"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Salads & Salad Dressings

Old 01-23-2015, 07:21 PM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire

How about this?

Spinach Salad with Warm Bacon Dressing Recipe : Alton Brown : Food Network

Old 01-23-2015, 07:27 PM   #12
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Cook View Post
I'd love to try a really good Caesar salad but unfortunately we are a bit paranoid about raw eggs over here so the best we can do is a nasty powder in a packet which you reconstitutes with water. Bleuch!
You can use the yolks from hard boiled eggs with good results, just buzz it up in the blender so that it completely emulsifies into the dressing. Chop the whites and use as a garnish.

Old 01-23-2015, 08:21 PM   #13
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
I've made this salad three times just since Cheryl posted it on another thread. I use half the amount of olive oil called for and lemon juice instead of lime. It's really delicious and worthy of a stand alone meal.

Black Bean and Corn Salad II Recipe - Allrecipes.com
Thanks for reminding me Kayelle....I said I'd post it in the salad section and forgot. It is tasty, that's for sure. I'm so glad you like it as much as I do.
Old 01-23-2015, 08:24 PM   #14
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aunt Bea View Post
You can use the yolks from hard boiled eggs with good results, just buzz it up in the blender so that it completely emulsifies into the dressing. Chop the whites and use as a garnish.
That is a great idea! I have a bit of a problem with using raw eggs, too - probably totally unfounded. I'll try that.
Old 01-23-2015, 08:54 PM   #15
Executive Chef

This is a simple Orange Ginger Vinaigrette I recently found. It's on my " to try" list when I pick up some oranges. I know they were directing this recipe at me when they wrote: Keep the salad ingredients simple ( don't throw in some of everything from the frig and allow the dressing to star. Can't follow directions. I already wrote down add some onion and sliced chicken as a reminder. And perhaps some avocado slices ....

Orange Ginger Vinaigrette

zest of a medium-sized orange
juice of 1 medium-sized orange
2 tablespoons ginger, freshly grated
5-6 basil leaves, chopped
1 garlic clove, chopped
1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
1 cup extra virgin olive oil
salt and pepper to taste

For salad -- Keep it fairly simple and allow the dressing to star
  • mixed greens
  • tomatoes
  • cukes
  • (red onion)
  • (sliced grilled chicken)
Pulse the orange zest, ginger, and garlic in the food processor or blender until well combined. Add the juice, basil leaves, balsamic vinegar, salt and pepper and blend together. As the mixtures is blending, slowly add the extra virgin olive oil through the top opening of your food processor or blender. Add more salt and pepper if needed, then refrigerate until ready to use.

Adapted from "cooking and beer" (blog)
Old 01-23-2015, 10:47 PM   #16
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Cook View Post
I'd love to try a really good Caesar salad but unfortunately we are a bit paranoid about raw eggs over here so the best we can do is a nasty powder in a packet which you reconstitutes with water. Bleuch!
Raw eggs can be pasteurized to make them safe to eat, without cooking them.

It's an easy thing to do. Check YouTube for a video on it, or just google - How to pasteurized raw eggs.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 12:37 AM   #17
Master Chef

Aunt Bea, cleveland.com had an article about winter salads a while back. Since their search feature is basically non-existent, I did a quick googling and come up with lots of links. These few have promising looking entries:

Winter Salad Recipes for Healthy Dinner Ideas - Shape Magazine

http://www.buzzfeed.com/emofly/brigh...ads#.aowLM8Nqx

Warm Winter Salads | Food & Wine
Old 01-24-2015, 12:44 AM   #18
Head Chef

The black olive thread reminded me of a great salad we've had a couple times: Oranges + red onions + black olives dressed with a simple vinaigrette and fresh cracked pepper. Was delish! It's great with roasted chicken. ;)

We are fed by a food industry which pays no attention to health, and healed by a health industry that pays no attention to food - Wendell Berry
Zereh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 04:18 AM   #19
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheryl J View Post
That is a great idea! I have a bit of a problem with using raw eggs, too - probably totally unfounded. I'll try that.
I think you could also make a decent Caesar salad dressing by substituting commercial bottled mayonnaise for the raw egg yolks and oil, maybe thin it with a tablespoon or two of water if it is too thick.

Take a look at this version from our friends at Hellmann's!

Easy Caesar Dressing
Old 01-24-2015, 04:27 AM   #20
Master Chef

Thanks for all of the great ideas!

I'll see what looks good at the market tomorrow and give at least one of these a try next week. The orange, cayenne, black olive combination caught my eye, I have a dim memory of a fussy version of that salad from my childhood. A "black eyed Susan salad" made with a slice of orange on a bed of greens, a black olive in the center, drizzled with a sharp vinaigrette dressing.

Tags
recipe, salad, tomatoes

Inexpensive Winter Salad Ideas I'm looking for some suggestions from folks on inexpensive winter salads made with "fresh" supermarket vegetables. I make the standard cabbage salad, carrot salad, etc... I just need a couple of new ideas to add to my rotation. I also wanted to share this old standby from Marion Cunningham for "Fire and Ice Relish". I mix the dressing ingredients in a pyrex measuring cup and microwave it until it boils, then I let it steep while I prepare the vegetables. I use chunks of vegetables about the size of half a grape tomato. I also change up the vegetables depending on what I have on hand. Today I added a cucumber and a rib of celery. It is also good made with a finely minced fresh hot pepper instead of the cayenne. I like having a "scoop" salad in the fridge for a quick lunch or a dinner side. This one is good for 3 or 4 days. [URL="http://www.startribune.com/lifestyle/taste/recipes/99963759.html"]Recipe: Fire and ice relish | Star Tribune[/URL] 3 stars 1 reviews