First crack at kimchi

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

4meandthem

Half Baked
I made kimchi this morning. I am going to make Jap chae and Bulgogi later.

1 head napa cabbage chopped
3 carrots shredded
1 bunch radishes sliced
1/2 head celery sliced on bias
1 bunch green onions sliced on bias 2-3 inches

for the dressing

1 lb gochujang chili paste
3-4 tbs dried korean red pepper ground
3 tsp fish sauce
1-2 tsp soy sauce
3-4 tbs rice vinegar

Mix the dressing ingredients and toss very well with other ingredients

Attachments

• IMG_2361.jpg
    IMG_2361.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 646
Never heard of kimchi with gochujang in it. Never heard of it measured by the pound either. But a pound of gochujang would be pretty overpowering.

And yes, it needs to ferment. I ferment mine in my basement

I prefer the fresher kimchi to fermented ones. I am not a fan of fermented food for the most part. I took a shot on the chili paste and while the kimchi is somewhat hot it is a little sweet too. I would make it again. We can call it kimchi style salad.

I like the sound (and looks) of this, 4Me, will have to give it a try! Have never made kimchi. Our local Korean place serves wonderful food, but I don't care for their kimchi.

Love bulgogi too.

Last edited:
I prefer the fresher kimchi to fermented ones. I am not a fan of fermented food for the most part. I took a shot on the chili paste and while the kimchi is somewhat hot it is a little sweet too. I would make it again. We can call it kimchi style salad.

You might want to do a search for "mul" (water) kimchi recipes. They are the light and fresh style kimchi.

We go through a lot of kimchi. We have a 2 gallon tub in the downstairs fridge.

I made kimchi this morning. I am going to make Jap chae and Bulgogi later.

for the dressing

1 lb gochujang chili paste
3-4 tbs dried korean red pepper ground
3 tsp fish sauce
1-2 tsp soy sauce
3-4 tbs rice vinegar

I agree with Jennyema.
Is it 1 Lb. chili paste 4meandthem?
Seems like a lot. Please advise if this amount is correct.
This sounds great. I have made KimChee and I love it, although I usually buy it.
Thanks. :yum:

I'm bumping this because I'm doing Kimchi. No carrots. This is sort of the recipe I'm following. Can't wait to have Kimchi with my poached eggs...

ww.chow.com/recipes/29505-basic-napa-cabbage-kimchi-kimchee

I put some hot pepper in with it while it is sitting in salt water. I keep tasting it. Do I really have to let the cabbage sit 12-24 hours? I don't know if I can wait that long...

I put some hot pepper in with it while it is sitting in salt water. I keep tasting it. Do I really have to let the cabbage sit 12-24 hours? I don't know if I can wait that long...

If you are going to eat it right away you do not have to salt it that long. The long salting time helps to preserve the kimchi.

Are the salted shrimp those dried ones one gets at the Asian market? I have some of those...do I rehydrate them first?

For kimchi recipes usually when they talk about salted shrimp they are talking about very small shrimp in a very salty brine.

They look like this
apr1106_shrimp.jpg

Last edited:
The kimchi turned out fantastic. I wonder how I lived this long without it (I've made it a few times now, but only within the last 1-2 years). If you haven't tried kimchi--you need to try it at least once (after that, I think you'll be hooked).

I was going to make a radish kimchi on Saturday but probably won't have the time... :-(

I am going to make the kimchi- gochujang sauce recipe for burgers that was in the August Bon Apetit with the kimchi I have in the fridge, though.

Last edited:
Has anyone canned kimchi? We make sauerkraut, am thinking we could make kimchi...but can we can it like sauerkraut?

I would think so, why not? Any high acid vegetable mix would probably work.

Back
Top Bottom