"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Special Events Planning & Holiday Cooking
Old 02-13-2006, 07:14 PM   #11
Assistant Cook

Wow, what happened? I'm sorry you don't feel comfortable sharing your suggestions with me. If you want, you can e-mail me. krigg01@msn.com.

hhaarrlleeyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2006, 08:03 PM   #12
Hospitality Queen
Chopstix, your ideas are wonderful! I can just picture them! I especially love the ideas of asking the guests to wear red to wish Mom good luck!

Come visit my foodie blog: www.SockmonkeysKitchen.com
This week's topic: Pinterest and Potatoes
jkath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2006, 05:37 PM   #13
Head Chef
Hi Mish! Please don't leave DC. I've sent you a PM.
'Never eat more than you can lift.' - Miss Piggy
Chopstix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2006, 05:43 PM   #14
Head Chef
Thanks Jkath!

H, Another idea is to serve Japanese seeweed snacks, peanuts, and other oriental munchies before dinner.
'Never eat more than you can lift.' - Miss Piggy
Chopstix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2006, 08:38 AM   #15
Master Chef
If you're going for an overal Asian influence (a la Hawaii, where all Asian cuisines mix), I can recommend nagi maki. Negi (I'm spelling it this way, but since it isn't done with our alphabet, you'll see it as nage, nagi, etc), if I remenber correctly, refers to green onions, and maki means to roll. At any rate, you take some beef and slice it as thin as you can. THEN you pound the living daylights out of it .

You cut it up into appropriate sizes, and wrap each piece around a scallion/green onion. In my family we also added a very thin slice of carrot.

You wrap it in these very thin slices of beef, and spear with a toothpick.

saute in a neutral oil and remove from the pan.

Deglaze the pan when you're through with one part sake (almost any fortified wine will do this -- if your friends like sweet foods use sweet vermouth, marsala, madiera, port or sherry, if not dry vermouth), one part soy sauce, and 1/2 part sugar.

A real recipe for this is on pgs 168-169 of the most recent edition of Joy of Cooking.

I've cheated and used jam, jellies, and syrups to replace the sugar. I use whatever cuts of beef I can get on sale (after all, I'm going to beat the living daylights out of it).

I like this one because I can make it a day or two in advance. It can be served at room temperature. It's a bit of work in advance, but it always a hit.
Claire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2006, 09:18 AM   #16
Master Chef
I buy a lot of party supplies from Oriental Trading. Here's the URL:

We get by with a little help from our friends
Constance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2006, 10:56 AM   #17
Executive Chef
Originally Posted by hhaarrlleeyy
It's actually Oriental in nature, not necessarily Chinese. I like the bamboo idea in the take out containers.
Glad you liked my suggestions Since it is not necessarily Chinese, here are some more ideas: (Btw, if there is something that appeals to you, you can use it as part of your permanent home decor and experiment with your own creativity.) These are merely decorating/party suggestions, that you can adapt as you wish to fit your theme.

For the outdoors you could line these up in rows on concrete with some pebbles or sand on the bottom, and sit a tea lite on top:

Or as part of an arranged table setting or use the take out containers to send out party invites.

Indoor/Outdoor Mobile:

Suspend little umbrellas/parasols on an embroidery hoop (can be purchased at a fabric/craft store).

Mobiles - if you have a Chinatown in your area - there used to be glass wind chimes that would look and sound festive outdoors or indoors - & are probably inexpensive.

Parasols - suspend from the ceiling, place on the table, in drinks or part of a centerpiece. A light behind them would set a nice mood.

Chinese fans - make them by hand with rice paper or whatever you have on hand to decorate the table, walls, etc.

Pebble Water Fountains: Make your own, or check around for low cost.

Incense - adds a nice aroma.

Dinner Napkins - Can be fan-folded with a decorative napkin and ring of choice.

Paper Dragons - Check around Chinatown - place on the wall, etc.

Oriental Dinner Trays - hang on the wall, or place tea pot and matching cups on the tray on the table.

I love Kimonos! I wear them often, and have been looking for a special one to hang on the wall as part of my decor. If it fits into your theme, go for it. You could also drape an Obi or two on the wall.

Also, check out Pier One.

I have some more ideas, but don't want to lose the post.

mish is offline   Reply With Quote