"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Special Events Planning & Holiday Cooking

Old 12-22-2012, 04:42 PM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire

A small Smith-field ham,and my dressing mix for turkey thye love it, cranberry sauce, gravey oh yes they need gravey, asparagus with brown butter sauce, a roasted pan of Brussells sprouts, love them, fruit salad, and assortment of homebaked cookies and FUDGE!!! Starters will be prosciutto wrapped melon, Shrimp platter with cream cheese and chives .
kades

Old 12-22-2012, 04:45 PM   #12
Head Chef

Having my son & DIL over. She's bringing rolls. We'll have ham, cheesy potatoes, a zucchini casserole (the kind with tomatoes), and for dessert a Dutch Apple Loaf with hard sauce. But just today, my farmer's market lady put out her first strawberries of the season, so I may have to amend dessert plans. Those berries smell so good!

Old 12-22-2012, 07:43 PM   #13
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kylie1969 View Post
chicken roll with a lovely filling of pistachio nuts, bacon and sage which we will roast
ooh I like the sound of that! Would you mind sharing your recipe? <3

We are fed by a food industry which pays no attention to health, and healed by a health industry that pays no attention to food - Wendell Berry
Zereh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 07:52 PM   #14
Certified Pretend Chef

My daughters have to split their time between their mother and SO and me. As a result I suggested a buffet we can graze from as we open gifts and relax.

Both daughters are bringing dishes-marinated mushrooms, pigs in blankets, spinach and bacon crescents, meatballs in sauce with rolls.

I'm making deviled eggs, bacon wrapped kielbasa filled with garlic herb cheese, puff pastry roll-ups filled with prosciutto, Gruyere and basil and cheese stuffed mini peppers.

SO is making paklava for dessert.
Old 12-22-2012, 08:30 PM   #15
Admiral of the Texas Navy

So far we are planning a standing rib roast and a turkey. Asparagus, mashed potatoes, stuffing....not sure about all of it just now. Going to be at the in-laws house this year.

Old 12-22-2012, 08:35 PM   #16
Master Chef

Christmas Eve 2012 Menu

New England Clam chowder
Caesar Salad
Stuffed Clams
Fried Cod
Tater tots
Tartar sauce

Christmas 2012 Menu

Starter

Cream of Mushroom Soup

Entrée

Eye round roast
Burgundy gravy
Baked or mashed potatoes w/sour cream and chives
Baby spinach

Dessert

Cheesecake
Apple Pie
Old 12-22-2012, 08:45 PM   #17
Chef Extraordinaire

Going to mom's for Christmas dinner
Starter: Cheese, crackers, fresh fruit & wine

Dinner: Roast turkey & stuffing, Baked honey ham, Mashed potatoes & gravy, green bean casserole, buttered squash, sweet potatoes, corn (from the garden last summer), & homemade buns with butter.

Dessert: If anyone has room left...
Homemade ice-cream, ruhbarb custard pie, pumpkin pie, & chocolate dessert. As well as a tray of assorted goodies that everyone made for Christmas.

Everything in moderation........
Old 12-23-2012, 01:42 AM   #18
Everymom

Quote:
Originally Posted by simonbaker View Post
Homemade ice-cream, ruhbarb custard pie,
Rhubarb custard? How does that work? Doesn't the custard curdle? I'd love that recipe. (Have I asked this before? I feel like deja vu!)
Old 12-23-2012, 01:45 AM   #19
Executive Chef

DIL is planning ham, green bean bundles, some sort of potato or macaroni dish, etc. I will be there to help with it all. I'm getting excited! I just love Christmas!
Old 12-23-2012, 09:40 AM   #20
Executive Chef

Christmas Eve--
Appies-- ?
Beef stroganoff
green vegetable
popovers
homemade pickles from this summer's garden
salad
assorted cookies and ice cream dessert

I made krumkake and spritz, DxW who likes to bake and said she was cutting back this year, in the end, forgot her goal, so there will be plenty of sweets.

Christmas Day is at my SIL's.
Huge turkey dinner for all the family, and it is a huge production when everyone gets together. Served buffet style. SIL is smart and long ago bought folding "church basement" size tables to set up and tear down after dinner. Clean up is a joint effort. Cousins return the tables to basement storage, There is usually a creative way to choose a number or the short toothpick method for disshes duty. The turkey roasters, platters, larger things are sent to the basement and washed in the laundry tubs. The only people who are potentially left out of the act are those who play piano or a musical instrument, so we get Christmas Carols after dinner. Then the whole thing is unravelled and desserts and coffee are served.

Tags
christmas, dinner