What have you had for lunch lately?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I brought my sweetie to the Danish Club Valentine's Day luncheon. We had a great time. He ate too much and found out that there is at least one kind of pickled herring that he likes, matjes herring. We enjoyed ourselves. The food is a team effort, with different people making the various "dishes". This was the menu.

Danish Club Valentine's Day luncheon 2024-02-14.png

The venue was Maison Louis-Joseph Forget, an historic building in the "Golden Square Mile" of Montreal. It's a really pretty venue.

Last edited:
We'll be having mac and cheeze with broccoli. WW macaroni, a 'cheeze' sauce made with red peppers, smoked paprika, and liquid smoke, and broccoli stems and little trees.

We'll be having mac and cheeze with broccoli. WW macaroni, a 'cheeze' sauce made with red peppers, smoked paprika, and liquid smoke, and broccoli stems and little trees.

I like broccoli Mac and cheese as a quick, light meal, but I don't use WW. I keep some little Stouffer's Mac and cheese cups in the freezer. I always have frozen broccoli in the freezer, too. It takes about five minutes to cook up. A little parm tossed in at the end adds a nice accent.

CD

I made an unusual dish for a late lunch, or snack - some 1,2,3,4,5 chicken gizzards, or 5 spice chicken gizzards, for a name most would know better. The 1,2,3,4,5 name is from a dish I've been making since the 80s, which is for spareribs, chopped into 1 to 1½" pieces (I have a large, heavy chopping board that one side is all hacked up, from chopping hundreds of those things, through the years), and 1½ lbs gets put in a 9½" sauté pan (or the 12" sauté pan for a double recipe), to which I add 1 tb Chinese cooking wine, 2 tb soy sauce (I always do 1 light and 1 dark), 3 tb white vinegar, 4 tb sugar, and 5 tb water, and just an option, but delicious, about a tsp of Chinese 5 spice powder. This is brought to a boil, and cooked 45 min. over medium low heat, stirring a couple times. Then the liquid is boiled down to a syrup (sometimes not much is left!), then served, with all that syrup scraped from the pan. This is a favorite among my friends, and I have used the method and numbers for many other dishes - usually 1 lb, if boneless, and for things like boneless chicken thighs, I'll remove the thighs after 20 min, then boil down the liquid by itself, then put the chicken back into the syrup. In this case, I cooked the 2 lbs of gizzards in the Instant Pot, under pressure for 75, and it released after 13 minutes, then I hit Off, then Sauté, and adjust once, to cook on high, until syrupy - maybe 15 min, or a little less. They were super tender, and had that "irony" taste gizzards have, even more so.
The gizzards in the Instant Pot, showing the syrup after boiling down on High Sauté mode, from about an inch deep. by pepperhead212, on Flickr
About a quarter of the finished 5 spice chicken gizzards, pressure cooked 75 minutes, then boiled down to a syrup. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Taylor ham on toasted and buttered english.

taylor_ham_030524_1_IMG_2440.jpg

Back
Top Bottom