What are you baking today?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
just to give a hint about NYT bread, it's so much fun to experiment with ingredients to add to it. last nights' was great. but about the shortbread, unless I already said this, I won't be adding the vanilla anymore, no matter how many people list it as an ingredient in the shortbread cookies, it really makes them hard:( and they are so perfect with the standard 3 ingreds, I'm sticking to those.:-p

To Joe and Russell:

I've made home made cinnamon rolls, and I do it at least once a year every year because they are asked for on Super Bowl Sunday for some reason.
Guess family thinks it's now a tradition.
Anyway, what I always have to remind myself, always, always, is to take them out short of the time suggested. To me, I can't stand them getting dry, I'd rather them be just 2 minutes underdone that 5 minutes overdone. There could be residual cooking when taking them out of the oven, and they are so much trouble or effort to make if you let them go too far. Only telling you this because I see you both made them and that reminded me to let you in on a hint, take them out sooner than later.
Also wonder if anyone ever made them with the frozen dinner rolls, defrosted on top of fridge all night, with butter/sugar/brown sugar/cinnamon/raisins/walnuts/vanilla pudding mix/more butter, then baked. They are crazy sticky gooey yummy morsels. YUMMM

Making two loaves of NYT in the Le Cloche oblong baker, plus a large batch of sandwich buns. DW made chocolate chip cookies this a.m. already. It's going to be 93 today so we're staying indoors with the A/C on.
Joe

Forgot to mention that on Friday I made cake mix cookies with a cherry chip mix. I added mini chocolate chips, marachino cherries (thanks Dave) and a little bit of the marachino syrup for colour and flavour. They were so good I had to hide some for my samples - the rest are GONE!!!!!!!!

Today I have to make another batch of Monkey Bite Muffins, some diabetic cookies for our border's lunch and I am going to also try a spice cake mix with shredded apple and raisins. If my pain levels remain as high as they are, DH will be baking as I sit in my comfy basket chair and "supervise"!

I don't know if I am going to bake, it is too hot, in the 90's.
I decided to make the 5 min. a day bread , with Vermont cheddar cheese. It is rising and will be baking by supper time. I like the 5 Min a day bread because I can bake the bread same day I make the dough. ;)

Last edited:
Well, it's all done for a few days. Great rise with all this heat and humidity today. I used an egg white wash on the rolls to hold the sesame seeds in place, and really got a lot of color as well. I tired of the seeds all falling off with just water to hold them in place, because we like the flavor of the seeds.

img_622569_0_1a5c9c31243678ead860c33c3bd9e5a4.jpg

I made the NYT in the La Cloche with 10-grain cereal on top. DW really likes the profile of this bread better than the round loaf, but agrees that they both have their place for presentation. The long loaf will be better for making small Paninni's at 4" wide x 3-1/2" high.

img_622569_1_8242415fd18bf08e878d03142767f20a.jpg

I love this experimenting. Has anyone tried using the round NYT loaves like a pumpernickel with a dip in the center? Maybe a nice dill dip would go well with the white bread, but I guess you could also do the spinach dip.

Joe

Joe, can you please upload a picture of your La Cloche baker? I am very interested in it.

Also, is that a "real" toaster with a unique cover on it? It reminds me in a funny way of Bob Bloomer's "toaster mobile" even though it is totally different from it!

Ask and ye shall receive...

img_622582_0_1a9d89ec7501313de144c602b89696fa.jpg

Personally, I like it better filled with bread. LOL

img_622582_1_904f2d787eb8b255c7db71ce2bc94187.jpg

I bought it through Breadtiopia.com at La Cloche Clay Baker - Oblong
Checked around and nobody had it cheaper (including shipping).

Joe

Last edited:
Thanks, Katie, I didn't see your reply about the cookie jar before I posted again! You were right! I don't know why I didn't guess that!

I just removed a pan of pecan rolls from the oven.
That fudge cake sounds so good!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom