"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Salads & Salad Dressings

Old 03-29-2011, 03:23 PM   #1
Senior Cook

Baba Ghanouj Salad

Ingredients:
1 large eggplant
2 cloves garlic, mashed
3 tablespoons raw Tahini
Juice of 1 fresh lemon
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
Fresh mint leaves for garnish
Salt to taste

Preparation:
Place the eggplant on a skillet and on low heat burn the eggplant.
Turn it from side to side for 1 hour until it is completely blackened
Remove from heat and leave it to cool
Peel the blackened crust of the eggplant by using a knife. Do not put it under tape water.
Place the peeled eggplant, mashed garlic, raw Tahini, lemon and salt in the blender.
Blend until you have a smooth thick paste.
Remove from the blender and place the salad in a medium sized bowl.
Add the extra virgin olive oil on top and garnish with mint leaves.

Refrigerate for 30 min. before serving

Old 03-29-2011, 04:21 PM   #2
Head Chef

Thanks for the recipe Mrs Mom. It looks great.

Josie

Old 03-29-2011, 06:04 PM   #3
Master Chef

Sounds good. Personaly I just use oven. Bake the eggplant in the oven for about an hour. Proseed a s above. I just do not have time to stand in front of the stove for an hour.
Old 03-29-2011, 08:00 PM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
That looks like my recipe, but I put the eggplant in the oven at 350F for about 45 minutes, until it is completely soft. I let it cool and cut it in half and scoop out the "meat" and drain it for a few minutes.

It makes a great dip for tortilla chips, potato chips, pita, or strips of toast.
Old 03-29-2011, 08:35 PM   #5
Master Chef

I pierce them (in the summer), then place them on the charcoal grill when I'm cooking something else, until the eggplant skin blackens. Wrap in foil, refrigerate and save for making the baba ganough the next day. Good extra flavor.
Old 03-29-2011, 08:40 PM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire View Post
I pierce them (in the summer), then place them on the charcoal grill when I'm cooking something else, until the eggplant skin blackens. Wrap in foil, refrigerate and save for making the baba ganough the next day. Good extra flavor.
Oh yeah, I forgot to mention piercing them. I'll have to try that on the hibachi when it warms up.
Old 03-29-2011, 11:01 PM   #7
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josie1945 View Post
Thanks for the recipe Mrs Mom. It looks great.

Josie
I hope you try it and enjoy.
Old 03-30-2011, 01:07 AM   #8
Executive Chef

Thank you Mom for the Egyptian Caviar
Old 03-30-2011, 05:44 AM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire

I do my eggplant on the BBQ...well, I had some on the BBQ one day and then had a vet emergency...I was 1/2 way to the vet clinic when I remembered that there were eggplant on the BBQ...I went to the vet and when I got home, the eggplant were very well done...best baba ghanoug I've ever made. I did worry the whole time I was at the clinic that the house would be on fire when I got back because the BBQ was on the deck and close to the house...fortunately, that didn't happen.
Old 03-30-2011, 05:46 AM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire

If you're going to make baba ghanoug, you probably will want to make pita bread. I make the dough for mine in my breadmachine and "soften" it in a brown paper bag.

Tags
recipe, salad, e

Baba Ghanouj Salad [IMG]http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/members/36268-albums323-picture2632.jpg[/IMG] [SIZE=3][SIZE=4][B][COLOR=Indigo][FONT="]Ingredients:[/FONT][/COLOR][/B][/SIZE] [/SIZE] [SIZE=3][COLOR=Indigo][FONT=Symbol] [/FONT][B][FONT="]1 large eggplant[/FONT][/B][/COLOR] [/SIZE] [SIZE=3][COLOR=Indigo][FONT=Symbol] [/FONT][B][FONT="]2 cloves garlic, mashed[/FONT][/B][/COLOR] [/SIZE] [SIZE=3][COLOR=Indigo][FONT=Symbol] [/FONT][B][FONT="]3 tablespoons raw Tahini[/FONT][/B][/COLOR] [/SIZE] [SIZE=3][COLOR=Indigo][FONT=Symbol] [/FONT][B][FONT="] Juice of 1 fresh lemon[/FONT][/B][/COLOR] [/SIZE] [SIZE=3][COLOR=Indigo][FONT=Symbol] [/FONT][B][FONT="]2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil[/FONT][/B][/COLOR] [/SIZE] [SIZE=3][COLOR=Indigo][FONT=Symbol] [/FONT][B][FONT="]Fresh mint leaves for garnish[/FONT][/B][/COLOR] [/SIZE] [SIZE=3][COLOR=Indigo][FONT=Symbol] [/FONT][B][FONT="]Salt to taste[/FONT][/B][/COLOR] [/SIZE] [SIZE=3][COLOR=Indigo] [/COLOR] [/SIZE] [SIZE=3][SIZE=4][COLOR=Indigo][B][FONT="]Preparation:[/FONT][/B][/COLOR][/SIZE] [/SIZE] [SIZE=3][COLOR=Indigo][FONT=Symbol] [/FONT][B][FONT="]Place the eggplant on a skillet and on low heat burn the eggplant.[/FONT][/B][/COLOR] [/SIZE] [SIZE=3][COLOR=Indigo][FONT=Symbol] [/FONT][B][FONT="]Turn it from side to side for 1 hour until it is completely blackened[/FONT][/B][/COLOR] [/SIZE] [SIZE=3][COLOR=Indigo][FONT=Symbol] [/FONT][B][FONT="]Remove from heat and leave it to cool[/FONT][/B][/COLOR] [/SIZE] [SIZE=3][COLOR=Indigo][FONT=Symbol] [/FONT][B][FONT="]Peel the blackened crust of the eggplant by using a knife. Do not put it under tape water.[/FONT][/B][/COLOR] [/SIZE] [SIZE=3][COLOR=Indigo][FONT=Symbol] [/FONT][B][FONT="]Place the peeled eggplant, mashed garlic, raw Tahini, lemon and salt in the blender.[/FONT][/B][/COLOR] [/SIZE] [SIZE=3][COLOR=Indigo][FONT=Symbol] [/FONT][B][FONT="]Blend until you have a smooth thick paste.[/FONT][/B][/COLOR] [/SIZE] [SIZE=3][COLOR=Indigo][FONT=Symbol] [/FONT][B][FONT="]Remove from the blender and place the salad in a medium sized bowl.[/FONT][/B][/COLOR] [/SIZE] [SIZE=3][COLOR=Indigo][FONT=Symbol] [/FONT][B][FONT="]Add the extra virgin olive oil on top and garnish with mint leaves.[/FONT][/B][/COLOR] [/SIZE] [SIZE=3][COLOR=Indigo][B][COLOR=#4d005f][FONT="]Refrigerate for 30 min. before serving[/FONT][/COLOR][/B][/COLOR][/SIZE] 3 stars 1 reviews