"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu
Closed Thread

Old 03-28-2008, 12:04 PM   #251
Everymom

Never did get to the granola yesterday, so I will try that today. I am also thinking of making reese's bars or multiple choice bars. I have some Smarties to use up (not US Smarties, Canadian ones) and some graham cracker crumbs and a can of condensed milk. Sounds like a winning combo to me. I'll post the recipe if it works out!

Old 03-28-2008, 12:12 PM   #252
Certified Cake Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alix View Post
Never did get to the granola yesterday, so I will try that today. I am also thinking of making reese's bars or multiple choice bars. I have some Smarties to use up (not US Smarties, Canadian ones) and some graham cracker crumbs and a can of condensed milk. Sounds like a winning combo to me. I'll post the recipe if it works out!
Okay, I will bite - what IS the difference between Canadian and American Smarties.....ours don't have the blue ones? I haven't eaten smarties for years.

http://beinglydia.com
Old 03-28-2008, 12:20 PM   #253
Everymom

Nope, theirs are like what we call Rockets here. You know, those sort of flat compressed sugar things that come in tubes and you get them usually at Halloween? They don't have our Smarties there, they only have M&M's. I have to say, its irrational considering they are made of basically the same stuff, but I prefer Smarties to plain M&M's. Weird huh? Now PEANUT M&M's are another story...they are ambrosia and should never be put IN anything (except your mouth!)
Old 03-28-2008, 12:24 PM   #254
Master Chef

No-knead bread in the cast iron dutch oven.
Old 03-28-2008, 02:55 PM   #255
Certified Cake Maniac

Quote:
Nope, theirs are like what we call Rockets here. You know, those sort of flat compressed sugar things that come in tubes and you get them usually at Halloween? They don't have our Smarties there, they only have M&M's. I have to say, its irrational considering they are made of basically the same stuff, but I prefer Smarties to plain M&M's. Weird huh? Now PEANUT M&M's are another story...they are ambrosia and should never be put IN anything (except your mouth!)
I just googled smarties and got a US page and you are right! Wow, who would have thunk! As far as I am concerned, Smarties were first and M&Ms were just a poor copycat!

The one thing about M&M's (and this will keep this on topic), is that they have the small baking ones. I sprinkle them on top of this one bowl brownie recipe I have instead of frosting - they are yummy!

Old 03-28-2008, 08:09 PM   #256
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by MexicoKaren View Post
JpMcgrew, thanks so much for your encouragement. Most people in the US don't understand the day of the dead - my sister thinks my paintings are "morbid." There is so much in the Mexican culture to celebrate. I feel very lucky to be here.
Finally had a chance to see you paintings totally awesome. Do you sell a lot of them? Santa Fe would be a great place to sell them. Another question how did you end up in Mexico? Your house is beautiful love the colors. It looks like a great place to live lI love all the Iguanas etc. Is it possible to retire there if you are not a millionaire?
Old 03-28-2008, 08:23 PM   #257
Hospitality Queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by LPBeier View Post

The one thing about M&M's (and this will keep this on topic), is that they have the small baking ones. I sprinkle them on top of this one bowl brownie recipe I have instead of frosting - they are yummy!
Oh yeah - Alix do you have the minis? They rock!

I need to bake something for dessert tonight...(the brownies I made last night are gone...and neither dh nor I had so much as a crumb!)

I'm thinking another batch of my favorite chocolate chip cookies (made with my no-soy chocolate chips, of course) will be ready for this evening's sweet-tooth-attack
Old 03-28-2008, 09:46 PM   #258
Certified Cake Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkath View Post
Oh yeah - Alix do you have the minis? They rock!

I need to bake something for dessert tonight...(the brownies I made last night are gone...and neither dh nor I had so much as a crumb!)

I'm thinking another batch of my favorite chocolate chip cookies (made with my no-soy chocolate chips, of course) will be ready for this evening's sweet-tooth-attack
Alix and I are just a province away so I think they would have the minis too!

BTW, JKath, what do you mean by no-soy chocolate chips?

Thanks.

Old 03-28-2008, 10:48 PM   #259
Executive Chef

Quote:
Yum! That does sound good Alix.
Do you eat the red ones last?
I like the orange ones myself.

No baking to me today. Double decker brownies tomorrow to take to a party.
Old 03-28-2008, 10:57 PM   #260
Certified Cake Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by corazon View Post
Yum! That does sound good Alix.
Do you eat the red ones last?
I like the orange ones myself.

No baking to me today. Double decker brownies tomorrow to take to a party.
Oh, here I go again on the Smarties. A friend of mine actually tried to tell us that she could taste the difference between the orange ones and the others. We blindfolded her and, alas....she couldn't

No wonder I don't get anything baked, I am on the computer too much! Well tomorrow I have been a good girl and rested my leg almost all day so I am hoping tomorrow I can get some stuff done.

Closed Thread

Tags
rye bread