"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Salads & Salad Dressings

Old 11-07-2010, 11:20 AM   #21
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
Good Seasonings Italian Salad Dressing, is that the one where you get one of their cruets
and pour in the mix, add vinegar to the line, add oil to the line and shake?
Yup!! You add oil, vinegar and water along with the packet and shake.

Old 11-07-2010, 12:05 PM   #22
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by msmofet View Post
Yup!! You add oil, vinegar and water along with the packet and shake.
I remember them from when I was a kid - when there were still dinosaurs

Old 11-07-2010, 12:17 PM   #23
Senior Cook

Quote:
Then you will rinse off the starch that helps the sauce stick to the pasta. That same Italian TV chef said that Italian grannies save the pasta water, in case they need to add some to make the sauce stick.
Yes, Taxlady, Good Seasonings does come in an envelope, but you don't have to buy the cruet with it. If you don't want to use the packet, you may make your own dressing. I often do that. Also when using an oil/vinegar dressing, you should not rinse the pasta -- the pasta won't absorb the dressing as well. Put the dressing (oil/vinegar) on the hot pasta then refrigerate the pasta. While the pasta cools, prepare the other ingredients, like the carrots, red peppers, etc. Add the other ingredients after the pasta has cooled. You may have to add extra dressing or oil depending on how much of the dressing the pasta absorbs. The salad is always better the next day.
Old 11-07-2010, 12:31 PM   #24
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShellyCooks View Post
Yes, Taxlady, Good Seasonings does come in an envelope, but you don't have to buy the cruet with it. If you don't want to use the packet, you may make your own dressing. I often do that.

I was just curious. I always make salad dressings from scratch.*

*Okay, not completely from scratch. I use store bought mayo in some and prepared Dijon in others. And of course, I didn't create the universe
Old 11-07-2010, 01:29 PM   #25
Senior Cook

Quote:
Then you will rinse off the starch that helps the sauce stick to the pasta. That same Italian TV chef said that Italian grannies save the pasta water, in case they need to add some to make the sauce stick.
So you think the dressing would not stick if I rinse the pasta too much? I know about saving the pasta water but I only do that when I am cooking something like pasta and broccoli rabe or something like that. When I make pasta with marinara sauce I don't add any pasta water. Actually I don't rinse it or I rinse it slightly. However, for pasta salad it would be the dressing I would be putting on not sauce.

I have made pasta salad before but with that I have used olive oil, herbs, broccoli and black olives (in that case you are coating it with the olive oil so no problem). It came out delicious but it takes some time - you have to soak the bouquet garni in the olive oil overnight to infuse the flavor into it. I would make that but I don't have fresh herbs on hand. So, since I had the broccoli slaw on hand I was trying to think of recipes that would go with that which I agree would be the mayonnaise/yogurt dressing. So, using a mayonnaise/yogurt dressing is another story that I am not familiar with which is why I sound so confused.
Old 11-07-2010, 01:45 PM   #26
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkaylady View Post
So you think the dressing would not stick if I rinse the pasta too much? I know about saving the pasta water but I only do that when I am cooking something like pasta and broccoli rabe or something like that. When I make pasta with marinara sauce I don't add any pasta water. Actually I don't rinse it or I rinse it slightly. However, for pasta salad it would be the dressing I would be putting on not sauce.

I have made pasta salad before but with that I have used olive oil, herbs, broccoli and black olives (in that case you are coating it with the olive oil so no problem). It came out delicious but it takes some time - you have to soak the bouquet garni in the olive oil overnight to infuse the flavor into it. I would make that but I don't have fresh herbs on hand. So, since I had the broccoli slaw on hand I was trying to think of recipes that would go with that which I agree would be the mayonnaise/yogurt dressing. So, using a mayonnaise/yogurt dressing is another story that I am not familiar with which is why I sound so confused.
If it were me, I would not rinse the pasta at all. I would add some of the yoghurt to it and toss and add the rest of the dressing later.
Old 11-07-2010, 01:49 PM   #27
Senior Cook

Quote:
If it were me, I would not rinse the pasta at all. I would add some of the yoghurt to it and toss and add the rest of the dressing later.
Thanks, that sounds like a plan.
Old 11-07-2010, 01:56 PM   #28
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkaylady View Post
Thanks, that sounds like a plan.
Let us know how it works out.
Old 11-07-2010, 11:19 PM   #29
Senior Cook

Quote:
Let us know how it works out.
I will. I will be making it tomorrow since it is for Tuesday. One thing no one mentioned was spices or seasonings to put in. I was thinking of some celery seed, sea salt and ground pepper. Is there any other seasoning or should I leave it at that. Sometimes when it comes to dressing I like to keep it simple.
Old 11-10-2010, 08:26 PM   #30
Senior Cook

Well the pasta salad came out good but I really made too much so I have leftover and I don't eat pasta. My BF is eating the leftovers, LOL.

If I were to make it again, I would make only one lb of pasta and I would mix all the ingredients besides the pasta together and put them into the pasta (which was already coated with dressing) at the same time so as not to stir too much which breaks some of the pasta. In this case I was adding things as I went along based on the taste and what I thought it needed. What I ended up putting in was:

2 lbs penne pasta (cooked)
1 (1 lb) bag of broccoli slaw (carrots were mixed in but not enough)
5 shredded carrots
2 large apples shredded
1 C of seedless green grapes - cut in half (approx.)
1 lb thick cut bacon cooked and broken into bits
6 oz chopped walnuts (approx.)

Dressing:

Mayo mixed with equal part of Non Fat Plain Yogurt, a half C of apple cider vinegar, a couple T of honey, celery seed, sea salt and pepper.

Tags
None