What have you had for breakfast lately?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yesterday was grated cauliflower "rice," a vegetarian "sausage" patty topped with a poached egg. I've been on a cauliflower rice kick this week...maybe it's me, but I prefer the purple cauliflower...I know it isn't supposed to taste different, but it seems to have less of that strong taste people don't like re: white cauliflower.
I've never tried cauliflower rice but I see it is quite simple. Does it have a good flavour or does that depend on other things, e.g. using some butter? I see recipes say 5 mins - still soft or with some bite?

I have a good recipe that sort of stir fries cauliflower florets (with softened onion and garlic), finished off by placing a lid over frying pan. Tasty.

I grated it, added some butter, nuked it for 1.5 minutes and then added soy sauce. I had read that cooking it with water turns it to mush. I had three heads of cauliflower leftover from testing some ideas for recipes, so thought...why not give the cauliflower rice a whirl
(nuking it keeps that "smell" that turns some people off to a minimum). Had it again last night with the last of the lamb chops I'd been "playing with" for recipes.

Last edited:
I grated it, added some butter, nuked it for 1.5 minutes and then added soy sauce. I had read that cooking it with water turns it to mush. I had three heads of cauliflower leftover from testing some ideas for recipes, so thought...why not give the cauliflower rice a whirl
(nuking it keeps that "smell" that turns some people off to a minimum). Had it again last night with the last of the lamb chops I'd been "playing with" for recipes.
Ah by 'nuked' I guess you mean microwave. Don't have that (by choice) but have seen recipe to stir fry it....about 5 mins hence why I asked should it be totally soft or with a bit of cruch? Guess it depends on choice.

Last edited:
Another snow day for the boys, So we are going to be super busy today and need a lot of energy as soon as this snow stops. So I cut 3 nice and fatty 10oz. rib eyes about 5/8" thick, dried and salt and peppered them, cooked them in the skillet, then cooked the eggs in another pan, then cooked some {pre seasoned and boiled} home fries in yet another pan, and in the 4th pan I toasted some buttered sour dough slices...

So needless to say we are all now stuffed full and there is a huge pile of dishes to clean, and its still snowing...

I am already thinking about lunch, is that bad?

Ah by 'nuked' I guess you mean microwave. Don't have that (by choice) but have seen recipe to stir fry it....about 5 mins hence why I asked should it be totally soft or with a bit of cruch? Guess it depends on choice.
It has a bit of "crunch" left. Didn't think to stir fry it.

good thing we had them steak and eggs this morning we just got home about 6am.. Long day for the kids I am ordering them chinese food for dinner, lol...

Two scrambled eggs mixed with quinoa and chopped spinach, a slice of toasted rye, and a Halo. Coffee.

Bacon and tomato omelette with toasted artisan bread. (Broke off some bits from a ham hock that I made a minestrone out of).

I can not wait for tomorrows breakfast, a friend of mine brought over a slab of dry cured bacon {he made}, and 2 dozen eggs from his farm, also some goat cheese and jarred honey, all from his farm, his tractor wouldnt start so I went and plowed his roads and driveways for him.

Anyway I am going to run that bacon through the slicer on 7 at least 5 times, fry it up and just before its about done, drop in 3 eggs and sprinkle on some goat cheese, black pepper, and shredded fresh spinach... With a big hunk of toast.. I'll do this after my kids go to school so I don't have to share... :)

I had some home made, cold turkey meat loaf with an organic carrot and some buttered multi grain bread, toasted.

I don't like to use the oven just for one thing so, yesterday, when I bought a reduced item to bake, I also bought the reduced turkey mince and made it into a meat loaf to bake alongside it. My own concoction of turkey breast mince, sauteed onions and garlic in duck fat (to give the turkey breast some moisture), sun dried tomatoes chopped, dried crumbs (saved and grated), thyme, peri peri seasoning, and of course an egg!

To check the flavour, I followed a tip and fried off a small spoonful of it. Tasty. Not having a recipe, I was a bit unsure when it was cooked, e.g. kept prodding and looking into the centre of the loaf. When I saw cooked juices exude from it and the sides going crisp it was done.

Last edited:
2 eggs medium, slice of ham, sausage patty, bacon, grits, biscuits and gravy, potatoes, and coffee, "the sampler @ Cracker Barrel"
I'm from UK so not familiar with 'biscuits and gravy'....presumably not sweet biscuits?

Two perfectly cooked sunny side up eggs and two slices of toast.
I HATE runny whites but I've discovered a way of frying the white all of the way through and the edges are crispy, yet maintain a liquid golden yolk just right for dipping the corner of your toast. In this case, Italian bread with sesame seeds.

Two perfectly cooked sunny side up eggs and two slices of toast.
I HATE runny whites but I've discovered a way of frying the white all of the way through and the edges are crispy, yet maintain a liquid golden yolk just right for dipping the corner of your toast. In this case, Italian bread with sesame seeds.
So, will you share your discovery?

I have found that, once the egg is cracked into the frying pan, placing a lid over the pan after a minute or so will cook through the egg white and has an almost poached appearance to the egg yolk (not unattractive).

Fried Eggs

Perfectly Fried Sunny Side Up Eggs

Drop two pats of butter in a medium hot pre-heated skillet, swirl until you've coated the entire bottom of the pan and then turn down to medium to medium low heat. Crack in the eggs, shake the pan to spread the white and then place a lid (mine is glass so I can keep track of the cooking) but place the lid offset so the steam can escape but keeps most of the heat in. About three minutes of cooking will begin to develop the crispy edge but as soon as the white over the yolk begins to look cloudy (cooked) it's time to carefully loosen the bottom of the egg(s) with your spatula, working around the edges first. Once they are loose, carefully slide them off onto the serving plate. Don't try to lift them completely out with the spatula or you may break the yolk.
Enjoy! :chef:

Back
Top Bottom