and also 6 dozen delicious sugar cookies. Put some in the freezer.

Another batch of double decker brownies.
It seems like it's been ages since we've had them in the house. I gave away the last batch and have been severely craving them since. I got my pan back yesterday, so today was the day.
I can't wait for them to cool down! I know what I'll be eating for breakfast. lol

Busy evening tonight. I have two NYT loaves mixed and will bake them in the morning. I also made a poolish for a loaf of Italian for Mother's Day dinner of Lasagna that oldest DD will bring over tomorow. The Italian will be laced with Italian seasonings, minced onion and chives fresh from the garden. I'll cover the top of the loaf with fresh grated Asiago (sp?)cheese picked up at the market. Just before dinner I'll slather it with butter and garlic and pop it in the oven for outrageous garlic bread. Lastly, there's a full recipe of cinnamon rolls in the oven as we speak. Should be a good meal and dessert for DW's dinner tomorrow.

Joe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom