What are you baking today?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks Ma for that link to the banana bread. I will make it as soon as I have six brown bananas in the house.

Thanks for the link to the video Mama. What's the white bit in the middle of your banana bread slice?

That's butter melting on a warm slice of the bread! :w00t:

I was beginning to suspect why my banana bread was so good. I have been using only frozen bananas for the past 10 years or so. My recipe calls for 1.25 cups of banana. That's usually 5 frozen bananas. They shrivel a bit and a lot of frost develops in the bag, that must be moisture escaped from the 'nanas.

Next time I will peel the 'nanas into a colander and reduce the liquid.

I personally think freezing is easier than all that fussing with the microwave. Of course, I almost always have some frozen 'nanas in the freezer. We never seem to finish them before they are too ripe. Well, actually I buy enough to save some for 'nana bread. I let them get really, really ripe before I freeze them.

Reducing the liquid gives it an amazingly strong banana flavor.

I saw an episode of ATK the other day where they made the ultimate banana bread so I thought that I would give it a try. Okay, so now it's my new banana bread recipe. It is so full of banana flavor! It is amazing!!!! Not that my old banana bread recipe was bad :LOL: but this is just incredible. It's a little more work than regular banana bread since you use more bananas (6 large for one loaf), you have to microwave them, strain and then take the juice and reduce it in a saucepan. It really concentrates the banana flavor.

May I have the recipe please? I couldn't figure out how to get the recipe without watching the show. :huh:

I have an AMAZING banana bread recipe. It was given to me by the head chef from the Beaver Club at the Queen Elizabeth Hotel in Montreal. When I worked as a Tour Manager, I practically lived at the Queen Elizabeth for the summer and there was always fresh fruit and this banana bread in my suite. You line your pans with buttered parchment paper and bake it at 275 for 2-1/2 hours. It is a very moist banana bread. I didn't promise not to share the recipe (nor was I asked not to), but PM me if you'd like it. I don't feel right about posting it on the Internet. I also have the recipe for the Beaver Club's chocolate mousse.

Dessert was apple crisp (granny smith apples, lemon zest, lemon juice, cinnamon, nutmeg, raisins, walnuts, pinch salt, Splenda brown sugar and melted butter) topped with blended butter, lemon zest, lemon juice, cinnamon, nutmeg, pinch salt and uncooked rolled oats)

img_985988_0_816f0e0671eb3ccfe2d36f13f6160e6a.jpg

Dessert was apple crisp (granny smith apples, lemon zest, lemon juice, cinnamon, nutmeg, raisins, walnuts, pinch salt, Splenda brown sugar and melted butter) topped with blended butter, lemon zest, lemon juice, cinnamon, nutmeg, pinch salt and uncooked rolled oats)

img_986077_0_816f0e0671eb3ccfe2d36f13f6160e6a.jpg

That topping looks soooo good. Would you post the whole recipe, please?:chef:

That topping looks soooo good. Would you post the whole recipe, please?:chef:
Thank you Z. But that is the basic recipe. Baked at 375F on convection bake. I don't measure anything except it was 6 apples and 1 nice size lemon. I will try to work up a recipe but it may be a day or so. Please remind me.

Mama said:
I saw an episode of ATK the other day where they made the ultimate banana bread so I thought that I would give it a try. Okay, so now it's my new banana bread recipe. It is so full of banana flavor! It is amazing!!!! Not that my old banana recipe was bad :LOL: but this is just incredible. It's a little more work than regular banana bread since you use more bananas (6 large for one loaf), you have to microwave them, strain and then take the juice and reduce it in a saucepan. It really concentrates the banana flavor.

America’s Test Kitchen :: Watch Our Show

Definitely want to try this :)

well actually yesterday I made a carrot cake for tonights company...

hey Uncle Bob:) I think you requested a photo of my carrot cake a while back....I made some for you this time:chef:

Attachments

• DSCN3695.jpg
    DSCN3695.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 165
  • DSCN3691.jpg
    DSCN3691.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 171
A few hours ago backed a 9” round cake, substituting nutmeg and cardamom in place of vanilla as we've found pretty well all vanilla over the last few years to be near tasteless.
Reminds me of the film Meet the Fockers, where a cake with a whole in the middle is referred to as a bunt. We've curled up with laughter whenever we've watched it.

Made a 3 layer red velvet cake with creamy white frosting and marzipan flower cut outs...had so much fun making it and it came out delicious...

Attachments

• 04042011228.jpg
    04042011228.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 181
  • 04042011235.jpg
    04042011235.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 179
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom